Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
jladie
jladie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition
Using outside U.S.

Tired of waiting for Sony to bring this product to Canada and want to take a trip to U.S. and buy one for use here. Any thoughts on how I can do it? It's the whole wireless thing and bookstore account I'm concerned about not to mention authorizing it. Any advice would be really helpful. It's too much money to waste if I can't make it work.
jladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Well, no 900 here in Germany either. I have a 505 and 600 and neither of them is registered with Sony. If you want the 900 for its size, go for it. Content can be loaded via PC.
If you want it for the wireless 3G options, I doubt that it'll work.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Hi,
i own a PRS 900 and i'm living in germany. Wireless doesn't work and i haven't tried to replace the sim card. Access to sony bookstore doesn't work too but who cares. I'm loading lots of books (pdf and epub) using calibre and sony library with no problems. It's not registered and no need to authorize against sony.

you can't buy the PRS 900 in germany from a store but you can try ebay (currently there's no offer) maybe ebay america. or you can buy directly from Sony Usa using usunlocked (http://www.usunlocked.com/). so, getting a PRS 900 outside the u.s. isn't really a problem.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Yes, getting a product from the US shouldn't be the problem.
SkyDream, coming from the 505, how do you like your 900? As it isn't sold here, I went with the 600 instead. Can the 900 do stuff the 600 cannot (despite having the larger display and replaceable battery)?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
jladie

My understanding is that the 900 has a better screen clarity than the touch which is available here in Canada. I can easily drive to the US to buy the 900 but can I open up a US account and use it here? My iPhone is 3G! I really don't care about the wifi element; my main concern is the screen clarity as the touch (600?) does not have a good screen. In fact, it is far worse for contrast that the very first reader they introduced into the marketplace. Like the iPad, I would have thought that someone would have figured out how to open up a US account from another country. Anyone else have any ideas?
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Mike_73
Guru

Hmm. I've heard that the 900s screen would be slightly better than the 600. But that I doubt that it makes that much of a difference.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jladie View Post
I would have thought that someone would have figured out how to open up a US account from another country. Anyone else have any ideas?
It might be different opening up an account from just "next door" - but I bought my PRS 600 in the UK (through Amazon, no less) and just registered it as a US unit from here in France. A friend buys me gift cards at Best Buy (they're available at Target, but she doesn't have a handy Target in her area) and e-mails me the codes to activate the cards in my account.

So far, so good, but they do seem to be in process of making changes to how the Sony store in the US "checks" for things. On my latest purchase, they asked for my "home" address, so I gave my friend's address. No problem.

I figure I have been making semi-annual trips to the US where I buy lots of books to take back with me to France and no one seems to have any problem with that. Technically, I suppose, they ought to set up a way to collect VAT on the book prices like they do for software now, but until they figure that one out on their own, I'll continue to do things the way I'm doing them and if necessary, I will look into changing the billing address on my US credit card to allow me to buy directly.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
bbesse
bbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with othersbbesse plays well with others

Device: PaperWhite WiFi, Kindle 3 WiFi!
I am in Canada as well and thinking of doing the same thing. I would be interested in hearing your story when your are done.
Cheers,
...Brent...
bbesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
SkyDream, coming from the 505, how do you like your 900? As it isn't sold here, I went with the 600 instead. Can the 900 do stuff the 600 cannot (despite having the larger display and replaceable battery)?
Mike_73: I haven't used the 505 since having the 900 in my hands. Although the 505 has the better display (no glare but no touchscreen) the 900 is way better. I love the greater display but still looking for 9 or 10 inches or greater. I really read a lot of stuff and having lesser page turns due to bigger display is a good point. I also like the dictionary which wasn't available on the 505. Also pdf handling is way better. While 505 has problems with bigger pdf files (sometimes it have to reset the 505 to get it working again) the 900 is doing well even with the big ones (e.g. 60 MB file)

Unfortunately Sony still hasn't fixed the problem with lots of files on external memory. It would really like to put all my books onto a 16 gb card. But all devices are unable to handle it. It takes ages to scan all the files on the card.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Mike_73
Guru

Thank you SkyDream. That hits pretty much what I thought. I assume the 900 is pretty much a blown up 600 (more or less, I'm concentrating on the same features here, not the 3G and such). So I guess I'll stay with my 600 and wait for a 8"+ reader having a more regular display format.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
SkyDream
Wizard

You are welcome.
Having the 600 there is no real reason to go for the 900.
Having the 505 its better to go for the 900 than the 600 if one can spend the extra money.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Unfortunately Sony still hasn't fixed the problem with lots of files on external memory. It would really like to put all my books onto a 16 gb card. But all devices are unable to handle it. It takes ages to scan all the files on the card.
Having the 505 its better to go for the 900 than the 600 if one can spend the extra money.
If handling "lots of files on external memory" is a priority then the 505 combined with PRS+ is currently the best choice. PRS+ allows you to turn off the scan of the sd card and browse the folders to open a book.

The creator of PRS+ stated that this part of the hack might soon come to the 600.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 AM   #13
Mike_73
Guru

Yes, I heard this too. I wonder what can be done (additionally) with the touch screen.

Here's Kartus statement from the dev thread:
"Regarding 600 model, port of "Browse Folders" feature is planned in foreseeable future.
I'll work on it after releasing "localized" version of PRS+ for 505. It's much harder than 505, as you can't do mistakes, but still doable."
Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #14
jladie

I finally got my PRS 900 and it's great. Registered to my parent's who are snowbirds and have a southern address and I download to my computer and then upload to my reader. I have a U S reader store account. Everything is working great. I use either my parent's U S credit card or a sony gift card I pick up on EBay. I'm a very happy camper.