Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #16
dstehle
dstehle began at the beginning.

Device: FR Reader
mrmikel -Thanks

mrmikel, your IRfanview suggestion worked perfectly. I changed a 40Mb epub file to 5Mb with no visible loss in image clarity.

dstehle
dstehle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #17
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the information about Irfanview. I got this oddly named program because I bought a Canon scanner with really awful software. I really like Irfanview but haven't explored it much because I do most of my image editing in Photoshop Elements.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2016, 08:15 AM   #18
rraod
Bibliophile
rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Irfanview can also be used as scanning software for scanners with twain driver.

I have been using this software for more than 10 years, and this handles most of my photo editing needs. A very versatile program. Recently Irfanview is released in 64 bit version also.
rraod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the ePub contains embedded fonts, subset the fonts and also losslessly compress the images in the ePub. Both of those things will reduce the size of the ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:45 AM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the ePub contains embedded fonts, subset the fonts and also losslessly compress the images in the ePub. Both of those things will reduce the size of the ePub.
For anyone coming along later, you know, the silly little program ezThumbnails will also batch process images in a single go. I've used it with geat success for initial pass operations. Works best with JPEG-->JPEG, but it's surprisingly flexible and efficient.

I have a ton of other programs that do similar functions, but I'm always surprised at how often I find uses for this one.

FWIW.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2016, 03:01 AM   #21
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
for images you might try this http://luci.criosweb.ro/riot/
That for lossy, png gauntlet and similar for lossless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
For anyone coming along later, you know, the silly little program ezThumbnails will also batch process images in a single go. I've used it with geat success for initial pass operations. Works best with JPEG-->JPEG, but it's surprisingly flexible and efficient.

I have a ton of other programs that do similar functions, but I'm always surprised at how often I find uses for this one.

FWIW.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

FWIW.
Could you please compare ezThumbnails to Calibre to see which one makes smaller files? I'll be comparing Calibre to ePUBOptimizer to see which makes smaller files.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Could you please compare ezThumbnails to Calibre to see which one makes smaller files? I'll be comparing Calibre to ePUBOptimizer to see which makes smaller files.
Wolfie, mon sweet:

Well. I freely admit, I have no idea how to do that in Calibre. Wanna drop a hint, and I'll see if I can scrape up some time today/tomorrow?

(You know, I keep telling you guys, I use Calibre for a library for our converted books, and that's about it. I'm not kidding youse! :-) I have recently tried the editor. It's quite nice. But that's about all.)

Hitch
Old 03-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

To losslessly compress images in Calibre, it's in polish books.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #25
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm pretty sure that calibre comes without any polish books :P I'd have noticed.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that calibre comes without any polish books :P I'd have noticed.
Right click on a book and from the popup menu, select Polish books. So yes, there is Polish books.I use it a lot.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #27
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

*sigh* can I get a pair of pun tags please?
Old 03-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
*sigh* can I get a pair of pun tags please?
I think we have to make them ourselves. Somehow, Polish books, Calibre, and Jon just all combine for a giggle. (Sorry, my sweet curmudgeon!)

@Wolfie:

So, you want me to take an ePUB, polish it in Calibre, whilst having made an unpolished copy, and reducing those images with the thumbnail tool? I can do that, although I probably should say that 80+% of the time, I'd be using my fileoptimize tool.

Hmph...now I have to find an ePUB with images that have magically escaped our beady optimization eye. Do you have one from the MR library you're using for this test, Jon?

Hitch
Old 03-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
So, you want me to take an ePUB, polish it in Calibre ...
@Hitch - FWIW you can calibre polish an ePub at the command line, no need to be russian off to czech it into a library.

Also because of this I've given X1 a

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-09-2016 at 07:52 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #30
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Ever since it was added in Calibre, I can't help reading "Polish Books" as "Polish Books".
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote