Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
.rtf bigger than .doc

I have a ebook in the .doc format that has a size of 1.313KB. When I save it as a .rtf it becomes 1.971KB! Shouldn't the .rtf be smaller?

Does anyone has an idea what could cause this?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yeah, it should.

Try opening it in WordPad and saving it that'll strip a lot of extra stuff off it. It'll also strip off the author/title metadata, but you can put that back in maually with NotePad ... the details are around M.R. somehwhere .... (rummage, rummage)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here is the trick I think you are referring to (to add author title without MS Word)...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1305#post41305 courtesy of ltamote!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The very one. Thanks, Bob.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Thanks guys. I found out that I have many more files where the rtf is bigger than the doc. The only thing is that with these files the rtf files are just a few KB bigger so no big deal here.

About my problem where a .doc format that has a size of 1.313KB becomes 1.971KB when I save it as a .rtf.

I managed to get it from 1.971KB to 1.131KB! How? I saved it as a Word6.0/95(*.doc). And then saved it back to a rtf. The result is exactly the same formatting etc. but a much smaller filesize. It must have dumped a lot of garbage when saved as Word6.0/95(*.doc). The rtf file is still a few KB bigger than the doc but it's more balanced like my other files. It's a mystery to me how a file with so many garbage can still be displayed correctly!

I tried it also on my other files but they stayed the same. Still it is weird that a rtf is bigger(even if it's a few KB) than a doc.
Advert
Old 11-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
I tried it also on my other files but they stayed the same. Still it is weird that a rtf is bigger(even if it's a few KB) than a doc.
I would have expected rtf to be slightly larger than doc just because the rtf is a mor universally recognized format. Doc's could be smaller since they belong to MS. Just my thoughts - no data to back them up.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I would expect RTFs to be bigger as well. Word documents are compressed to some degree, are they not?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
I would have expected rtf to be slightly larger than doc just because the rtf is a mor universally recognized format. Doc's could be smaller since they belong to MS. Just my thoughts - no data to back them up.

Hmmm....strange because I also have .doc bigger than the .rtf version.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
Au contraire ... Word doc format has many meta tags inside as it supports many additional stuffs in Word. RTF is 'univeral' but is lighter. Just as ASCII and HTML are both universal, but can still be lighter than Word doc. 8)
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #10
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I have to throw this in. I prefer .txt over .doc or .rtf, the print size when you want it large is much larger and for those with glasses, .txt is the format I prefer on this reader, at least that is how it appears to be working at this moment for me.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

You ought to be able to bump the text size up in any of those files before you load it on the Reader, that'll give you a bigger "small" size to start from ....
Old 11-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #12
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I tried that with .rft I do believe and it didn't make any difference when it got to the reader...... Of course I will have to try this again, but I did try and I won't even bother with .pdf files...... arggggggggggg and I don't think I like holding the thing in landmark view to make them larger. I will definetly load up something, make it larger and save it that way and try again to see what happened. Maybe I got mixed up with what I was putting up there. I know I loaded up a .doc (which doesn't work on my reader other than through the connect thing) yes I have word....... had the same file as .rtf and then .txt and was much happier with the .txt.... either way, as long as I can get it on this thing and read I will be a happy camper...
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #13
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
I like RTF over TXT because I can format the fonts and headings, etc. I have a template "Sony Reader" in Word which uses 20tp font for my RTF. Readable on the "S" setting and huge on "L" even to my old eyes

If I have charts, pictures, etc I print to Acrobat, using a predefined (as suggested elsewhere on this board, I cannot recall by whom) "Sony Reader" page using the "smallest file size" option. A 912kb Doc file ends up 1.275mb in PDF
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:40 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If the document contains any pictures, the RTF file can be a LOT bigger than the DOC. RTF files store images in an extremely "verbose" way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:17 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
RTF files store images in an extremely "verbose" way.
Heh, 'verbose' pictures, that's a funny thought. I guess in RTFs, a picture is worth a thousand words.