Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #61
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
???? I use both Android and iOS... like both, prefer iOS except on phone so pleaase enlighten as to the "pretty far behind..."
It is a given that apple do not embrace new technologies but instead wait for them to be mainstream and then add them one at at time so there is a reason for users to upgrade. For instance, LTE, larger screens and possibly NFC one day.

When it comes to customization options, well, I don't think anybody can argue that they are pretty far behind. Like 6 years behind, since, ios was introduced (you still can't change your default browser, for instance).

This is the 2nd time they introduced multi-tasking. When it was first introduced, it was heralded as "multitasking done right". If that were true, then the new multitasking can't be right, can it? Anyway, none of them are true multitasking.

apple are a hardware company, not a software one. Their software can't hold a candle android.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #62
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
apple are a hardware company, not a software one. Their software can't hold a candle android.
I don't think I can agree with that.

We may not like the philosophy Apple chooses to follow (and I don't), but they are first and foremost a consumer products company that believes in tight control and integration between hardware and software.

With a few exceptions, what they have designed their products to do, they do well thanks to a quality mix of both hardware and software.

Android has all the benefits of an open platform, but is has all the downfalls as well. There are many things that just don't work exactly right depending on exactly what is running on what hardware.

Note, I just finished listening to this, which was free on Audible a while back, so I'm feeling a little less anti-Apple than usual. That guy serves up some tasty Apple Kool-Aid.

Last edited by ApK; 06-24-2013 at 03:12 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #63
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
It is a given that apple do not embrace new technologies but instead wait for them to be mainstream and then add them one at at time so there is a reason for users to upgrade. For instance, LTE, larger screens and possibly NFC one day.

When it comes to customization options, well, I don't think anybody can argue that they are pretty far behind. Like 6 years behind, since, ios was introduced (you still can't change your default browser, for instance).

This is the 2nd time they introduced multi-tasking. When it was first introduced, it was heralded as "multitasking done right". If that were true, then the new multitasking can't be right, can it? Anyway, none of them are true multitasking.

I have to disagree... I have to put effort in with Android to get things working right but my iPads seem effortless by comparison...

I also disagree about waiting for things to mainstream when they have actually made things mainstream by waiting... iPods just for one - yes there were lots of mp3 players before iPods but they were minority (and often clunky) devices then Ipods made players mainstream much of which came from integrating iTunes into the usage - doesn't matter whether you like it or not (and I do), it helped sell iPods by making music purchase to play a seamless operation...

Last edited by elcreative; 06-24-2013 at 04:25 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #64
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:

Exactly. Another example is live tiles and widgits, which iOS still won't do. These are very useful features. Apple does still make nice hardware and there is no question their App Store is the best.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #65
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Exactly. Another example is live tiles and widgits, which iOS still won't do. These are very useful features. Apple does still make nice hardware and there is no question their App Store is the best.
And live tiles and widgets are essential why? I have widgets on my Android smartphone and tablet and I never felt the need to jump up and shout, "oh, where are my iPad widgets," just got on with using it...
Old 06-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #66
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have to disagree... I have to put effort in with Android to get things working right but my iPads seem effortless by comparison...
I don't believe I have ever run into anything taking more effort in Android unless I want to customize it or perform tasks in ways that iOS can't do at all. A lot of times the apps aren't written as well, but that's not necessarily an OS problem.

Windows RT, on the other hand, is a real PITA to set everything up on. But once it is set up it's pretty slick and has far more potential as a mobile computing platform than anything else right now. Personally I love it for my needs but hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #67
pl001
Evangelist

Quote:
And live tiles and widgets are essential why? I have widgets on my Android smartphone and tablet and I never felt the need to jump up and shout, "oh, where are my iPad widgets," just got on with using it...

I didn't say they were essential or a religious experience, I said they were very useful. Widgets much more so than Live Tiles as you can interact with them.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #68
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
I didn't say they were essential or a religious experience, I said they were very useful. Widgets much more so than Live Tiles as you can interact with them.
But you can interact with apps equally happily... I've never found using a widget felt any different to using any other app... a rose by any other name...
Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #69
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But you can interact with apps equally happily... I've never found using a widget felt any different to using any other app... a rose by any other name...
There is a significant difference. With a weather widget, I can see the forecast at a glance, without having to enter the app - time saved. With an email widget, I can read the subject and first line of the email, so I see if I need to read the rest and reply or can go back to whatever I was doing.

Yes, they are not essential, just like having phones is not essential (you can always go back to using drums to communicate, or smoke if that's what floats your boat), but they make things easier.

Edit: if proof were needed

Quote:
Reinvent the Home Screen
More than any other feature, most users (myself included) agree that the iOS home screen is in desperate need of an intervention. A lifeless grid of icons is so five years ago. It was serviceable in its day, but this is 2013 and we expect more.
Source

Interestingly enough, those are 10 features that are available on android.

