Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
Marvinator
Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Nook
Nook Tablet HD Not Showing All Books Loaded

I have the new Nook Tablet HD (the $49.95 one that just came out recently)

I'm having trouble side loading files. I use Calibre. Now here is what I see.

The Nook has downloaded all my B&N content (easily!) and they are all visible in the library. I used Nook to side load a bunch of books into the BOOKS folder but they don't show up in the Library.

The Nook won't show my side loaded books AND Calibre won't show me the books in the Library.

Can someone direct me to the problem?

Last edited by Marvinator; 10-08-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Marvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
Forgive the dumb questions but when you side load the books through Calibre, does a green check show up to indicate the book has been loaded?

What folder do you have Calibre set to look for on the tablet when you have the tablet connected?

When you are looking in the Library in the Nook app on the tablet are you looking in 'My Files' for the side loaded books?

Do you have a SD card?

I have the same tablet and have books loaded onto the SD card in the Nook folder without creating a Books folder either within the Nook folder or as a separate folder not in the Nook folder.

The side loaded books show up in the Nook app on the tablet and are shown by Calibre as being on the Nook when I plug in the tablet to my desk top computer after the tablet is turned on and I set it to transfer files by the USB cord.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #3
Marvinator
Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Marvinator has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Not Dumb questions at all.
Calibre shows a green check on books loaded to the nook. It shows those books in the Calibre library and shows them when I use calibre to view the library on the device itself. When I go to the Nook, I will only see the books downloaded through B&N.

Calibre is set to save books to the "BOOKS" folder.

In the Nook, when I click "My Files" the page is blank and even says that there is nothing there.

No SD Card

I have tried putting books into the NOOK folder on the device, but they still don't show up on the Nook Library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas03 View Post
The side loaded books show up in the Nook app on the tablet and are shown by Calibre as being on the Nook when I plug in the tablet to my desk top computer after the tablet is turned on and I set it to transfer files by the USB cord.
This is what I expect. I had Nook Color which operated that way.

Last edited by Marvinator; 10-08-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Where is your BOOKS folder? Is it inside the NOOK folder or outside of it?

I have both the older 8 GB and newer 16 GB versions of the tablet. Just like on the 16 GB version I have a SD card so my set up may not work for you. Another problem is I don't remember which folders I set up and which ones were already there.

On the 8 GB one, I have a folder labeled Books that is not inside the NOOK folder, but that is not where my side loaded books are stored. They are in the NOOK folder, originally in a folder labeled My Files. At some point I must have discovered that books would show up if I just put them in the NOOK folder without a sub folder and redirected Calibre to that folder.

Since I don't remember the set-up before the SD card there are a couple of things you might try.

If your BOOKS folder is inside the NOOK folder try things with it outside the NOOK folder if that is possible. It may not be without a SD card.

Try renaming the BOOKS folder My Files or MY FILES and see if that helps them show up.

There must have been a reason why I put that My Files folder in there originally. I'm thinking I must have seen it somewhere.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
Marvinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas03 View Post
Where is your BOOKS folder? Is it inside the NOOK folder or outside of it?

I have both the older 8 GB and newer 16 GB versions of the tablet. Just like on the 16 GB version I have a SD card so my set up may not work for you. Another problem is I don't remember which folders I set up and which ones were already there.

On the 8 GB one, I have a folder labeled Books that is not inside the NOOK folder, but that is not where my side loaded books are stored. They are in the NOOK folder, originally in a folder labeled My Files. At some point I must have discovered that books would show up if I just put them in the NOOK folder without a sub folder and redirected Calibre to that folder.

Since I don't remember the set-up before the SD card there are a couple of things you might try.

If your BOOKS folder is inside the NOOK folder try things with it outside the NOOK folder if that is possible. It may not be without a SD card.

Try renaming the BOOKS folder My Files or MY FILES and see if that helps them show up.

There must have been a reason why I put that My Files folder in there originally. I'm thinking I must have seen it somewhere.
More interesting things.
I renamed the BOOKS folder to My Files. (Rebooted the Nook, just to be sure.) There is no change. Calibre still shows what books it has side loaded, but won't show the Nook's books. AND the Nook still does not show these side loaded books.

Next step, move the My Files folder to the NOOK Folder on the Nook. The My Files folder will copy, but as soon as it starts to copy one of the books over, I get an odd error. "Waiting: BNTV460 is busy" (See attached.) It just won't copy over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nook1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	174081  
Old 10-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #6
Marvinator

Ok. Things are finally working at least somewhat correctly.

I'll post here what the problem was, in case someone else comes up with the same problems.

I started with Windows. It seemed that some updates were not installing. As I am a tech with many MANY years experience, I worked most of the day to get these installed.
Once they were installed, I then went back to the notes from tas03 above.
I felt that now that things were updated, perhaps moving the files to the NOOK\MyFiles folder might work and it did.

So, the answer is first make sure ALL Windows updates are installed and installed properly. (Even if it takes all day!)

Thanks again for your detailed help!!
Old 10-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
tas03
Zealot

You're welcome.

One more thing with side loaded books and the Nook app on the tablet. For some reason the Nook app does not like 'unusual' punctuation marks. So, if your book title has quotations marks, question marks, apostrophes, colons, semi-colons, dashes, parentheses, commas, the _ symbol [on the same key with the dash (-)], ampersands, and the number sign (#), your side loaded book may not appear in library.

For example if the title of your book is Pioneers: The Historic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West, unless you change the title of the book in the My Files folder to Pioneers The Historic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West, the book may not show up in the Nook app. The book is on the tablet, and Calibre says it is on the tablet, but the Nook app does not see it.

The new 16 GB tablet is not as bad as the older one, but it still happens. I go through author's names too and remove 'oddities' like change O'Brien to O Brien.

Depending on what kinds of books you have, this could also keep your books from seeming to show up.