Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #61
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Heya...I cannot access that link cassidym...

Assuming its 'cause I am new to MR - can't access stuff like MR albums and my posts with URLs and pics still require Moderator Approval.

MODS: I have no issue with this reasonable policy, but exactly how long is a new poster's probationary period around here?
I think it's a week. When did you join exactly?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #62
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ orlok: June 2, so 10 days now... No biggie, as I plan to stick around MR for a good, long time.

muahahahahahahahaha
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #63
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Heya...I cannot access that link cassidym...
That's alright. It's an obvious fake. They're standing in one of those big coffee shop / book stores but this bogus Reacher isn't even drinking coffee. Can't fool me!
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #64
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
That's alright. It's an obvious fake. They're standing in one of those big coffee shop / book stores but this bogus Reacher isn't even drinking coffee. Can't fool me!
Hey, I resemble that remark!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Sanford's books are available on both the Sony and Kobo sites
Sanford & Son

His name is John Sandford. I have his first Prey book on reserve at the library. I'm #5 in line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #66
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
You're right.

And get ready for a good read. All his books are page turners.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #67
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
I could tell because he's smiling. I get the feeling that Reacher never really smiles. Perhaps his eyes crinkle a bit, but his jaw never moves.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #68
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ true. I think all that coffee is playing havoc with his internals
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #69
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Sanford's books are available on both the Sony and Kobo sites
I think those nasty geographical restrictions have got me again!

As I have a Kobo the first place I looked was Kobobooks.com. I'm in Australia and it seems I can buy the first 5 in GERMAN but not English!! Bizarre! At least I think that's what they are as I don't read enough German to even know for sure -

Amazon (who also know where I live) will only sell me paperbacks.

I've found them on Sony but I need to be in the US or Canada.

Finally found a few at the Singapore Library who fortunately don't care where I live. I hope after all that nonsense that my husband actually enjoys them.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #70
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I've read all the Reachers and enjoyed them! My husband (note that I am female) discovered them first, but I like them just as much. Also finished all the Harry Bosches to date (Michael Connelly). Am currently reading Up Country by Nelson DeMille, which reminds me a bit of Lee Child's books.

Perhaps Nelson DeMille's John Corey books would qualify in this category?

Thanks for the interesting and fun thread, guys. And Cassidy, love the pic!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:03 AM   #71
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I
John Corey is too much of a wise ass. Reacher is much more subdued. But I guess that as page-turning reading goes, he's perfect. Great character though and I wish De Mille would come out with a few more with him in it.

Stitchawl
Old 06-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #72
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

One advice: if you can, try to ear (audiobook) one of Jack Reacher’s books instead of reading it… it puts the all experience into a next level! (the guy who normally reads them is truly amazing).

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #73
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I've read all the Reachers and enjoyed them! My husband (note that I am female) discovered them first, but I like them just as much. Also finished all the Harry Bosches to date (Michael Connelly). Am currently reading Up Country by Nelson DeMille, which reminds me a bit of Lee Child's books.

Thanks for the recommendation. May give him a go when I clear the current tbr list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hello

One advice: if you can, try to ear (audiobook) one of Jack Reacher’s books instead of reading it… it puts the all experience into a next level! (the guy who normally reads them is truly amazing).

Best regards,
That's how I first got into Reacher - I borrowed Echo's Burning on audio from our library. Since then it's been the paper version (I have them all in hardback, which I tend to do with favourite authors), so I can't comment on the rest of the audio titles.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #74
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Very worth a look..........

Just realised - if Harry Bosch (excellent, on my rereads collection always) qualifies, then I cannot help myself - James Lee Burke !
The Robicheaux series - but really, anything by him. A truly great writer, IMHO, who happens to have chosen the genre to write wonderful stuff.
Not afraid to tackle "difficult" topics, plenty of action, superb characters, construction, storytelling, and, well, just fine writing.
And there's lots of them to read.

I know I'm a Brit, and have praised him before (I was so excited when I discovered him !) but, for example, "Tin Roof Blowdown" set in the events of Katrina, I found a pretty savage indictment of what happened - as well as being a good "detective" story.

Give him a try.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #75
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Just realised - if Harry Bosch (excellent, on my rereads collection always) qualifies, then I cannot help myself - James Lee Burke !
The Robicheaux series - but really, anything by him. A truly great writer,
Wow! You really hit the jackpot there! Robicheaux is almost as lean and mean as Reacher, but with a wife and adopted daughter. Great series! Burks story right after the hurricane damage to New Orleans, although not the greatest Robicheaux book, was certainly the most vivid depiction of the devastation to that area I've read! Simply brilliant!

Stitchawl