Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2019, 02:20 AM   #1
stridell
stridell began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre Viewer problem

Hello,
I recently downloaded calibre into my new pc. I also exported all the books that I had in my old pc into my new one. However, the reader in the new pc seems to be different. It shows less features and only parts of the full page. How can I fix this?

This is what it looks like :
https://i.imgur.com/5qGWpws.png
https://i.imgur.com/ElaopdT.png (when I right click for more options)

This is what I have in my old pc:
https://i.imgur.com/kNleRw2.png
stridell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:26 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See ==>> https://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2019, 02:41 AM   #3
stridell
stridell began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'm used to the old version, so I'm going to use that one for now. Thank you for the quick response.
stridell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:20 AM   #4
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I can't open all my books in the new viewer, I get the following error on at least 3 different books:

Quote:
calibre, version 4.0.0
ERROR: Loading book failed: Failed to open the book at D:\Calibre\[WIP Spuffy]\pfeifferpack\Eye of Eleos (762)\Eye of Eleos - pfeifferpack.epub. Click "Show details" for more info.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\ui.py", line 248, in _load_ebook_worker
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\convert_book.py", line 162, in prepare_book
WindowsError: [Error 5] Adgang n�gtet
Also, when I open a book it adds a cover I haven't asked for.

Last edited by Tanjamuse; 10-04-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:32 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Tanjamuse: that is an access denied error, check the permissions on your calibre cache folder and/or temporarily disable your antivirus.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2019, 03:35 AM   #6
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

How do I do that on a single library because in other libraries it works fine?

Also, can you add something where it shows the cover created by the Generate Cover plugin instead of an auto-created by Calibre?
Old 10-04-2019, 03:38 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All libraries share the same cache folder, so if it is not working for one particular library then either there is something special about the book sin that library or its an antivirus.

And no, I'm afraid cover generation is not going to be via a plugin. Use the embed metadata tool to embed the plugin covers in the book files, then the viewer will use them instead of generating its own
Old 10-04-2019, 04:00 AM   #8
Tanjamuse
Wizard

I've added the entire Calibre folder (where all my books are) to the exception-list in Avira.

Every folder is write-protected, including the ones that I can view just fine.

I still get the error.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:03 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Its not the library folders its the cache folder, something like C:\Users\whatever\AppData\Local\calibre-cache
Old 10-04-2019, 04:10 AM   #10
Tanjamuse
Wizard

Nope, still doesn't work
Old 10-04-2019, 04:11 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well send me one of these not working books and I will take a look.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:12 AM   #12
Tanjamuse
Wizard

Could it have something to do with the fact that there might be images in?
Old 10-04-2019, 04:22 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, the viewer works fine with images.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:00 AM   #14
isethia
isethia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I am also unable to open any of my e-books in Calibre with the new update, and am getting the same message.
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\convert_book.py", line 162, in prepare_book
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied
I am about to go back to the old version, because I expect a program I install to continue working properly and not randomly stop because of a new update that apparently requires to deactivate my anti-virus if I want to read stories on my computer.
isethia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:16 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by isethia View Post
I am also unable to open any of my e-books in Calibre with the new update, and am getting the same message.
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied
I am about to go back to the old version, because I expect a program I install to continue working properly and not randomly stop because of a new update that apparently requires to deactivate my anti-virus if I want to read stories on my computer.
(another clue supplied )
What FORMAT is in your Library for a book that fails? (The viewer does an on the fly convert to EPUB for some formats)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote