Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
K8HW
Connoisseur
K8HW began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A03s, Galaxy Tab A, Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen), Nexus 7
Windows V3.0.0 Restart not working

I have just discovered that Calibre won't do a restart. When installing a plugin requiring a restart Calibre terminates but doesn't restart. Same behavior if I click on the restart button. I still am very pleased with Calibre. I don't know how any ebook reader could get along without it! I am using Windows 10 and Calibre 3.0 [64 bit]. Thanks again for all the hard work Kovid.

For some reason, unknown to me, the restart is now working. Must be gremlins!

Last edited by K8HW; 06-18-2017 at 11:08 AM.
K8HW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
bookmonster
bookmonster doesn't litterbookmonster doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8HW View Post
I have just discovered that Calibre won't do a restart. When installing a plugin requiring a restart Calibre terminates but doesn't restart. Same behavior if I click on the restart button. I am using Windows 10 and Calibre 3.0 [64 bit].
Windows 10 64 bit and Calibre 3.0 portable - having the same issue. I tried removing the shortcut from the toolbar, shutting down & adding it back - no luck.

What's really strange is, if I start Calibre in debug mode, the restart button works every time (slow, but it works). If I then terminate and start in normal mode, it fails every time. Please let me know if there is any information I can provide to help track down the issue.

Thank you
bookmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2017, 12:59 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@bookmonster: Restarting calibre works on my win10 machine. UNfortunately, if you cannot reproduce it in debug mode, it's kind of hard to know what's going on.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:03 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmonster View Post
What's really strange is, if I start Calibre in debug mode, the restart button works every time (slow, but it works). If I then terminate and start in normal mode, it fails every time. Please let me know if there is any information I can provide to help track down the issue.
Long shot - start calibre in 'safe mode' (calibre --ignore-plugins), and then do the restart, see ==>> calibre command

If it works make sure your optional plugins are up to date, if they are then you'll have to work out which PI is causing the problem - most PIs can be uninstalled and reinstalled without losing associated settings.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-21-2017 at 04:07 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:15 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
BR, I've got to check this method. Calibre does not restart at my Win10. I've got to check at the laptop I've got with Win7, but portable installation over Win7 restart.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2017, 04:29 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
BR, I've got to check this method. Calibre does not restart at my Win10. I've got to check at the laptop I've got with Win7, but portable installation over Win7 restart.
@TdeM - just did a restart of calibre 3 32bit with no problems on Win 10 64bit Pro version 1607 (Anniversary Update). I don't have calibre 3 64 bit installed.

Which edition of Windows 10 are you at?

BR
Old 06-21-2017, 05:00 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@TdeM - just did a restart of calibre 3 32bit with no problems on Win 10 64bit Pro version 1607 (Anniversary Update). I don't have calibre 3 64 bit installed.

Which edition of Windows 10 are you at?

BR
No idea, sorry. And no, I don't have automatic updates allowed so it's not an up-to-date release. Anyway, I have calibre 3 64 bit. I'll check on Friday (I cannot get a W10 computer till then).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's not restarting calibre is the issue; it's if you add the restart option to the toolbar or menu and then use it to restart, then the problem happens.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #9
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
I have no issues with restart, using Win10 64bit, Calibre 3.0. I tried it with restart in the menubar (where I usually have it) and then changed it to main toolbar, no problem either way.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
K8HW
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It's not restarting calibre is the issue; it's if you add the restart option to the toolbar or menu and then use it to restart, then the problem happens.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
This problem showed up when I updated a plugin and Calibre asked if I wanted to do a restart. Although I do have a restart button on the toolbar (for a very long time), I didn't click on it to do a restart until after I restarted Calibre and tried clicking on the restart button. Whatever is happening, it is intermittent as I am not currently having any problems.

Personally I think it is Windows 10 thing. It appears to me that Windows 10 is the same junk with a different face and more annoying problems such as the search bar stops working and occasionally the mouse cursor disappears. Before I get flamed, this is a brand new computer!

~Dave
Old 06-21-2017, 07:32 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
I have no issues with restart, using Win10 64bit, Calibre 3.0. I tried it with restart in the menubar (where I usually have it) and then changed it to main toolbar, no problem either way.
Which Version of Windows 10, it's in WinKey+S->System->About

The first released version was 1511, then came 1607 (Anniversary Update), then came 1703 (Creator's Update).

FWIW I just noticed that if you start calibre with no plugins (via the --ignore-plugins option) and then do a restart it doesn't restart with no plugins. Would it be useful to have a way to do a restart with no plugins?

BR
Old 06-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #12
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Which Version of Windows 10, it's in WinKey+S->System->About

The first released version was 1511, then came 1607 (Anniversary Update), then came 1703 (Creator's Update).

FWIW I just noticed that if you start calibre with no plugins (via the --ignore-plugins option) and then do a restart it doesn't restart with no plugins. Would it be useful to have a way to do a restart with no plugins?

BR
I have 1607
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Personally I think it is Windows 10 thing.
That's my intuition too - what version of Windows 10 is installed on your new laptop.
Quote:
Before I get flamed, this is a brand new computer!
The source of some of your problems could well be the bloat that most manufacturers load onto the kit they sell - its a source of revenue for them.

MS provides the means to get rid of all, but its best done as soon as you unpack the new computer, because it wipes everything that's not standard Windows. Search for "remove bloatware from windows 10"

BR
Old 06-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
I have 1607
Me too
Old 06-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #15
K8HW
Connoisseur

Quote:
That's my intuition too - what version of Windows 10 is installed on your new laptop.

The source of some of your problems could well be the bloat that most manufacturers load onto the kit they sell - its a source of revenue for them.

MS provides the means to get rid of all, but its best done as soon as you unpack the new computer, because it wipes everything that's not standard Windows. Search for "remove bloatware from windows 10"

BR
I am running Windows 10 Home Version 1703. This PC is a Lenovo All-in-one desktop.