Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Backdraft
Backdraft began at the beginning.

Device: Android + Aldiko
Does the Calibre folder unique id matter?

Hi,

So I recently may have messed up part of my Calibre library by inadvertantly adding books to it outside of Calibre, but everything seems to be back to normal. However it seems that the unique id # for each book folder (ie. in Author/Book Title (#)/Book Title - Author.epub) may have been changed, although I'm not exactly sure yet.

My question is, does the value of the unique id # matter much at this point, or should I start with a fresh library (ie. create empty library, go through time-consuming process of adding books, looking up metadata, etc.). Frankly I've had no problems yet but was wondering whether it may cause problems in the future, ie. adding more books through Calibre.

Thanks.
Backdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdraft View Post
Hi,

So I recently may have messed up part of my Calibre library by inadvertantly adding books to it outside of Calibre, but everything seems to be back to normal. However it seems that the unique id # for each book folder (ie. in Author/Book Title (#)/Book Title - Author.epub) may have been changed, although I'm not exactly sure yet.

My question is, does the value of the unique id # matter much at this point, or should I start with a fresh library (ie. create empty library, go through time-consuming process of adding books, looking up metadata, etc.). Frankly I've had no problems yet but was wondering whether it may cause problems in the future, ie. adding more books through Calibre.

Thanks.

Book ID is the number Calibre associates internally with your book(s) line item in the Library list (there may be more than 1 format for that line item .

If you only changed the number, Rebuild may be a option (wait for Kovid to confirm)
Then you could run the Verify to identify the "Extra titles" and move each them out to a safe location until the Library tests 'clean'.
Then import them the correct way
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Backdraft

The only thing I noticed is that the lower # unique ids (ie. (1), (2), (3)) have disappeared, and all my folder titles are at least triple-digits. I guess on the safe side I'll recreate a new library and import all my books to there.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you changed any part of a folder name, calibre will lose track of the books in that folder. Use the Check library functionality to locate such books.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The only thing I noticed is that the lower # unique ids (ie. (1), (2), (3)) have disappeared, and all my folder titles are at least triple-digits. I guess on the safe side I'll recreate a new library and import all my books to there.
Don't worry About what number Calibre assigned.
If you changed something in the GUI, Calibre may assign a new number. Numbers are never re-used once abandoned. There will be gaps over time. as long as the Library passes the Integrity checks, you are good to go.

See Kovid's response. This is his baby
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #6
Backdraft

Well I did the "Check library" under Library Maintenance, and the database integrity checked out OK, and the files in my library matched that of the database.

So I suppose nothing is amiss?

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Well I did the "Check library" under Library Maintenance, and the database integrity checked out OK, and the files in my library matched that of the database.

So I suppose nothing is amiss?

Thanks.
We have a Winner

Happy