Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #16
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLV View Post
All my books are loaded on a 4GB SD card via Calibre, I dont see the point using the main memory for storage.
I'm really curious as to why you don't see the point. I thought the battery drains faster when using the memory cards.

Last edited by Fortissimo; 02-04-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Typo
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #17
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Yes, it is supposed to but it depends on the effect of faster... I have a 16GB card with nearly 7GB on it, I read every day for between 2-6 hours and charge every 7-10 days... I suppose I may reduce the charge cycle to every 10-14 days, who cares, it's neither here nor there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
I'm relly curious as to why you don't see the point. I thought the battery drains faster when using the memory cards.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #18
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Try turning your wifi/3g off also.
I have had my prs950 freeze when trying to connect, especially on slow connections. It can hang 10+ seconds trying to connect, but if it fails, it will keep trying over and over.

Otherwise, I have had no freezes.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:33 AM   #19
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
In the past, my PRS-650 has been very solid, with no spooky lockups at all, even with about 1250 books now loaded.

About 3 days back, I went to open a book from the main screen, and accidentally did a stutter-tap (tapped the screen, then inadvertently laid my finger back down on the screen almost immediately, causing a second tap)

The 650 seemed to freeze up, so after about half a minute I cycled the power down manually and rebooted, and it came up and restarted fine, with no lost notes or other problems.

So I do think there is some sort of minor issue that can happen if you cause a second input on the home library screen while it is just starting to open your initial selection.

Like that old vaudeville joke goes - guy says to his doctor "doc, it hurts when I do this" and the doctor replies "then don't to that!"

This is apparently just one of those "don't to that" things.

As far as certain PDFs locking up the 350/650/950, I don't doubt that this can happen. Time was when a powerful CPU with 256 megs of memory, driving a tiny 800x600 screen, would have been a no brainer for something as simple as running Adobe Acrobat.

These days, it's barely enough to boot up and run, thanks to software bloat caused by hack programmers who just want to slap together a bunch of freebie library code. I've seen a moron import 50 megs of graphic libraries, to strip something out of a JPG header that could be done in about 12 lines of 'C' code.

How well would your PC run these days with a 2 Gig hard drive and 256 megs of memory - Answer, not very well unless you go shopping for a stripped down lightweight Linux OS (which is exactly what they DO use on virtually all these portable book readers).

Unfortunately, with todays bloated software, a PDF reader on a bookreader that only has a few hundred megs of Flash Drive and RAM space available is going to have some compromises.

Sad, really sad. My ancient 10 plus year old laptop with Windowz 98 and 128 Megs of Ram runs Adobe Reader 5 flawlessly, and will load up HUGE scanned PDFs without even breathing hard.

I have high hopes though for the NEXT generation of readers based on Google's Android OS.

In Android, nearly all Apps are written in the same high level Java like language, using a common set of operating system provided libraries and a common system API, which should finally start to reign in some of the software BLOAT and allow the creation of more reliable less buggy systems.

Sorry to drift a little off topic and wax philosophical, but I wanted you to understand that, when it comes to reading PDF's on the 650, there are some technical issues that require you think of it a little like the case of a "dog walking on it's hind legs" - i.e. the wonder is not how well it's done, but that it can be done at all.

The 'About' screen on the 650 credits it as using 'Adobe Reader Mobile'. So Sony did the best they could by paying for officially licensed code from Adobe. I'm not sure if that's the case with the Nook or Kindle, but I can say that, having seen all three devices, the Sony does do a slightly better job of 'walking on it's hind legs' then the other two.

Last edited by delphin; 02-05-2011 at 06:55 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:43 AM   #20
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
I'm really curious as to why you don't see the point. I thought the battery drains faster when using the memory cards.
NIME.

Battery drain depends on how you use your ereader, and Sony say leaving it on standby with a memory card installed may drain the battery slightly faster.

[with 4GB SD card installed and all books loaded on card]
Leaving it on standby between reading sessions I get 12 - 14 days usage between charges, battery down to 1 or 2 bars.

Powering it off between reading sessions and I get from 25 - 34 days between charges, battery down to 1 or 2 bars.

The SD card currently has 689 books, all epub files.

YMMV

See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...97#post1305297
MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert