Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
So what e-reader do you use now you've given up on Sony?

I guess a lot of former-Sony customers have chosen not to go with the T3 and have chosen a different brand.

I had a 650 and loved it. Now I use a Nook ST with Coolreader. The rooted OS is great.

I think if I was in the market for an e-reader now, I'd get a Kobo Glo and root it.

If you gave up on Sony, what did you move to?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Shortly after the T3 came out I found a refurb T1 from Sony, so I decided to get it as a backup for my first T1. I later got a Kobo Touch so I could try out kepubs and the other user-settings stuff.
I still like the Sony T1. Won't give up on them until I can't replace their batteries any more.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I haven't given up on Sony. My 350s (correction, my collection of 350s) are still my favorite reader that I still compare all others to.

But because of wanting a built in light, I'm using the Kobo Glo quite a bit now. I take my reader with everywhere and it's nice to not have to worry about also having to carry spare batteries with (or I'll admit the odd looks you get at weird appendages extending from the reader too). The Kobo Glo's hardware is fantastic, I think it's the best front-lit reader out there right now for me. But the firmware gives me nightmares, it's that bad. Each new firmware introduces new bugs instead of fixing old ones.

I'm still hoping Sony will see the light and possibly next year finally give us a front-lit reader. I'll immediately buy one if and when they do, even if I have to bribe someone in Canada or Europe to buy it for me and ship it to me in case they stupidly refuse to sell them in the US.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I have moved to an iPad Mini
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
If I really had to now, I would probably switch to a Pocketbook Touch Lux. But for the next five years or so I'm confident that my T3S will last and who knows what will be available then. My PRS-500 also still works.

hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I still like the Sony T1. Won't give up on them until I can't replace their batteries any more.
Does this mean you have replaced the battery, or at least opened the case?

I have a complicated situation....My (adult) son wanted to replace the battery on the T1 I gave him many years ago. But he flubbed it. I'm sure I can get everything back, but.....

There is a small 1/2 inch square "board" that I don't know where it goes. It looks like about the size of the minisd card slot, but there are no connectors on it, just the sodering points. It could go on top of the sd card slot, but I haven't found anywhere it could go.

Did you see anything like this when you opened your T1.

If you haven't opened it, please ignore this post.

Thanks, AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
ludovicus
ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5, Fire HD 10, Sony PRS-T1
AJ-

You can download the service manual for the T-1 at:

http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...0989329901.pdf

Hope this helps!

Ludovicus
ludovicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I went from a Sony 650 to an Aura HD to an Aura.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Bought my first Kindle, the PW2.

I still have a 350, but the only way I can add books to it is with my 4 year old laptop - which I don't intend on replacing. But I have years of books on it, so we'll just see how long the battery lasts.

Last edited by FacebookVirus; 01-10-2014 at 04:11 PM.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
I've just switched from a T1 to a Kobo Aura, and am enjoying the Aura's improved speed and screen immensely.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
I still have a 350, but the only way I can add books to it is with my 4 year old laptop - which I don't intend on replacing. But I have years of books on it, so we'll just see how long the battery lasts.
Could you clarify? I'm not understanding the reason for you having trouble adding ebooks except with a 4-year old laptop.
- Is it somehow tied to the age of the laptop (Vista, I presume)?
- Is it DRM? Correctable, I believe (haven't removed Sony's DRM personally).
- Is it the Sony Software? Correctable (Calibre, drag-and-drop).
- Or are you saying simply that you only have one PC and don't particularly like being tied to a PC?

I'd hate to see you getting rid of that nice portable 350 if the problem is correctable. It's so nice to put in your pocket.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #12
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
There is no removable SD or micro-SD, or WiFi on the 350.

Just trying to understand: other than connecting the 350 to a laptop, what other options are available to load new content?
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #13
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovicus View Post
AJ-

You can download the service manual for the T-1 at:

http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...0989329901.pdf

Hope this helps!

Ludovicus
Thanks, but I already had this manual. Unfortunately the displays of the circuit board are mostly drawings and not pictures. I would need a picture of the whole board with nothing removed.

Fortunately, it is not urgent. My son moved on to a tablet and doesn't expect the T1 back. It's just for my amusement and possibly spare parts for mine.

Thanks again.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #14
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
There is no removable SD or micro-SD, or WiFi on the 350.

Just trying to understand: other than connecting the 350 to a laptop, what other options are available to load new content?
OK, thanks. No, you're right, you can only load a 350 through its USB (from a PC, or a tablet that supports USB host, usually using a special cable).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Just replace my old 350 with a new T3, so I'm giving Sony another extension...

The T3 is excellent. I had to put it next to my 350 to check the screen size, as it is so small I thought I might have misread the T3 screen size. Lovely hardware, even better screen - no idea about what state sony software is at these days, after the horror of the Sony Reader software back in the 505 days it's been Calibre all the way. I didn't even bother installing the Sony software on the laptop.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote