Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Looking for Original in Toronto area

Hi all,

Once I seeded a Kobo with my mother, I caused a bit of a bloom of Kobo-using readers in her family ... one that has ten sisters. Kobo's ease of use and Canadian origins has caused the majority of them to, more-or-less, demand Kobo's from whoever is doing the gift-giving. And in that way, they've become their own little Kobo support group.

Now it's time for Aunt Irma who lives out west in Manitoba and I wanted to brighten up her life a bit, since she's been going through some tough times. So, I thought I'd get her an Original Kobo, loaded up with some books my Mom says she would like, and get it delivered to her. She doesn't need anything more than the Original. She's ... well, let's say mature but spry. Doesn't have a computer or a cell phone. But she's got the ereader bug from her sisters.

When I went out to get one here in Brampton, I couldn't find one. Or a refurb. And my on-line search was a bit less than fruitful.

Anybody know where I can buy a classic, refurb or not, in the northwest Toronto area? I do have a separate Sony charger that I;m led to believe will also work on her Kobo, obviating the need for a computer and a USB port. If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Thanks in advance, GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
kjturner71
kjturner71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
I believe BestBuy now sells refurbs and/or origninals
kjturner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Haven't seen any originals around for a while (I'm also a Bramptonite). Have you checked on Kijiji?
Why no wifi? I bought a WiFi version for my sister because she doesn't have a computer, but could go to the local Starbucks to buy books directly on the device.

edit - Futureshop still lists refurb originals on their website as in store only, but haven't seen any actually in the stores.

Last edited by 5thWiggle; 02-28-2011 at 12:39 PM.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
The newer one is so worth the extra expense, and NOT because of the WiFi.
2nd Generation is more stable than the first, and the screen clarity is improved and page turns also faster.
You're far, far better off looking for a refurb WiFi Kobo and spending the extra few bucks. I had nothing but hassle with my original, but my WiFi has worked a treat since day one.
I never use the WiFi option- it's kind of nice to know it's there, but I never use it.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Haven't seen any originals around for a while (I'm also a Bramptonite). Have you checked on Kijiji?
Why no wifi? I bought a WiFi version for my sister because she doesn't have a computer, but could go to the local Starbucks to buy books directly on the device.

edit - Futureshop still lists refurb originals on their website as in store only, but haven't seen any actually in the stores.
I spent last Friday traipsing about Brampton. I know Future Shop listed in-store refurbs, but the site wouldn't list how many there were in various stores. And nobody answered the phone that day. Sooo, I ended my 'shopping' there. Turns out they keep the Kobo's in the Auto Accessories section (kid you not), but didn't have any originals, refurbs or not. The lady checked EVERY OTHER store in the Toronto area. ZERO's across the board. BUT they had 39 refurbs in the warehouse. So I got a rain check.

Today, I called, rather than make the trip from Bramalea to the Trinity Commons and found out they were all gone. The rain check was worthless.

My basic desire is a Kobo from a commercial outlet. I'll buy used from a private owner (I've had an offer through this forum for such), but I'd like to avoid 'classifieds' at this point. I'd probably just buy the wifi version if it came to that point.

Wifi would be completely wasted on my aunt. Given the 100 classics, which I bet she's read about 50, give or take, plus what Mom doesn't need on hers, plus a few extra here and there that I've accumulated, I'm betting I can give my aunt enough books to last until she's 110 or thereabouts. She might get there. She's going to outlive most of us at the rate she's going. But she's totally electronics illiterate. Savvy enough to recharge the Kobo and get used to it (all I worry about is the breaking in period learning about menus), I'd still prefer the same model the rest of the sisters have. It means some questions can get answered during their weekly (seems daily) gabfests.

All in all, just trying to put a smile on her face to replace that frown I'm told she's been wearing lately.

GM
Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinín View Post
The newer one is so worth the extra expense, and NOT because of the WiFi.
2nd Generation is more stable than the first, and the screen clarity is improved and page turns also faster.
You're far, far better off looking for a refurb WiFi Kobo and spending the extra few bucks. I had nothing but hassle with my original, but my WiFi has worked a treat since day one.
I never use the WiFi option- it's kind of nice to know it's there, but I never use it.
Have to admit, you make a cogent arguement for the WIFI. Since the sisters seem to talk to each other daily (I kid, but not by much), I'm still of a mind to give her the same as they have. It'd be a built-in support group. That said, Mom's on her THIRD Kobo. More stable, if a bit different, wouldn't be the worst thing. Things to ponder, still.

Thanks, GM
Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

Hi folks,

I now have a lovingly pre-owned Kobo Classic in my possession thanks to the generosity (and a small stipend) from a Kobo-using MobileRead member. It arrived today in great shape and I'll be putting a few books on it over the next four days. My cousin is passing through early next week and will hand deliver it to my aunt.

Thanks to all for the helpful and thought-provoking suggestions.

GM
Old 07-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
ne0b0rn
ne0b0rn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Gary would your mom or anyone you know in manitoba be able to borrow and ebook for me? I am searching for this title

http://elm.lib.overdrive.com/128AF21...8-C7283F1639DC

Thanks in advance if there is anything you can do.
ne0b0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #9
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0b0rn View Post
Gary would your mom or anyone you know in manitoba be able to borrow and ebook for me? I am searching for this title

http://elm.lib.overdrive.com/128AF21...8-C7283F1639DC

Thanks in advance if there is anything you can do.
Neoborn,

The book isn't something my Mom or I would normally get. She and the rest of the clan are dedicated romance readers. Now, that said, I can certainly email the Manitoba branch and see if they might have picked the book up. If so, I'll be back here to let you know. However, it would be a surprise.

But that's the reason folks by lottery tickets. Somebody gets surprised every time.

Regards, GM
Old 07-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjturner71 View Post
I believe BestBuy now sells refurbs and/or origninals
saw refurb at futureshop for 69.99

heres the link

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...9002ec04e2en02

they list black and white.

Last edited by jackastor; 07-10-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: corrected informaiton
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote