Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 02:24 AM   #1
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Firmware update 4.3.8842

Kobo has released another firmware update for Mark 3, Mark 4, Mark 5 and Mark 6 devices.

Mark 6:

Mark 6 4.3.8842

Mark 5:

Mark 5 4.3.8842

Mark 4:

Mark 4 4.3.8842

Mark 3:

Mark 3 4.3.8842

The major change seems to be the home screen (for higher res devices), series sort in Library view, brightness level now changes by 1%, etc.

The usual very uninformative Kobo release notes: Your ereader software has been upgraded. DUH!!

Have fun!

Last edited by DNSB; 02-22-2017 at 03:36 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:29 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Next silly question is how to edit the thread name to add the 2 back to it? Corrected a typo and hit enter too soon. Expletive deleted!
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 02:41 AM   #3
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The major change seems to be the home screen (new home screen),...
Can you please post some pictures.

Last edited by oren64; 02-22-2017 at 03:03 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:03 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Series sort in Library view, brightness level now changes by 1%, etc.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:13 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Can you please post some pictures.
Here's a couple of screen caps from my KA1. The first is from immediately after the update when I had opened one book, after that I opened the maximum of 4 books that show on the home screen. My Books seems to sit in place but the Recommended will change to other blobs. Not sure if this version has the issue but the "A quick refresher" popup seems to show up on almost every power cycle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	5427
Size:	892.8 KB
ID:	155206   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	4857
Size:	932.8 KB
ID:	155207   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	4799
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	155208  

Last edited by DNSB; 02-22-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 04:47 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I like that new home screen. But I'll keep my wifi off until the patches already, I only use the Advanced Fonts but I'd like to keep it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:50 AM   #7
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I tried twice to sideloud the FW on my Kobo Glo but no luck, it got stuck on moving squares and green LED flash.
I'll wait until davidfor will post more information.

Last edited by oren64; 02-22-2017 at 05:27 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:38 AM   #8
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
My Aura One installed the new firmware while syncing this morning. However, I didn't get the new home screen, and I've also lost the ability to sync via Wi-Fi. It stays stuck on "Checking for updates" - for well over half an hour this morning, until it actually ran out of battery. I've rolled back to 4.2.8432 for now - I'll try the update again when I get back from work this evening.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Last edited by lensmann; 02-22-2017 at 05:39 AM. Reason: (clarification)
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:53 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I tried twice to sideloud the FW on my Kobo Glo but no luck, it got stuck on moving squares and green LED flash.
Well, I'm flattered, but you can trust DNSB on this as much as me.

This isn't being sent to my devices yet, but I did just manually install it on my Glo. It has installed OK, but I think the "Updating" screen took longer than usual. I'm not sure how long, as I disconnected the device and forgot about it for a bit. But, I wasn't installing this over the released firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because I am tired of the argument of which version of the hack:

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true
Old 02-22-2017, 06:11 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
My Aura One installed the new firmware while syncing this morning. However, I didn't get the new home screen,
Kobo might not be enabling the new home screen on all devices or everyone.
Quote:
and I've also lost the ability to sync via Wi-Fi. It stays stuck on "Checking for updates" - for well over half an hour this morning, until it actually ran out of battery. I've rolled back to 4.2.8432 for now - I'll try the update again when I get back from work this evening.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?
I manually installed it to me Glo. The sync happened, but I would say the "Checking for updates" took longer than usual. But, this could be the device. I frequently get network problems with it when the other devices have none. Also, it could be the message was not updated. The home screen updated while the checking message was still displayed. In any case, the sync has completed with no problems.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:25 AM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Because I am tired of the argument of which version of the hack:

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen=true
Is this your slightly cryptic way of saying Kobo has introduced an experimental Night Mode option?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Here's a couple of screen caps from my KA1. The first is from immediately after the update when I had opened one book, after that I opened the maximum of 4 books that show on the home screen. My Books seems to sit in place but the Recommended will change to other blobs. Not sure if this version has the issue but the "A quick refresher" popup seems to show up on almost every power cycle.
Can you dismiss the "Recommended", "Find your next great read", and "Read articles from the we..."?

Can you dismiss tiles in general?

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:32 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
How did you get unstuck?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #15
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
I let my Aura 6" Sync over wifi just now - the Sync took longer than normal, but the update did not take very long from the patched version of the software.

The home screen now has 4 books that I am reading across the top (that I really should finish...) and shows the percent read and time remaining. The second row of graphics left is "My Books" and lower left is "Recommended, Based on your books", then a bottom text row with "Find your next great read" on the left and a way to browse by category on the right.

It does not look like you can have reading stats show on the home screen.

From within a book it takes an extra touch to get to the home screen.

It looks like it is mainly change to get the advertising some additional attention. Aesthetically, it looks good, so I will not complain.

It is interesting that 2 updates came pretty quickly, but now I will be able to remember my patch setting since I just adjusted stuff last night!
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote