Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2023, 11:28 AM   #1
Ph1syc
Ph1syc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Gen 10
Yet another bootlooping kindle (Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen)

Hey! so i posted this originally posted this on reddit and was told to post this here, so here i am!

around a year ago my friend purchased a kindle paperwhite gen 11 off of amazon brand new, a few weeks in it began bootlooping on the kid with tree screen for no apparent reason so he set it aside until he felt like fixing it, well a year later and it still laid around so i decided to take a shot at it, i have tried many different methods to fix it but non have worked yet (listed bellow), amazon have been extremely unsupportive and just offered the same solutions i have blatantly stated haven't worked. please note that the kindle has not been modded or jailbroken in any way.

THING I'VE TRIED:
1) Force rebooting (Holding the power button for 40 seconds and waiting 2 minutes)

2) Fully charge the device for 24h and force reboot

3) Let the battery drain completely, wait 24h and reboot

4) Connecting the kindle to my pc and putting a manual update file in the root folder (The kindle only appears for a split second and wont allow me to transfer any files over)

5) Opening it up and clean all the connectors (The bottom of the motherboard was unavailable unless i would break the case :/ )

6) Using this guide to flash the memory (I couldn't access the appropriate pins as the were on the inaccessible side of the motherboard, also i don't yet own a tty to usb cable)

(more absurd ones from a guide recommended on r/kindle)

7) Tapping, smacking, and slapping the kindle and force rebooting

8) Putting the kindle in the freezer for 30 minutes (i swear i'm not joking)

Any help would be appreciated
Ph1syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 12:20 AM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Did you check the USB connector? Any dust particulates? Try compressed air.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 07:17 AM   #3
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph1syc
(The kindle only appears for a split second and wont allow me to transfer any files over)
During that "split second" are you able to see if while computer detects Kindle as a removable device that drive has a size and file system / partition detected?

My PW5 doesn't, it is detected as a size 0 drive and non-formatted (but it is stays visible for like 10 seconds, X% of the time between 2 restarts in bootloop).

If your Kindle manages to actually export the FAT filesystem content you maybe could be successful in creating a empty "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" file using a Command Promt script that loops a command to create that file on a drive letter that you Kindle mounts to, and maaaaybe then the device manages to do a factory reset and fixes itself.

I had 2 out of 2 Kindle PW5 (aka Paperwhite 11th gen) stuck in a bootloop. "killed by a normal restart" bug / moment.

First unit after 2 weeks and the second after 15-16 months.
There was nothing to be done other that contacting Amazon support and ask for a replacement or a repair under warranty (I was "lucky" to have a Paperwhite Kids that comes with 2 year warranty instead of 1 year warranty that "regular" Paperwhite gets). My replacement of a replacement will be arriving next week but I'm still not sure if I should keep it and use it or if it is better to re-sell it to someone...

p.s. Don't bother with buying a TTY to USB cable. PW5 doesn't have contact pads for serial connection (it uses a special USB cable that plugs into USB-C connector) and anyways it is locked down.

Last edited by shamanNS; 12-24-2023 at 07:26 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bootloop, pw11, support