Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 07-03-2017, 03:46 AM   #1
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Help: Changing the font in a book (even to standard)

Hello, I have a problem with fonts in an ebook (azw3).
In the ebook editor I see no font in the fonts list - both editing it as an epub or as azw3.
Yet the ebook is displayed both by the kindle and the calibre reader with an ugly monospaced font, very disturbing to read.
I would like to change it reverting the book to a "no font specified", so that the kindle uses its default ones, but I am unable to.

What I can't understand is WHERE the font might be specified.
In the Fonts list it does not appear.
In the manage fonts dialog, a "monospace" font-family appears but only if I edit the epub version (not in the azw3).
That said, I find absolutely no specification of the font in the .css files (see attachment).

The only thing that refers to it is in this:

Code:
.calibre4 {
    display: block;
    font-family: monospace;
    font-size: 0.88889em;
    line-height: 1.2;
    text-align: left;
    text-indent: 0;
    white-space: pre-wrap;
    margin: 0
    }
There are two other entities with font-family: monospace specified, .center3 and .right; but even if I comment out with /* */ the font-family row, nothing changes in the way the ebook looks.

I have checked the html files as well, but no font is specified in the tags.
For example, see:

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
  <head><meta charset="UTF-8"/>
    <title>Sconosciuto</title>
    <link href="../styles/0001.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
    <link href="../styles/0003.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>

</head>
  <body class="calibre">

<h2 class="center2" id="heading_id_2"><em class="calibre5"><strong class="calibre1">PROLOGO</strong></em></h2>
<pre class="center3">*</pre>
<pre class="right"><em class="calibre2">Valico del Gran San Bernardo, Alpi Pennine</em></pre>
<pre class="right"><em class="calibre2">Maggio 1800</em></pre>
<pre class="calibre4"> </pre>
<pre class="calibre4">Una folata di vento fece mulinare un turbine di neve intorno alle zampe di Styrie, [...]</pre>
All this text is displayed in fixed width font which, to me, is absolutely confusing.
Can somebody please help?

Thank you so much!
Attached Files
File Type: zip cssfiles.zip (888 Bytes, 108 views)

Last edited by Ruskie_it; 07-03-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:49 AM   #2
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Just to give you an idea, the attachment below shows how it looks (in the calibre previewer, but it's the same on actual kindle).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	look.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	157698  
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2017, 05:32 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The book appears to be formatted with the <pre> tag instead of <p>. The default for <pre> is to use a monospaced font, and to preserve whitespace.

As well as removing the font-family:monospace and white-space: pre-wrap properties, you could try adding something like this to the stylesheet:
Code:
pre { font-family: inherit; white-space: normal; }
but the <pre> tag is likely to mess up the formatting options on some ereaders, so a real fix would probably involve replacing all the <pre> tags with <p>.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote