Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2019, 03:05 AM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Indeed, to each their own. I go by what works best for my eyes, and it isn’t outdated eInk technology. I already have an iPhone and iPad for other purposes, so it is a plus that they, or any comparable smartphone and tablet from other brands, work a lot better with my eyes than do eInk devices.
Okay. Fine. I don't own an expensive iPhone or iPad and I don't like LED screens for reading. Nor do I like the weight of a tablet (I don't even really like the weight of my 8" Tolino Epos eInk eReader). But you're not alone in preferring tablets and smartphones to eInk eReaders. And, as I mentioned before, to each their own. My "own" is using eInk eReaders. I don't see that ever changing.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
And, as I mentioned before, to each their own. My "own" is using eInk eReaders. I don't see that ever changing.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #63
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm.... KFX. 'Nuff said.
...which is easy to get around, and has already been cracked once, and will probably be cracked again.

I'm not sure if this is still valid, but this is from the FAQs on Apprentice Harper's Github:
Quote:
Decrypting KFX

Thanks to work by several people, the tools can now decrypt KFX format ebooks from Kindle for PC. In addition to the DeDRM plugin, calibre users will also need to install jhowell's KFX Input plugin which is available through the standard plugin menu in calibre, or directly from his plugin thread on Mobileread. Not that KFX decryption does not work for Kindle for Mac 1.25 and later.
Thanks

Thanks to jhowell for his investigations into KFX format and the KFX Input plugin. Some of these instructions are from his thread on the subject at MobileRead.
Shari

Last edited by shalym; 09-18-2019 at 06:38 PM.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:54 PM   #64
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is the convenience of the ecosystem. If you wait until it becomes neccessary to future proof your purchases, it will probably be too late. Buy for the device and download directly, but back up regularly. With Kobo and Kindle books the likelihood of the store folding and you losing access is relatively low. The real worry should be that from one day to the next the loopholes to conveniently remove DRM could be plugged.
This. And it is fidgety...IMNSHO.

so, all this talk got me to try again. And it worked. Well, in the first two books I tried and then it didn’t.

Oh...so I learn that I need an older version of the kindle pc app. So I uninstall, download that one, and set it to not automatically update.

And I liberate 3 more books that I am soon to read.

And....I argue a bit with someone here who disputes my “fidgety” description.

Well...@$&($)$...if that kindle app didn’t self update just yesterday....despite my having unchecked the auto update setting.

So BACK I go and uninstall the new and reinstall the old and reset it to not auto update. And while I have that old version installed, I downloaded all 328 books from my kindle library. One at a time as there was no “download all”.

So at least Imhave them downloaded. Ran the metadata download for all of them last night. Will export them all to ePub tonight. And try not to wait so long in the future to do this to any further purchases.

Like I said...fidgety. And it MIGHT not be so easy tomorrow.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:02 AM   #65
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
...which is easy to get around, and has already been cracked once, and will probably be cracked again.

I'm not sure if this is still valid, but this is from the FAQs on Apprentice Harper's Github:
Last time I looked, the updated KFX DRM was not removed. To quote from Apprentice Harper's release comments for 6.63:

Quote:
v6.6.3

@apprenticeharper apprenticeharper released this on Mar 30 · 4 commits to master since this release

The key needed to decrypt the values in the .kinf2018 file has changed over the .kinf2011 file. This version, although it can now find the .kinf2018 file on PC, cannot decode it after all.
Edit: The commits to master mentioned were clearing up a version number error and a couple of changes to FAQS.md and one to README.md.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-19-2019 at 02:04 AM. Reason: added comment on commits to master
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #66
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Last time I looked, the updated KFX DRM was not removed. To quote from Apprentice Harper's release comments for 6.63:

Edit: The commits to master mentioned were clearing up a version number error and a couple of changes to FAQS.md and one to README.md.
Where are you seeing that? I'm looking at the FAQs at https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...master/FAQs.md

I looked on github and I can't find any other release comments?

Shari
Old 09-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #67
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Where are you seeing that? I'm looking at the FAQs at https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...master/FAQs.md

I looked on github and I can't find any other release comments?
It's right on the release page, same page where you download the tools: https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...ses/tag/v6.6.3

"The key needed to decrypt the values in the .kinf2018 file has changed over the .kinf2011 file. This version, although it can now find the .kinf2018 file on PC, cannot decode it after all."
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
This. And it is fidgety...IMNSHO.

so, all this talk got me to try again. And it worked. Well, in the first two books I tried and then it didn’t.

Oh...so I learn that I need an older version of the kindle pc app. So I uninstall, download that one, and set it to not automatically update.

And I liberate 3 more books that I am soon to read.

And....I argue a bit with someone here who disputes my “fidgety” description.

Well...@$&($)$...if that kindle app didn’t self update just yesterday....despite my having unchecked the auto update setting.

So BACK I go and uninstall the new and reinstall the old and reset it to not auto update. And while I have that old version installed, I downloaded all 328 books from my kindle library. One at a time as there was no “download all”.

So at least Imhave them downloaded. Ran the metadata download for all of them last night. Will export them all to ePub tonight. And try not to wait so long in the future to do this to any further purchases.

Like I said...fidgety.
I've had Kindle for PC 1.17(1.16?) installed on my old laptop, my desktop and my Surface and none of them has ever updated. I dunno. I must be one of the luckiest men on Earth.

Quote:
And it MIGHT not be so easy tomorrow.
That is true. Amazon could shut down the old Kindle for PC at any time. They could prevent users from downloading books altogether. Or things could continue as they have. The future is unknowable.

In the mean time, I've been able to use the store I prefer with the devices I prefer, for years. No fidgeting for me
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #69
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am still using 1.17 too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #70
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am still using 1.17 too.
Apache
I use 1.16. The other day I went to provide a link for some one IT IS No Longer there! The whole site was GONE
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I use 1.16. The other day I went to provide a link for some one IT IS No Longer there! The whole site was GONE
I use FileHippo to download old copies of software. Here's a link to FileHippo's Kindle for PC page.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #72
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I use FileHippo to download old copies of software. Here's a link to FileHippo's Kindle for PC page.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #73
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I keep multiple backup copies. 4 Hard Drives on one PC, one copy on each on 4 other PCs, one copy on my Surface Pro, plus a flash drive and the cloud.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #74
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
It's right on the release page, same page where you download the tools: https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...ses/tag/v6.6.3

"The key needed to decrypt the values in the .kinf2018 file has changed over the .kinf2011 file. This version, although it can now find the .kinf2018 file on PC, cannot decode it after all."
Ah...ok. I thought I had heard that it couldn't deal with the latest version of KFX, but I couldn't find it. I was looking at the readme on this page:
https://github.com/apprenticeharper/DeDRM_tools
I didn't drill down far enough, I guess.

Shari
Old 09-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #75
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've had Kindle for PC 1.17(1.16?) installed on my old laptop, my desktop and my Surface and none of them has ever updated. I dunno. I must be one of the luckiest men on Earth.

That is true. Amazon could shut down the old Kindle for PC at any time. They could prevent users from downloading books altogether. Or things could continue as they have. The future is unknowable.

In the mean time, I've been able to use the store I prefer with the devices I prefer, for years. No fidgeting for me
I know...funny right. Swear to god....after arguing with you...and then following your advice....the d@mn app auto updated.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote