Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #481
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Annoying for me,...since I always get the "dud" 1st version. So the only way to get it is sideload or factory reset?

Oh well, I'm patient enough to wait for the next upgrade...
Pretty much yes. Given that it is supposed to be so minor a change that a version number change wasn't needed, sideloading would seem to be the best way to go.

Easier than getting it by nuking the database and doing a factory reset.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #482
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
(Or taking a full copy of the drive letter when the kobo is attached; then a reset and a restore of the mounted drive).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #483
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The number of blank lines at the bottom of the page can be reduced by adding

Code:
widows:  0;
orphans: 0;
to the stylesheet for the ebook. Either Sigil or Calibre can do this. Without this setting, the Adobe ARM renderer will use a default of 2 (unless you get a version that been set for 3) for both those values. Without these settings, a paragraph that would leave 1 or 2 lines at the bottom of a page (orphans) would be moved to the next page leaving blank lines and a paragraph that would leave 1 or 2 lines at the start of the next page (widows) will have enough lines moved to the next page to leave 3 or more at the top of the page, again leaving blank lines at the bottom of the previous page.

See the following links for a bit more information:

MobileRead: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133042

Orphans: http://xhtml.com/en/css/reference/orphans/

Widows: http://xhtml.com/en/css/reference/widows/

Regards,
David
I don't know if the following is a problem with widows/orphans or some other rendering issue, but clearly there's a problem. The second shot is with a slightly smaller font than the first, showing that there's a decent chunk of the next paragraph that could've been rendered on the mostly blank page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo 1.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	107240   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo 2.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	107241  
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #484
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
I don't know if the following is a problem with widows/orphans or some other rendering issue, but clearly there's a problem. The second shot is with a slightly smaller font than the first, showing that there's a decent chunk of the next paragraph that could've been rendered on the mostly blank page.
There is a bug unrelated to the widows/orphans settings where a long paragraph gets broken at pretty random looking spots. It's been around for quite a while. With each new firmware version, I crank up a couple of books and the $%^&*( pages still get mucked up. It appears to be font size, margin settings and line spacing sensitive.

Regards,
David
Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #485
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
grrrrr completely failed when downloaded the update from kobo desktop - factory reset later - and now copying all books across from ade again. best sort out my shelves again....
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #486
Hotbill
Hotbill began at the beginning.

Device: none
The french dictionnary problem is still not fixed. It's not available when you want to find a definition for a word you write by yourself. You need to find the word in the book (with some chance it's in the book) and to press on the word to get the definition.

And still no shelves in the shelves. For example it's impossible to have an author folder in the fantasy folder.
Hotbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:23 AM   #487
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Neither of those are properly "bugs." The French dictionary thing is a copyright issue, and nested shelves are a desired new feature rather than a broken existing one.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #488
vampiregrave
vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There is a bug unrelated to the widows/orphans settings where a long paragraph gets broken at pretty random looking spots. It's been around for quite a while. With each new firmware version, I crank up a couple of books and the $%^&*( pages still get mucked up. It appears to be font size, margin settings and line spacing sensitive.

Regards,
David
It is indeed an old bug. More information here.
vampiregrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #489
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
No Update to 2.6.1 for Kobo touch here have they pulled it?

duplicated post

Last edited by jackastor; 06-27-2013 at 07:32 PM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #490
ragnor
ragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: None
I think they've screwed it up.
The old home was much better than this.
C'mon! This:
http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploa...9/Kobo_Glo.jpg
is much better than this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...2&d=1370629795
And of course, is not the same as this:
http://b-i.forbesimg.com/jordanshapi...bo-aura-hd.jpg

I think the new one is not very well formated. My book covers doesn't fill the tile completely, and there are some assimetrical spaces, color is horrible...
What's wrong with this people?
ragnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #491
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnor View Post
I think they've screwed it up.
The old home was much better than this.
I think the new one is not very well formated. My book covers doesn't fill the tile completely, and there are some assimetrical spaces, color is horrible...
What's wrong with this people?
Colour is horrible? Weird and wonderful on a 16 shades of gray display. I personally prefer the new display on a Glo since it allows me to have more books visible at one time, shows any extras that I may have used lately and, except for the Dralm-damned Sync tile, you can dismiss a tile with a long press.

As for the covers, if you have properly formatted covers, there isn't an issue. If your cover images have aspect ratios that are not 3x4, they will not cover the tile. Personally, I prefer the lack of distortion. If you are really bothered, you can use Calibre to upload the covers in a format that will cover the image area by removing the checkmark on the Keep Cover Aspect ratio. Alternately, you can replace the cover image with one that has the correct aspect ratio.

As for comparing an amateurish image of your Glo to images that give every appearance of better photographic technique and likely quite a bit of digital retouching? Ever seen anything that looked as good as it did in a publicity photo? Hmmm... a touch of cynicism, David?

Regards,
David
Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #492
ragnor
ragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: None
Well, grey, white and black are also colours.

I think the new style doesn't fit with the rest of graphic interface. It's just a new copy of Windows' Metro.
Old version was more minimalistic with that black and white contrast.

Of course I'm not comparing those images: I've seen this with my eyes.
If they want to do Aura interface in my Glo I'm okay with that; but they should do a good conversion. It's obvious that it's not the same: background and tile colour, tile arrangement (small ones), for instance.
And I also have some problems with my language: total hours of reading appears with too many lines, so that tile is a mess of text.

And also the sleep screen is awful, with that big white box saying that it is on sleep mode.

So yes, in my opinion the new one is horrible. This is only an excuse to send spam to your homescreen, IMHO.

Last edited by ragnor; 07-03-2013 at 04:59 PM.
ragnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #493
BWinmill
Nameless Being

The Aura home screen is actually more similar to your Glo's home screen than the image you grabbed from their website. Not sure about the sleep / off screens though, since I have covers turned off.

Personally, I prefer the new screen for the functionality. Of course you're free to have a differing opinion and are free to use an old version of the firmware until it's fixed.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #494
Staangette
Staangette began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
New-need help with wifi!!!

Hi everyone!
I'm new here and to the ebook world, but I LOVE my Kobo glo I got for mamas day this year! It's been fantastic!

Right up until I did the update to 2.6.1 which my kobo did automatically. Now...despite all I do..auto connect...add manually...soft reset...it WILL NOT connect to wifi!!! ANY WIFI!!! Mine, work, my neighbors (she has one and tried to help!)

I don't know what to do?! Factory reset will lose my books...is there ANYTHING I can do?!?!

HELP PLEASE!!!

Thanks y'all!!!
Staangette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #495
Staangette
Staangette began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Oh! When I try to hook to my iPhone hotspot, kobo says its not connecting but my iPhone shows its running fine!!!

Help!
Staangette is offline   Reply With Quote