Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
awx
Connoisseur
awx is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650 & PRS-600
ePubPack, a quickie ePub zip utility for Windows (GPL)

Here's an open-source utility to help quickly create a proper ePub zip container from a folder.

To use, select your ePub "mimetype" file and choose a Filename.epub to save as. Then click the "Create ePub File" button. All files inside the source folder will be included in the ePub file.

Installer with auto-updater:
setup.exe

Zip download with no installer:
ePubPack-1.3.2.0.zip

Site:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/epubpack/

License: GPL v3 or later

Requirements: Windows 7, Vista or XP & .Net 4.0

Please let me know if there are any bugs.

Last edited by awx; 09-20-2010 at 01:40 PM.
awx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Under Windows XP, the select ePub Folder button does not work. It is looking for an ePub file, and can't be used to select a folder.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
awx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Under Windows XP, the select ePub Folder button does not work. It is looking for an ePub file, and can't be used to select a folder.
The 1st button requires you to select the "mimetype" file at the root of your ePub folder.

The 2nd button requires you to give it a filename ending with ".epub", not a folder.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by awx View Post
The 1st button requires you to select the "mimetype" file at the root of your ePub folder.
Thanks. What was throwing me off was the "ePub Folder:" line in the main window, but it makes sense that you have to select the mimetype to allow navigation between folders.

This worked on the couple of ePubs I tested, and it will be useful the next time I have to manually edit an ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
awx
Connoisseur

I'm not opposed to changing how it works and understand that the label is somewhat misleading. I felt that selecting the mimetype file was a decent method to ensure users picked an actual ePub folder rather than something random.

Also, I should have mentioned in the first post that ePubPack does almost no validation of the input files. It just blindly zips up the contents of the folder. If you feed it garbage, you'll get an invalid ePub file.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
I installed it but the program doesn't work (?)

I downloaded the setup.exe and it first installed .NET 4.0. Then it asked me to reboot so I did it and after reboot it finished the installation. I tried to open epubpack from the shortcut icon in startup menu but it doesn't do anything. I checked location for the shortcut icon but it doesn't lead to Program files folder or anywhere where epubpack is installed. Where it installed the .exe file?

I have XP.
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
awx
Connoisseur

I'll have to try to find an XP machine without .Net on it to try to reproduce that. In the meantime, uninstall ePubPack and then re-install it. It should be much quicker as .Net is already installed.

The installer puts the app in the user profile folder, not in program files.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
awx
Connoisseur

I tested the install on two XP machines and it worked fine. I'd say just re-install it.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
awx
Connoisseur

New version released that makes the mimetype file selection process clearer. Also, the window position and last used directories are now remembered. Menu bar and about box added.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:04 AM   #10
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by awx View Post
I'll have to try to find an XP machine without .Net on it to try to reproduce that. In the meantime, uninstall ePubPack and then re-install it. It should be much quicker as .Net is already installed.

The installer puts the app in the user profile folder, not in program files.
I uninstalled ePubPack and then reinstalled it but that didn't work. I still can't find epubpack.exe anywhere from my hard drive. Seems that it only installs shortcut icon and link to this thread but not an .exe file.
I downloaded the ZIP file, unzipped and tried to use epubpack.exe from there but the whole program doesn't even start up :/ Probably something with my computer.
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
awx
Connoisseur

Windows makes many parts of the filesystem invisible. But on XP, the installer will put the ePubPack.exe somewhere similar to this:
c:\Documents & Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\
Old 05-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
awx
Connoisseur

I was bored at work today so here's a new version.

* Background can be toggled between white and cardboard.
* GPL license file now included with zip archive.
* Auto-updater changed to check only once per day.

Last edited by awx; 05-27-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
awx
Connoisseur

Minor new version released:
* Bug fix for exception thrown while attempting to browse unavailable network shares.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
awx
Connoisseur

Minor new version released:
* Improved feedback when creating files. Dialog box now shown after ePub creation.
* Option added to show or not show dialog when ePub creation is successful. Dialog will always show when creation fails.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard
mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPhone 6, Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad 2
I was looking for a small Windows utility to re-build the ePub files I open to edit the .opf and .ncx files (since I can't edit those in Sigil), and this does just that. I don't know if it's still maintainted or something but it's still working, so thanks!

On a related note, except oXygen, is there any text/xml editor that can open directly an ePub file to edit it without the need to re-build it every time?
mtrahan is offline   Reply With Quote