Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
rewyn
Miskatonic U. Class of 97
rewyn began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle, Nook,
Exclamation :help:How do I locate where in the line this is?

Okay I'm currently working on a 1200+ page ePub, I just ran it through EPUB checker, it came up with 20+ errors. Yesterday I whittled that down to 2. Those 2 errors are in the same line somewhere but, unfortunately the line is VERY long, it's an entry from the index section.

Now my question is, what/where does the col #value stand for? How do I search via that value so I can know exactly where the problem lies in the long string? Is that a character count? I have tried on fixing it manually, but don't see any errors in the code.

(example: line 71, col 4205)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Path error.png
Views:	181
Size:	637.2 KB
ID:	156241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Error messages.png
Views:	170
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	156242  
rewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
col value is the column WHEN the error becomes obvious to the checker.
The actual error can be somewhere before

eg
You open a <div, but it never closes. When you hit </body, all tags inside the body must have been closed: <bzzz> Error, but it does not know where it belonged

Kovid is going to add Tag Matching, but that only helps so far

Other less obvious
Open a <h3, close a </p
While you can use a <div pair for a paragraph ... using <p prevents the missing </div problem because you can not start another <p until the previous closes
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
rewyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
col value is the column WHEN the error becomes obvious to the checker.
The actual error can be somewhere before
But shouldn't the col marker be contained within the line? and if so is there a way in Sigil to locate the col marker?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewyn View Post
But shouldn't the col marker be contained within the line? and if so is there a way in Sigil to locate the col marker?
The CURSOR location is on the status line. You just keep moving it until you get there.

The only time the error message location is WITHIN the line is when the error is detected before the close.

BTW isnt there a better way to do all those anchors.
Break them up into groups with no visual space between the groups.
Code:
<div class="wholegroup">
<div class="asmallgroup">stuff</div>
</div>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
rewyn

Thank for your help, if you notice there were two hrefs that had improper syntax, somehow (eg <a href="./Text/..., instead of <a href="../Text/) one period and not two. Arrgh!
Advert
Old 04-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Create a Report using Sigil's tools and look under links It will tell you exactly which anchor's target is missing which is what is generating your error message.

Also generating one long long line of links is not generally a good idea. You can use Search and replace to split it up sensibly as theducks memtioned.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:54 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewyn View Post
Now my question is, what/where does the col #value stand for? How do I search via that value so I can know exactly where the problem lies in the long string? Is that a character count? I have tried on fixing it manually, but don't see any errors in the code.
As theducks mentioned, it may be better to have more reasonable line lengths.

In the future, you could also do something like this:

Code:
<p>Alexandria, <a href="">123</a>, <a href="">124</a>, <a href="">125</a>, <a href="">126</a>, <a href="brokenlink">127</a>, <a href="">128</a></p>
Save a temporary EPUB, and then run this Search/Replace in Regex Mode:

Search: ,\s
Replace: ,\r\n

After:

Code:
<p>Alexandria,
 <a href="">123</a>,
 <a href="">124</a>,
 <a href="">125</a>,
 <a href="">126</a>,
 <a href="brokenlink">127</a>,
 <a href="">128</a></p>
Then next time you run epubcheck, you get a more helpful line number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Create a Report using Sigil's tools and look under links It will tell you exactly which anchor's target is missing which is what is generating your error message.

Tools > Reports > Links, then sort by the "Target Exists?" column. If it says "no" then you can go take a closer look.

As an example, "page800" accidentally "page80":

Click image for larger version

Name:	SigilLinksReport-TargetExists.png
Views:	157
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	156244
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I just wanted to mention -- yes, rewyn, the "Column Number" IS the character count. (I didn't see any acknowledgement of that fact in the thread, forgive me if I missed that)

If you look down on the status bar of the Sigil window, it tells you what LINE and what COLUMN your cursor is currently located.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Shameless plug: if you install my epubcheck Sigil plugin, clicking an error message in the validation pane will take you to the character position/column number reported by epubcheck.

Note that epubcheck will often report the position of the closing tag.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Shameless plug: if you install my epubcheck Sigil plugin,

//snip!//
Shameless, perhaps. Well-deserved: definitely!
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote