Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Question about 0.7.9 - what does this mean?

I am currently at 0.7.6. However, browsing here and with some of the threads about icons, I was looking at the changelog and considering updating. But, I have one question. The changelog states:

A new toolbar button to choose/create different calibre libraries. Be careful using it if you also use custom columns.

Could anyone elaborate on what this means or what to be careful of? I mean, right now I only have one library and no particular plans to have a 2nd, but...I am using custom columns. What is the catch here if I did choose/create a 2nd library?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It means that if your two libraries have different custom columns, you'll experience problems.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I haven't fiddled with this at all, not needing more than one library (at least to any extent greater than what I can manage with tags) but does the new library setup process give you the option to duplicate the structure, with or without the content, of your original library?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you move your library, it will duplicate. If you create a new one, it wont.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So if I wanted a 2nd library and wanted to keep the same custom columns, is the procedure simply to create the 2nd library and then create the exact same columns before importing/adding any books from library 1? Or is there a file to move that contains the information about the custom columns that can be copied to the 2nd library?
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just create the same custom columns. In any case the warning is temporary. In a few releases calibre should be able to handle multiple libraries with different custom columns gracefully.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
texasnightowl
Guru

Cool. Thanks. I'm considering a 2nd library for those books I will probably never re-read or just wish I could forget I ever read. I should just delete them altogether (I'm talking some that were really, really bad) but just can't quite bring myself to do it...
Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Cool. Thanks. I'm considering a 2nd library for those books I will probably never re-read or just wish I could forget I ever read. I should just delete them altogether (I'm talking some that were really, really bad) but just can't quite bring myself to do it...
I keep mine, identified with a tag called 'yecch' to make it easier to identify repeat offenders...
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy_s View Post
I keep mine, identified with a tag called 'yecch' to make it easier to identify repeat offenders...
Yep...using a tag right now too...because sometimes that 1 star rating is just not low enough