Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
NEW Nook Glowlight Plus

Now available at B&N website!

6.4" x 4.7"

coppery-gold aluminum body

claims to be waterproof and dustproof

can't find technical specs on the site yet - no idea of how the memory is partitioned

Last edited by Calenorn; 10-21-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
Maillemom
Connoisseur
Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Maillemom solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook STG, Nook Color, Kindle, Kobo H2O
Doesn't look like it has a slot for an SD card.

>>Holds thousands of books (4GB memory: 2.5 GB for content, of which 2GB is reserved for NOOK Store content).<<

That's a deal breaker for me. As much as I loved my NSTG I'll stick to my Kobo.
Maillemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maillemom View Post
Doesn't look like it has a slot for an SD card.

>>Holds thousands of books (4GB memory: 2.5 GB for content, of which 2GB is reserved for NOOK Store content).<<

That's a deal breaker for me. As much as I loved my NSTG I'll stick to my Kobo.
That sounds like the memory partition from the original Glowlight. I was hoping for some improvement.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Not in store yet? There's a BN in my neighborhood; I'll pop by today and confirm.

I'm not even considering this unless the whole font system has improved. I'm surprised by how large the non-screen border is. It also has a more boxy look--I liked the NST's rounded edges. I wonder if this will fit into my NST cover (which I picked up for less than $3 at a Staples sale!).

My NST is still chugging along pretty nicely so it's hard to justify a $130 outlay. I do want to join the lighted ereader community though.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I would really, really want one, except for that one little detail....500 MB for side loaded content? That's so 2009.

Oh, and those margins.....they look terribly wide.

Last edited by booklover6; 10-21-2015 at 10:11 AM.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I would really, really want one, except for that one little detail....500 MB for side loaded content? That's so 2009.
It is a nice looking device IMO, but as you say the segregated storage needs to go.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Without an upgrade to the side-loading memory, this really doesn't tempt me. But if they put the old Glowlight on fire sale, I might grab one of those.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Oh, and those margins.....they look terribly wide.
For some reason, I think they've got them set to the widest setting. Kind of poor advertising, in my opinion. Looks like a nice device though. The same 300 ppi as the Voyage and Paperwhite 3. It's nice to see that Barnes & Noble hasn't abandoned the e-Ink market.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...-now-available

Quote:
There is no word yet on what processor this has or how much RAM is currently available, but I asked B&N to provide this information. It does have 4 GB of internal memory, of which 2 GB is reserved for NOOK Store content and users have 2 GB in order to load in their own EPUB or PDF Files.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
2G is a whole lot better than 0.5G. This will have to be verified.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #11
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So is this comparable to the Kindle Voyage which sells at $199.99?

And any chance BN will have a Black Friday sale for it?

Edit: Nope, it's comparable to the Paperwhite, except being waterproof. And the PW is on sale for $99...hmmmm. I just really dislike the look of the PW and I'm inexplicably wedded to the epub format. Even though it's really a moot point since I borrow the majority of my books from the library. Smart money says go with Amazon right?

Last edited by tdonline; 10-21-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
2G is a whole lot better than 0.5G. This will have to be verified.
Agreed, but given how many times those guys have been wrong I'm going with B&N's website for now...
Quote:
Holds thousands of books (4GB memory: 2.5 GB for content, of which 2GB is reserved for NOOK Store content).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #13
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Agreed, but given how many times those guys have been wrong I'm going with B&N's website for now...
I agree. That's very clear; comparable to the 2013 GlowLight. Too bad.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would like to have a definitive answer from someone who has one in hand to check out the storage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #15
tdonline
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would like to have a definitive answer from someone who has one in hand to check out the storage.
I plan on going into BN today, how I would check this?