Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #796
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
What I really don't get logically is the banning of potatoes. I've read about it in numerous articles and books but I never understood what is soo wrong with them.
The carbohydrates in potatoes have a high glycemic index (they cause the blood sugar levels to rise and fall quickly in spikes - which affects insulin secretion. Carbs that are rapidly broken down into the bloodstream are thought to be stored as fat (under the influence of insulin), whereas foods with a low GI are broken down more slowly and used as an energy source by the body rather than being stored as fat. High GI carbs begin conversion to glucose in the mouth and are thought to stimulate appetite, whereas low GI carbs cause a feeling of satiety with lower portion sizes.

All this is somewhat controversial - a lot depends on individual differences in metabolism, activity levels, etc. But I found that there was a sizable difference in the portion size between "white" pasta and "brown" pasta (rice, spaghetti, etc.) that was "filling" to me - I ate a LOT less brown pasta but felt quite full - never went back for seconds.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #797
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
hmmm I like the scale we are using at work for a weight loss competition. According to it, I am at 172. That would be an 8 pound lose since October, including 5 weeks of no exercise due to illness and visitors.

I am not sure I believe said scale but, what the heck, I'll take it as a sign that I am moving in the right direction.

Potatoes, like most foods, are fine in moderation. The problem is most of us don't eat them in modearation and when we do eat them we eat them fried or loaded wiht butte, sour cream and other things. Also, we tend to remove the skin which is where most of the nutrients are. A small baked potato with salsa or veggies is good for you. A large baked potato with butter, sour cream, chives, salt and the like is bad for you.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #798
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Potatoes, like most foods, are fine in moderation. The problem is most of us don't eat them in modearation and when we do eat them we eat them fried or loaded wiht butte, sour cream and other things.
Roast potatoes, even more than chips (french fries) are my downfall. But we only have them once a week.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #799
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
A large baked potato with butter, sour cream, chives, salt and the like is bad for you.
The other things are bad, clearly, but what's bad about chives?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #800
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Thanks pooh for the long explanation. Hope I can trust the Prof

Quote:
Potatoes, like most foods, are fine in moderation.
as I eat almost no meat I couldn't cut down on potatoes, too.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #801
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
I made a living of potatoes (well, almost, supported by steak and salad) and went from 85 Kg to current 77 with only minimal support by occasional nordic walking .

Maybe I can pull myself together for the last 5 Kg, then I'm fine.

Ah,nearly forgot to mention. No alcohol (ok, occasionally) and no snacks (this one really absolute)
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #802
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
It was suggested to me that I cut out potatoes, corn, and pasta if I wanted to lose weight. Potatoes weren't a frequent item on my menu, except the occasional Rosti, or fries once a month or so at McDs, so no problem. But do NOT try and take away my popcorn! I eat it almost every night. But the amount that I eat (less than 1/3 cup un-popped spread over three nights) amounts to almost nothing. Great snack food and low calorie if made without much oil. I have a special popcorn pot with a built-in stirrer that only needs one TBS of olive oil. It almost uses more calories to chew the popcorn than they contain!

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 01-14-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: EDIT: This is NOT the 'WhirlyPop' pan. I tried that but it was too flimsy, and didn't allow the steam to escape.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #803
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Thanks pooh for the long explanation. Hope I can trust the Prof

as I eat almost no meat I couldn't cut down on potatoes, too.
The absolute ban on potatoes is during the first 2-4 weeks when you "shock" your system's metabolism by removing virtually all readily digested carbs. Afterwards you can add back small portions of food you can't live without. I believe that sweet potatoes are permitted .... but I really don't care for them.

Basically carbs from "white" starch sources are bad carbs, carbs from "brown" starch sources are good carbs.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #804
poohbear_nc
Now what?

@Stitchy - plain popcorn is an "approved" snack food - esp. if popped in a "good" oil - like olive oil. Just leave off the butter.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #805
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
@Stitchy - plain popcorn is an "approved" snack food - esp. if popped in a "good" oil - like olive oil. Just leave off the butter.
I'm a popcorn purist. No butter, no garlic, no cheese, etc. Just olive oil and salt, and not too much of either. I used to use Palm Oil as the flavor is just like the movie theaters, but switched to Olive for better health.

I was given a 'Popcorn Cookbook' with dozens of different popcorn topping recipes, but after trying them all, went right back to just salt. I do, however, occasionally use popcorn as a breakfast cereal with milk and honey, or crushed as a coating on fried or roasted chicken, etc. rather than breadcrumbs or batters.

Stitchawl
Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #806
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am looking for a good air popper so I can make popcorn at home. I bought some yeast flakes that taste a little cheesy and goes nicely on popcorn. Add some nutrients to the snack with few calories.

Now to find a good air popper.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #807
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I am looking for a good air popper so I can make popcorn at home. I bought some yeast flakes that taste a little cheesy and goes nicely on popcorn. Add some nutrients to the snack with few calories.

I've had one that looks like this one (although not pink) for several years, and it does a good job, although not suitable for large scale production. But if you just want a bowl or two at a time it's great.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #808
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:

You're lucky you like the taste of air-popped corn. I can't stand it. To me, it's like eating my pillow. I use a tablespoon of olive oil in my popper, that adds 20 calories of good flavor. (Use a premium brand of Olive oil and it almost tastes like butter!) One cup of air-popped corn is about 35 calories, and one cup of olive oil popped corn is 55. I can make two cups of popcorn last a whole evening of watching some movies. Chewing it uses up almost as much calories as it contains!

Stitchawl
Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #809
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've had one that looks like this one (although not pink) for several years, and it does a good job, although not suitable for large scale production. But if you just want a bowl or two at a time it's great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
You're lucky you like the taste of air-popped corn. I can't stand it. To me, it's like eating my pillow. I use a tablespoon of olive oil in my popper, that adds 20 calories of good flavor. (Use a premium brand of Olive oil and it almost tastes like butter!) One cup of air-popped corn is about 35 calories, and one cup of olive oil popped corn is 55. I can make two cups of popcorn last a whole evening of watching some movies. Chewing it uses up almost as much calories as it contains!
I had the same one (in white - no girly me!), and thought it did a good job, though I agree that it did need something added (salt, mostly) to make them more edible. As I try never to add salt to my food these days, it limits me a bit on popcorn enjoyment.

Damn, I'm going to have to make some now. All I have are the microwave "pop in the bag" type, but it will have to do.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #810
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I need to shed some 5 kilos from Christmas and all. But the only way for me is to go hungry. I find that easier than thinking about what kind of food I can eat all the time.
So in the morning I eat a cracker with peanutbutter or humus and in the evening a good meal (non-fat and no pasta), and that's it. Perhaps one orange in between.

And I walk or cycle one hour a day.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote