Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-07-2019, 12:49 AM   #1
masp
Enthusiast
masp began at the beginning.

Device: ipad air
how to revert to light mode in 4.0?

Hi: just got 4.0 working and finding the "dark mode" a bit hard to read: is there an option to switch back to "light mode"? (dark text on light background)

Thanks!
masp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I assume you are on macOS? Change your system appearance to light and calibre (or more precisely Qt) will pick it up automatically after a restart.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
masp
Enthusiast

Yes I am (mac os). I don't want to turn off dark mode system-wide but I'm finding calibre's text colors (especially blue hyperlinks) hard to read against the dark background (and also black text against a dark green background), so I was hoping that calibre would allow me to override the system setting and use a light background: not possible?

Last edited by masp; 10-07-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No not possible. But you can change the blue color in Preferences->Look & feel->Book details and the dark green in the edit metadata dialog box has become a baorder not a background in the next release
Old 10-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
masp
Enthusiast

Thanks for the pointers! I do have a strong preference for the dark-on-light (rather than light-on-dark) look for viewing databases like calibre, despite also preferring a system-wide "dark mode" for UI elements in general, so if it's possible to add an option to switch to the (pre-4.0) dark-on-light theme, that would be even better
Advert
Old 10-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This is not really something calibre does, it's automatic at the toolkit (Qt) level.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #7
masp
Enthusiast

Wow, I'm surprised that QT cedes so much control over the UI to the OS! Thanks for the clarification!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #8
masp
Enthusiast

FYI, I just discovered how to disable dark mode at the app level:

Quote:
defaults write net.kovidgoyal.calibre NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool yes
or revert to default with:

Quote:
defaults delete net.kovidgoyal.calibre NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance
Tested and works: I'm delighted!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Cool just dont later forget you did that and complain dark mode is not working
Old 10-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #10
HogDrvr
Connoisseur
HogDrvr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can somebody tell me exactly where and what I should alter to change the dark blue text while in dark mode? I assume it goes somewhere in the following:
Code:
table.fields {
    margin-bottom: 0;
    padding-bottom: 0;
}

table.fields td {
    vertical-align: top
}

table.fields td.title {
    font-weight: bold
}
HogDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just add

Code:
a { color: yellow }
at the top change the color to whatever yo uwant

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-18-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #12
HogDrvr
Connoisseur

I've tried putting { color: yellow } in every possible field including at the very top. I get no results and still can't read the text. I know it should only go in once and I'll delete all the extras as soon as I figure out just where the code should go.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You missed the "a" and put it only at the top
Old 10-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #14
HogDrvr
Connoisseur

Beautiful, thanks. I've got it working now.

In my humble defense, I read that as put a "block of code" instead of "a block of code". I read the "a" as an article in the sentence.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:53 AM   #15
tonyc46
tonyc46 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Gen 6
Same complaint. This fix worked for me. Thanks.
tonyc46 is offline   Reply With Quote