Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 01-19-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
GertNL01
GertNL01 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Question Viewer takes ages to load books

When looking for a book to read, I used to open book after book, reading a few lines, checking the index, etc.
After version 3.48 that is no longer possible. The least I can call it is annoying, because it always takes up to 10 seconds or more to load a new book.
Also when editing, I often save the changes, open the book, and check the changes made. When that takes more than say 2 seconds, it is irritating.

Is it possible to download and use the previous viewer somewhere, without de-installing the current installation?
GertNL01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Install that 3.xx PORTABLE on a thumb drive. (you can only install 1 version of Calibre on your PC)
Or install a 3rd party viewer and remove (preferences; behavior)the tick for the format under Use Internal Viewer
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Install that 3.xx PORTABLE on a thumb drive. (you can only install 1 version of Calibre on your PC)
I've got multiple installs on my windows PC with no issues; 32 and 64 bit plus different versions of portable.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:56 AM   #4
SandFish
SandFish began at the beginning.

Device: tolino vision 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GertNL01 View Post
When looking for a book to read, I used to open book after book, reading a few lines, checking the index, etc.
After version 3.48 that is no longer possible. The least I can call it is annoying, because it always takes up to 10 seconds or more to load a new book.
Also when editing, I often save the changes, open the book, and check the changes made. When that takes more than say 2 seconds, it is irritating.

Is it possible to download and use the previous viewer somewhere, without de-installing the current installation?
I absolutely agree with you!!
First of all, the contents are present but -- if you jump on it to, say, have quick look at the copyright, the process brakes down with an error message.
Not nice!
SandFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #5
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
The Calibre viewer does a lot of caching as it opens books. After opening several hundred books, it gets very slow. I've found if I delete the cache it speeds right back up again. (The cache is at ~/home/.cache/calibre/ev2/ on my Ubuntu box.)
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Calibre 3.48 may no longer work if the database is in the new Calibre 5 format. So if you've used Calibre 5, forget Calibre 3.48 and just learn to deal with the wait time for the eBook to open.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:07 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Calibre 3.48 may no longer work if the database is in the new Calibre 5 format. So if you've used Calibre 5, forget Calibre 3.48 and just learn to deal with the wait time for the eBook to open.
The viewer works just fine. I use the viewer of 3.48 for the same reason as the OP would. I have no time to wait when checking 100 or more books in quick succession.

The library database is not associated with 3.48. Only the viewer gets used.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edit books, reader, viewer