Last edited by afv011; 06-24-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #70
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
You may be confusing being "behind" in technology with good choices that enhance the user experience. In the case of both LTE and multi-tasking we're talking about battery life. IMO, that was the basis of the choice and it was a good choice for many (most?) consumers.

As the power consumption of LTE went down and battery specific density went up it became more attractive (to the consumer) to place LTE in the iPhone. The jury is still out on multi-tasking. It may still be a battery hog in the next iOS. Hard to say yet.

Another choice is the non-removable battery. It allows them to fit more hardware into a smaller package. It is another trade-off choice. I could say the same about not having a memory card slot but I believe they enjoy upselling us on more built-in memory at their outrageous price (more than the benefit to the consumer).

Most of these choices are not about being "behind" in technology. They certainly may not match your priorities but they haven't been hurting Apple's profits. I agree sales growth is being stunted, partly by Samsung and Android OS. As a fan of their hardware I hope Apple responds with the next desirable bit of kit.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #71
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
There is a significant difference. With a weather widget, I can see the forecast at a glance, without having to enter the app - time saved. With an email widget, I can read the subject and first line of the email, so I see if I need to read the rest and reply or can go back to whatever I was doing.

Yes, they are not essential, just like having phones is not essential (you can always go back to using drums to communicate, or smoke if that's what floats your boat), but they make things easier.

Edit: if proof were needed

Source

Interestingly enough, those are 10 features that are available on android.
So someone agrees with you, maybe many someones... it doesn't change my viewpoint... and you've given the exact thing that makes the point for me... weather widget... on all the time, got nice update, phone locked up later, needed complete restart... locked up after a few minutes, needed complete restart... wasted yet more time on the net finding out that update was flawed and needed an update to fix, wasting more time... didn't find it a great timesaver after all that then it takes turning wi-fi on followed by at least four clicks to get to the actual data I want - takes two clicks on browser to get same info without potentially lethal updates...

As for 10 features most wanted... not by me and, anecdotally of course, not high on the list of great needs from any of half a dozen iPhone using friends and equally not high on list of must-have, must-use options from a similar number of Android phone users... still whatever floats your boat but having live icons continually doing things is going to be completely switched off on any damn device that tries to do it...

And contrary to your patronising, "you can always go back to using drums to communicate, or smoke if that's what floats your boat," not wanting something that works to be continually updated with flash style but no real content doesn't mean I don't use my Android phone and iPads for several hours a day most days...

Last edited by elcreative; 06-24-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #72
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
So someone agrees with you, maybe many someones... it doesn't change my viewpoint... and you've given the exact thing that makes the point for me... weather widget... on all the time, got nice update, phone locked up later, needed complete restart... locked up after a few minutes, needed complete restart... wasted yet more time on the net finding out that update was flawed and needed an update to fix, wasting more time... didn't find it a great timesaver after all that then it takes turning wi-fi on followed by at least four clicks to get to the actual data I want - takes two clicks on browser to get same info without potentially lethal updates...
How does 1 poorly written app affect the whole ecosystem? Exactly, it doesn't. You can't judge an ecosystem by 1 app - we're talking about what the OS offers, not what a single app offers. Android offers widgets, you don't like them, you don't use them, but at least the choice is yours and not made for you.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #73
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
having live icons continually doing things is going to be completely switched off on any damn device that tries to do it...
You obviously do not understand how widgets work, they are not "continually doing things", some have wake up periods (which are often user configurable), like weather, news, stock, ... ones, others are notification based, like email ones. Outside these wake up periods, they remain dormant and use no CPU or battery.

Yes, I can write a widget that updates itself every 30 seconds if I wanted to, but I would quickly get 1 star reviews on my app by frustrated users, so it's in the developer's benefit to properly write their apps.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #74
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
You obviously do not understand how widgets work, they are not "continually doing things", some have wake up periods (which are often user configurable), like weather, news, stock, ... ones, others are notification based, like email ones. Outside these wake up periods, they remain dormant and use no CPU or battery.

Yes, I can write a widget that updates itself every 30 seconds if I wanted to, but I would quickly get 1 star reviews on my app by frustrated users, so it's in the developer's benefit to properly write their apps.
Don't put your interpretation on my words or your ideas about my level of computer knowledge... also the quote you used refers to LIVE ICONS not widgets... and so far I haven't seen any that I want doing their "live updating" with any value to me so, as I said, they'll be completely switched off if any end up on any device I use... you may love such triumphs of style over needs but I don't. I also don't build a life round doing things for computers/tablets/phones, they're supposed to build their activities around what I want to use these generic tools for - work and some entertainment...
Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #75
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
also the quote you used refers to LIVE ICONS not widgets... and so far I haven't seen any that I want doing their "live updating" with any value to me so, as I said, they'll be completely switched off if any end up on any device I use...
What live icons are there in iOS 7 other than the calendar and the clock? Are you actually able to switch off the automatic updating?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote