Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
voyager63
voyager63 began at the beginning.

Device: laptop windows 10
restoring lost Calibre library (computer lost)

computer lost, how can I recover/restore Calibre account lost with it? Pls use simple terminology, thanks.
voyager63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
If you've lost the computer with the disk containing the Calibre library, and you don't have any backup, then I don't see how you can hope to recover the library...
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager63 View Post
computer lost, how can I recover/restore Calibre account lost with it? Pls use simple terminology, thanks.
Do you have a backup of your calibre library stored on external media or in the cloud? If not, you are out of luck. If you do, you might want to post in the calibre forum where you are more likely to find help with calibre problems.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager63 View Post
Lost or not working?

Lost, then restoring from a backup (cloud copy) is the only way.
The only other chance is all your purchases are from vendors lik Amazon or Baen, where you can always get another download after signing in (note: Keep a hardcopy of all you accounts, so you know how to sign in)

If your only computer IS portable, then loss/theft is a big possibility. Strong password/fingerprint/face recognition is important as well as an encrypted drive. AND Off site backups
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Without knowing what "lost" means, I'll assume that means it won't boot. And I'll also assume you are using Windows. And that your hardware is good and you probably just have some corruption on your HDD. I know - lots of assumptions.

If the above assumptions are correct, I would burn a CD (or DVD) with "System Rescue CD" on it. And boot your "lost" computer from that CD. This may be all it takes to give you access to your hard drive. However, if the harddrive is corrupted, the first step is not to write anything further to that harddrive! You can copy the defective HDD to another HDD using "ddrescue" (that program is on the System rescue CD). Then you can atempt to recover files from the copy using a program named "photorec" (also found on System Rescue CD). Even though the name is "photorec", it recovers more than just photos.

However, I'm betting you will be able to boot off of System Rescue Cd and be able to access your HDD just fine without having to resort to "ddrescue" or "photorec". If your "lost" computer is a hardware failure, simply remove the HDD and install it in a different computer with good, bootable, hardware.

http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert