Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #436
ron777
ron777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Fabula, could you please explain as clear as you can how you loaded the tts-files to activate the female voice?. Thanks.
ron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #437
Right Lane Cruis
Right Lane Cruis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I have been running this update on my Kindles (first a DXi, now a DXG) very happily and I'm extremely pleased to have the ability to run my Active Content again with the recently published hack! I do however have an issue I've seen no mention of anywhere on the forum and I'm curious if:

1) Am I the only one experiencing this?
2) Can anyone help me resolve or work around it?

I have used the earlier posted link to a torrent of Kindle 3 files to get this update to work and on both the DXi and now the DXG I find that Alt-G (for screen refreshes) no longer works. The key sequence appears to be completely ignored. In an attempt to work around it I loaded in the Launchpad hack and echoed various strings (found from other hacks here) to /proc/eink_fb/update_display with zero results (Ex from launchpad.ini: G = !echo 19 0 > /proc/eink_fb/update_display). I even tried a few sequences stripped from the no flashing hack echoed to the same proc entry, but no dice. I eventually concluded that the echoing is only setting contrast modes and not actually touching off a refresh... Am I correct in this conclusion?

At any rate, as of now the only work around I have for getting a clean refresh of the screen is simply turning off the device by holding the power switch for 5s, then turning it on again. I'd (obviously) much rather avoid power cycling like that, though.

So... is anyone able to help?

Last edited by Right Lane Cruis; 12-11-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Right Lane Cruis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #438
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
use Alt-B for the screen refresh when a book is open.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #439
Right Lane Cruis

I hadn't thought of that -- it will definitely have less ghosting than the menu drop down.

I take it you've seen the issue as well, then?

Any other suggestions for regaining the original functionality?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #440
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

well the original functionality is there. Only you have to press Alt-B instead of Alt-G.
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #441
Right Lane Cruis

I thought Alt-B was for bookmarking and toggles a little triangle at the upper right of the screen?
Old 12-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #442
reprep
Addict

My bad. You are right. I guess there is nothing to replace that functionality. You can use Alt-B if you don't mind bookmarking or simply press the menu button to refresh.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #443
Right Lane Cruis

No problem -- you did at least remind me there was another option available.

Does any developer have any ideas about why this functionality disappeared? Is there some DX specific key mapping required to get this to work?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #444
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 2
Has anyone enabled active content on Kindle 2 int?
The script just restarts my kindle and shows no dev apps.
Rockets00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #445
saucerful
saucerful began at the beginning.

Device: none
Notes for scanned PDFs

Hi I am interested in upgrading to the Kindle 3 software because I read that it supports notes and highlights for PDFs. Can someone please clarify how this actually works?

In particular, does it work on scanned (image based) pdfs? I was hoping to use it to add notes on the first page of each chapter with the title of the chapter as a sort of makeshift table of contents. I would greatly appreciate knowing whether this is possible in advance. Thanks!
saucerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #446
saucerful
saucerful began at the beginning.

Device: none
Okay I installed it. It's not perfect but an improvement over 2.5.8 except I think i have a bug:

I cannot create any new collections or add any items to existing collections. All of the relevant menu items are greyed out! Do I need to enable something somewhere? Anyone else experience this?
saucerful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #447
Right Lane Cruis

saucerful, I would check to be sure the Kindle is still registered -- you can tell if you have an issue by checking the online store and then trying to download a sample. If it tells you the device isn't registered, use the Settings screen to deregister and then re-register.

For anyone else having the issue I'm experiencing with Alt-G no longer triggering a screen refresh, I've got at least a partial work around figured out now. It doesn't work as well as the original function but seems to get me most of the results I want. I added the following to my launchpad.ini file:

G = !(echo 0) > /proc/eink_fb/update_display; echo "send 90">/proc/keypad; echo "send 90">/proc/keypad

I don't know why but the only codes that appear to work when echoed to /proc/eink_fb/update_display on my DXG running 3.2.1 are 0 and 101. The one I've seen mentioned around here that ought to have done the trick is 2... but nothing happens when I do that. I also can't seem to get any of the multargument echoes to work such as the '(echo "19 0" ; echo "18 1" ; echo "19 7") > /proc/eink_fb/update_display' string pulled from the fixflash script.

Does anyone have any further suggestions for restoring the original Alt-G behavior?

Also, slightly off topic I've noticed that the partial refresh (no flashing) approach seems to be nicely implemented in the Kindle Store when reading the Kindle Daily Post -- paging through that presentation doesn't cause any flashing and I can't detect any ghosting either. Any idea how this is implemented?

Last edited by Right Lane Cruis; 12-18-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #448
Right Lane Cruis

Here's one that seems to work even better, but I've given up entirely on the update_display device:

FW_Press = !echo "send 139">/proc/keypad; echo "send 139">/proc/keypad

This is just an extremely rapid double press of the menu button. Done very quickly like this the menu itself never gets drawn so there is no ghosting. Unless someone has a better mechanism I think this is probably my final solution.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #449
maniux
maniux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
version 3.2.1 is working perfect on my DXG. I used the v 1.0 pack. Thanks a lot.
Hi, I'm preparing to update my DXG to 3.2.1, so there's some questions I want to ask for help:

1. Does the new firmware consume more battery?
2. Does the wake-up process become longer than before?
3. Do you experience automatic reboot or dead often?

Thanks.
maniux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #450
reprep
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniux View Post
Hi, I'm preparing to update my DXG to 3.2.1, so there's some questions I want to ask for help:

1. Does the new firmware consume more battery?
2. Does the wake-up process become longer than before?
3. Do you experience automatic reboot or dead often?

Thanks.
1. No, it might even last longer. Though i accept it is very hard to judge the battery life on e-ink devices in different circumstances as they last a long time.
2. Yes.
3. No.