Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #61
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
And wireless file transfer (BT 4.1 supports 24 Mbps).
The original Kobo supported BlueTooth. I think it was officially supported for Blackberry devices but it did work from other systems as well.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #62
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I went with the reversible. My biggest problem with micro-USB is charging my UE Roll speakers that have the charging port in a weird place with a big rubber hump in front of it. I'm worried the magnet cords would just pop off. Great speaker, but charging it can be a challenge, especially in a darkened room.
In that case, yeah, the magnets wouldn't work, either straight or 90°. Might not even get the flap closed with the dongle sticking out just a little bit after charging. I had a different scenario in my head when you described the port was in a weird place.

Also, for ereaders you would want a cable that can transfer data occasionally. From what I seen the majority of magnetic connectors is charge only.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #63
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Another thing about USB-C apart from its obvious future orientation (comparison to Micro USB is moot since USB-C is set to replace all A and B types eventually, including the parts that go in the computer) and support for faster charging is that it can be made to support audio, either with an inexpensive adapter to 3.5 audio jack or directly with headphones that have a USB-C connection. As they are becoming more frequent (and maybe Apple will adopt them eventually), that is another great way to listen to audio content on the devices you have if you are not into wireless headphones...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #64
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Is it really down to the connector? I thought charging time was mostly limited by not wanting to overheat the battery (and thus shorten its life). I wonder if new batteries are less vulnerable that way?
The battery charge circuit protects the battery. You can plug the cable into a 2A 'charge' port without worry. The circuit will only draw what the battery can take at the time. The OFFICIAL USBa port on the PC end is limited to 500mA (1/2A), period. Then it shuts off.
What got attached evolved (and got way more complex and folk not wanting to use external power modules to use the device) and became power hungry. USBc is the answer to higher 5V current

FWIW There was a older system used mostly by the Retail POS trade that had a extra section above the USB port (green was 5V and 12V for displays and CC terminals. red was 24V for printers ). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PoweredUSB
A few high end user systems offered this for external HD and similar.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Correction: If you bought an eReader with a USB-C connector that would be the only thing you own that would have one... for now.

USB-C is the future. Readers tend to last a lot longer than other tech, as you must know with your herd of Sony readers. So if you bought a new reader with USB-C, eventually it wouldn't be your only device with one.

I don't know why I reply to these. In the end, I really don't care if it has USB-C or not. It would be convenient for me, but it's not really an issue. I think my responses have more to do with being bored at work and not really wanting to do my job
The problem with USB-C is that there are some cables out there what will damage your devices. SO it's not all that easy to find inexpensive reliable cables. As for microUSB, I've not had a problem even when the cable was not working properly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Correction to correction?— You may not know me all that well — I'm getting old and set in my ways... so I might not be buying many additional devices (besides old eReaders). I've already decided that, when Sprint stops supporting my 2013 Blackberry Q10, I'll probably get a flip phone (since I don't want Android or iOS). I usually buy used or inexpensive devices and I haven't seen many (any?) cheap tablets or cell phones that use USB-C. I think the first USB-C (HTC One) came out in December, 2014, so the technology is almost five years old and still not taking over the world. I think the Blackberry Storm was the first microUSB phone and it's almost exactly ten years old... so isn't it time for something more advanced than the USB-C? — (if these run on five year cycles).
You may find it very difficult to find a decent flip phone. I had a look at Sprint in June for flip phones and there was a very poor selection. I don't see the selection getting any better. Also, it may cost more to get service without data.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #67
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Also, it may cost more to get service without data.
Ultra cheap pay as you go are effectively no data if you set up your phone to not use the carrier and only use wifi for data (e.g., at home or work). I have something from AT&T that's $25 every 2 months, and unused minutes roll over/accumulate. Good if you're not a yakker or need a phone just for emergencies.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #68
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Ultra cheap pay as you go are effectively no data if you set up your phone to not use the carrier and only use wifi for data (e.g., at home or work). I have something from AT&T that's $25 every 2 months, and unused minutes roll over/accumulate. Good if you're not a yakker or need a phone just for emergencies.
howardforums.com is a good place to find out about cheap plans. Be warned there are a fair number of idiots and uninformed people on that forum but there are also some knowledgeable people who between them, have tried just about every prepaid, MVNO cheap plan out there.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #69
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The problem with USB-C is that there are some cables out there what will damage your devices. SO it's not all that easy to find inexpensive reliable cables. As for microUSB, I've not had a problem even when the cable was not working properly.
I think you already made this exact same point a few pages ago. USB-C will detonate all devices. Got it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #70
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
You may find it very difficult to find a decent flip phone. I had a look at Sprint in June for flip phones and there was a very poor selection. I don't see the selection getting any better. Also, it may cost more to get service without data.
Yeah, I know. I don't know what's going to eventually happen when T-Mobile and Sprint complete their "merger" (T-Mobile's take over). But if Sprint devices are still supported after that happens I can just use an old flip phone I already own. I don't buy Sprint service directly from Sprint, I use Twigby, which sells unlimited talk and text for $13 (and includes Verizon voice roaming). I currently pay an extra $6 to get a GB of data, but hardly ever use it.

If you want Sprint service without roaming, you can go to Tello and get unlimited talk and text for $8 — add a GB of data for $2 more.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-30-2019 at 05:37 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:24 AM   #71
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Wasn't this thread up to like 84 replies? Where did they go?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #72
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Wasn't this thread up to like 84 replies? Where did they go?
Are you thinking of the thread in the Kobo forum? It is at 92 replies.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #73
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I see that Facebook plans to name their cryptocurrency "libra."

Will that be a problem for Kobo? Or is "Libra" just a code name?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #74
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I see that Facebook plans to name their cryptocurrency "libra."

Will that be a problem for Kobo? Or is "Libra" just a code name?
Two totally different products, shouldn't be a problem. Though I have seen insane stuff. Apparently the Atlanta Braves threatened a lawsuit over Disney's use of Brave for their movie. Obviously it didn't go anywhere, but still some corporations are crazy.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #75
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Two totally different products, shouldn't be a problem. Though I have seen insane stuff. Apparently the Atlanta Braves threatened a lawsuit over Disney's use of Brave for their movie. Obviously it didn't go anywhere, but still some corporations are crazy.
Oh, it's not only corporations,
Quote:
Ohio State University wants to trademark the word 'The'
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/us/th...rnd/index.html
So, they not only want to force everyone to precede Ohio State University with The, they want to own a standalone the in certain contexts.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote