Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #33061
poohbear_nc
Be Afraid! Very Afraid!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I don't care what those car commercials say, if you want real "driving excitement" you need to be in a minivan approaching a state highway at rush hour ... and have a complete brake failure. All four wheels. No warning.

Now, that's driving "excitement!"

(No one died. This is actually the second time in my life that I've experienced a complete brake failure. Although, it's harder to achieve with a modern, dual-circuit braking system.)

So, Anybody up for a road trip?!

Emergency brake? Or turn off the engine?

Or are you writing from the beyond?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #33062
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

First step was drastic downshifting. I did use the emergency brake to get back home (less than a mile). Turning off the engine would have locked the steering column, among other things.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:27 PM   #33063
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

Don't even consider turning off the engine! If you do that you not only don't have any residual power brakes you might have left, but you don't have power steering either.

If you're really in trouble an the hand brake doesn't do it you might consider jamming into park to lock up the transmission, but be prepared for a huge bill for fixing the transmission.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:11 PM   #33064
poohbear_nc
Be Afraid! Very Afraid!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Oh yeah ... I forgot about losing the power steering and brakes ...

Years ago I was driving a rental car through Yosemite and Grand Tetons ... and the engine kept cutting out due to the altitude ... I remember frantically restarting it while pumping the brakes ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #33065
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim, PRS350/650, PB Touch Lux 623, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Don't even consider turning off the engine! If you do that you not only don't have any residual power brakes you might have left, but you don't have power steering either.

If you're really in trouble an the hand brake doesn't do it you might consider jamming into park to lock up the transmission, but be prepared for a huge bill for fixing the transmission.
I bought a used car from a friend's husband that turned out to have an electrical problem. Driving down the highway at whatever the speed limits were at the time, and all of a sudden, the engine would just shut off.

And yes...I quickly remembered what it was like to drive without power steering or brakes!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #33066
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Chicken flavored crackers and hot dog flavored potato chips. Why? Any meat-flavored, non-meat, crispy snack puzzles me greatly, to be perfectly honest.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #33067
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 10th Gen Paperwhite, Oasis, Voyage, original Paperwhite, Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Chicken flavored crackers and hot dog flavored potato chips. Why? Any meat-flavored, non-meat, crispy snack puzzles me greatly, to be perfectly honest.
This!
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM   #33068
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
This!
Agreed!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM   #33069
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Agreed!
I hate to admit it (I'm so uncool), but I don't like ANY flavored chips or crackers or whatever. Nacho-flavored potato chips, or sour-cream-and-onion, BarBQ (shudder), and the like. I'm boring. I like plain-old potato chips, plain old corn chips, etc. I figure if I want them to pair with something else, like dip or salsa--I'll make that or buy it.

Not to mention, man, you ever been AROUND people who've eaten that stuff? Not enough Altoids in the world....(if this is anyone here, my apologies, but...oish...)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #33070
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
How about Arby's new mock carrots made out of turkey? They're taking this to a new level. (I like the touch of the parsley to mock the carrot tops.)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/busin...rnd/index.html
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #33071
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm pretty plain when it comes to chips/snacks myself. But at least I understand the adding of flavorings to them--even if I don't enjoy most of them myself. And I am most definitely a fan of meat. Don't misunderstand THAT! I just reject the notion of meat as a flavor (certainly in non-meat environments).

How would one even go about making hot-dog flavored potato chips? Is there actually tiny bits of dehydrated hotdog in there? Or do they dip the uncooked potato slices in hotdog water? Ick either way! And if you were dead certain that the world just had to have a meat-flavored potato chip, why hotdog?!?! Why not steak?
Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM   #33072
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2
Dorito breath! I do like Lays dill pickle chips. Most of the flavors used in chips are done with artificial flavors that leave a nasty after-taste.

Nothing beats Fritos when you're eating a sandwich.

Lays BBQ chips have 18-20 different ingredients. Fritos have 3, corn, corn oil, and salt.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM   #33073
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
How about Arby's new mock carrots made out of turkey? They're taking this to a new level. (I like the touch of the parsley to mock the carrot tops.)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/busin...rnd/index.html
I saw those. That's just weird! To me, it almost seems like it's a spiteful tit-for-tat move to match vegetarian products that look like meat.

It IS in keeping with Arby's "We Have the Meat!" slogan, though.
It just seems to me to be nothing but an inside joke. Vegetarian "meat" at least offers health benefits (to even non-vegetarians). The meatification of vegetables, on the other hand, seems to offer nothing but novelty.

Last edited by DiapDealer; Yesterday at 09:26 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM   #33074
tempest@de
Addict
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
another one here that doesn't care for flavored snacks, give me the boring stuff.

and why do the manufacturers do similar packages for different products? Are there so many flavors that you need to repeat the color of the package for 2 products?

The last time I went to the store I grabbed a package of lays, you know the ones from the yellow package that has been sold for years and is the same all around the world, well yesterday I opened it and it turns out they weren't the classic chips, they were cheese and onion flavored.

I know I'm to blame for not paying attention, but I was in a hurry and it was yellow, next time I'm definitely paying more attention.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #33075
tempest@de
Addict
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
About the artificial flavors, some time ago I bought some small breads (the ones that are baked in the bakery section of the supermarket) and after I went to look at the list of ingredients and they had almost a dozen ingredients, and it wasn’t even a special bread, but the one ingredient that left me flabbergasted was smoke flavor, I didn’t know that even existed.

That sure comes in handy for those that advertise bread baked in a wood oven, like I believe that a modern supermarket has a wood oven.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness