Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sitescooper

Notices

Old 03-11-2004, 09:27 AM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Sitescooper Scoops-to-Go

Sitescooper.org offers a few sites that are scooped daily and converted into both Plucker and iSilo formats. You can simply download and install the appropriate file, no scooping required! Check it out at http://scoops.sitescooper.org/. You can find a little more information about this service at http://sitescooper.org/scoops.html.

Note also that the software that runs this automatic service is available for download as well. You can install it on your webserver (most will run perl) and modify it to work on whichever sites you like. It could be your own private (or public) scoop download center.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Nice thanks!!! **** they don't have New York Times
Old 03-11-2004, 11:22 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Well time for us then to make a NYT scoop
Old 03-11-2004, 11:52 AM   #4
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Well time for us then to make a NYT scoop
Yah, I want to make one. NYT has an Avantgo page (only reason that I keep Avantgo now) but it's locked up and only Avantgo servers can get to it, I reckon. It seems daunting to look at, but if we keep a narrow focus I think it could be done.

Alex, while we're on this topic, what do you think about the possibility of MobileRead providing a limited selection of ready-made scoops? Once it was set up it wouldn't take much to maintain... Be glad to help with it, though it'd have to be a little further down my learning curve...
Old 03-11-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz
Yah, I want to make one. NYT has an Avantgo page (only reason that I keep Avantgo now) but it's locked up and only Avantgo servers can get to it, I reckon. It seems daunting to look at, but if we keep a narrow focus I think it could be done.
True, perhaps it is easier if we try to scoop the print-version of NYT.

Quote:
...the possibility of MobileRead providing a limited selection of ready-made scoops? Once it was set up it wouldn't take much to maintain...
You mean the already converted scoops? It would be possible to run a cronjob which automatically runs Sitescooper and puts the converted .pdb files on the server ready for download. The big issue, however, is copyright protection. I don't think we'd be legally allowed to make those files downloadable. On the other hand, to store the .site files should be legally fine.

Tell me what you think!

Alex
Old 03-11-2004, 01:28 PM   #6
ignatz
mechanoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
I don't think we'd be legally allowed to make those files downloadable.
Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. (I try not to think too hard about copyright issues. ) Ah well. I'll be working on a the beginnings of an NYT site file hopefully this weekend. I'll let you know...

Last edited by ignatz; 03-11-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:47 PM   #7
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Keep me updated please.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:54 PM   #8
ignatz
mechanoholic

Check out this thread in the New Links section. Finding the RSS feeds has dramatically simplified things. Betcha I can have a few reasonable site files by the weekend...