Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?
williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Stuff I'd like to write

I've been looking around for anthologies to submit to in recent weeks. I've got recent sales to anthos dedicated to Sherlock Holmes and Lovecraft's Mythos, as well as the publication of my Carnacki ebook, and again it got me thinking about what other anthos I'd like to write for -- and read, in other writers' universes.

I've posted this before, slightly changed, but maybe if I post it often enough someone will take notice :-)

So, with tongue only slightly in cheek, this is a call for editors/publishers to get their fingers out and announce submission calls for the following:-

Black Mass - A Dennis Wheatley tribute. Wheatley wasn't the world's greatest writer, but his books filled store shelves before Stephen King came along, and did a lot to mould my liking for supernatural fiction. I'd love to have a go at an old school Satanic romp with his characters.

She Who Must be Obeyed - an H Rider Haggard tribute. I've always wanted to do an Allan Quatermain/Lost civilisation story.

Tarzan Returns - How cool would it be to do a Tarzan story? Well for a lad who grew up on the ERB books, it would be geek heaven.

Challenger - Why not a Professor Challenger antho as opposed to a Holmes one? And Challenger was an Ayrshire man, like me. I've got many ideas just waiting for the right antho :-)

Quatermass - And thinking of Challenger brings me straight to Quatermass, one of my earliest heroes. It's surely time for an antho of British science gone wrong?

Fu-Manchu - I -so- want to write an old school criminal mastermind story

Flash: Saviour of the Universe - No, not Flash Gordon (although I'd love to do one of them too) but Harry Flashman, all round cad and adventurer. I think I could have a -lot- of fun with this one.

And those are just off the top of my head. I'd also love to write a Conan story, or one set in Moorcock's Eternal Champion Universe, or using Gemmell's Jerusalem Man. There are also many TV show characters I'd love to write stories for, from the X-Files to Dr. Who, from Adam Adamant to Supernatural.

Not a single one of these is likely to happen any time soon and I'm not holding my breath waiting for invitations to submit.

But a boy can dream can't he?

And if any editors are reading -- I'm free.
williemeikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by williemeikle View Post

And if any editors are reading -- I'm free.
Just out of interest, why do you feel that you need publishers to write them for, why can't you just write and release them yourself on Smahswords, etc?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?
williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.williemeikle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Just out of interest, why do you feel that you need publishers to write them for, why can't you just write and release them yourself on Smahswords, etc?
Because I love being in anthologies with other writers, some of them big names, and I love seeing my stories in books on shop shelves. I've had stories in anthos this year alone alongside work by the likes of Ramsey Campbell, Tom Piccirilli and Alan Dean Foster and just today one was announced where I have a story alongside Kim Newman, Fred Saberhagen, Christopher Fowler and Simon Clark... all names familiar to any horror reader.

I also like being paid a professional rate for a short story, and having the validation that having the story being picked by a well-know editor brings.

There's that, plus the fact that you need to get the rights from the original owner to write for most of those characters, and they're not available to Joe Public, only to big publishing houses who can afford to pay the fees required.

THAT's why. :-)
Old 10-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
hehe. Your long list of things you want to write is sorta like my folder of writing. I've got so many great ideas and things I could write about that I ultimately ended up having to clean it out a few times and chuck older ideas in favor of newer ones, and despite how fast I'm working I'll probably never get even the ones I have now done before I die. Just too many good ideas. ^_^;;
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by williemeikle View Post
There's that, plus the fact that you need to get the rights from the original owner to write for most of those characters, and they're not available to Joe Public, only to big publishing houses who can afford to pay the fees required.

THAT's why. :-)
Couldn't you just change them a bit? They're mostly archetypal characters that readers would recognise. I'm assuming you didn't have to pay Guy Smith to use giant crabs?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
That's a good point. Criminal masterminds and hero's who have some sort of skills (not dependant on super powers) are pretty well known. I mean there is Batman and The Shadow not to mention MacGyver for the hero's for example. None of them have super powers (though the shadow uses some sort of hypnosis on his adversaries). Not to mention Sherlock Holmes who is very observant of things that others don't pay attention to and who uses the knowledge he has in conjuction with that insight to solve his cases. For that matter the modern 'action hero' of the movies is that sort most often. They get bloodied up while fighting the bad guy and don't have super powers. I mean characters like Rambo and John McClaine (die hard movies) not to mention the Zorro movies. I think that's part of what makes such stories exciting. You know the hero won't get away without a scratch unlike hero's with super powers.

Quote:
Couldn't you just change them a bit? They're mostly archetypal characters that readers would recognise. I'm assuming you didn't have to pay Guy Smith to use giant crabs?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
williemeikle
Are the stars right yet?

Quote:
I got Guy's permission...

And as I've said, I want to be in an anthology, in shops, with other writers. I don't get that if I just write on-spec.