Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Kobo? Likebook? Boox? Something Else?

I have a thing for large(r) form factors. Right around 10" is perfect for my needs. I've been getting by with a Kobo Aura One for a few years. I had a Kobo Forma for a few days but had to RMA it for a manufacturing defect and now going the refund route because of how painful the process has been.

Another Forma (32GB model) would be good if there's a vendor in the US I can go through for support without having to deal with Kobo directly. I like the idea of the Boox Note series and Likebook Mimas/Alita but I'm never going to use the note-taking capabilities which makes them feel like a wasteful premium. Boox Note Lite looks like it would be perfect except its gone unsupported already (no Android 9 update).

Where should I go from here? Anything smaller than Aura One's 7.8" display isn't considered. I don't need an SD card slot if the on-board storage is sufficient (16GB minimum, preferably 32GB or more). Don't suggest tablets; I want e-Ink, not LCD/LED.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Check out the Onyx Boox Nova. Not the Pro version, as you said you don't need note-taking capabilities. The basic Nova, now called the Nova Plus. E-Ink, 300 dpi, 7.8 inch display, 32 gb internal storage, no SD card slot, adjustable warm/cold front light, Android 6.0. A representative from Onyx has said in one of these threads that several Onyx devices will get an upgrade to 9.0 eventually. The Nova could be one of them. Nothing official yet, though, so take that with a few grains of salt!

For more info, check here.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Check out the Onyx Boox Nova. Not the Pro version, as you said you don't need note-taking capabilities. The basic Nova, now called the Nova Plus. E-Ink, 300 dpi, 7.8 inch display, 32 gb internal storage, no SD card slot, adjustable warm/cold front light, Android 6.0. A representative from Onyx has said in one of these threads that several Onyx devices will get an upgrade to 9.0 eventually. The Nova could be one of them. Nothing official yet, though, so take that with a few grains of salt!
Except that Nova is a hardware sidegrade to the Aura One I currently have, and essentialy a downgrade in software support. If it's not at least matching the Forma's display size then it's not worth the money to me.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote