Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Library PDF - ePub Conflict

Hiya!

I'm aware of the ongoing PDF-ePub conflict when you have library borrowed items on the device but do you know that it causes the same Page Protected Error even when not? I didn't!

I had a library ePub on my reader and got notice that 2 more books I was waiting for were available. One was a PDF and one was an ePub. I connected my reader to my computer and downloaded both new library books to my computer but only downloaded the ePub on my reader so I'd have the 2 library ePubs on my reader and the library PDF only on my PC. That way I thought I'd avoid the conflict and I could read the PDF on my computer.

Well, apparently not. I tried reading my library ePub on my reader and still got the darn Page Protected Error. Did you guys know that? I didn't. I deleted the library books from my reader and PC, downloaded only the library ePubs to the PC & reader while the reader was connected, disconnected the reader from the PC and then downloaded the library PDF to the computer and it all works fine again.

I thought I was being smart and avoiding the hassle by simply not putting the two on the reader itself while still being able to enjoy both formats but it seems that's not the case. Darn! Now I think I'm going to have to wait until I finish my library ePubs before I can connect my reader to my PC or I'll get the error again.

Anyone have any news as to when this issue is going to be fixed or if it ever will be?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Never

Sony fixed it for the 900 and all models going forward (a 350 could have a dozen DRM's of each type and would open fine), and has zero intention of going back to "update" previous devices. Getting rid of that mess was a factor in my getting a 650 as soon it was released, even though I hadn't had a 505 all that long!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh really! I didn't think they had fixed it for the 350 release but they have?? Oh well, heck then! I'm bugging the hubby for the new one and will deal with my touch screen issues! I find it utterly annoying!

For some reason I thought it was only fixed on the 900/950 but not the others like the 650 and 350.

Hubby is so not going to be impressed with me but that's a very big selling point for me. LOL

Thank you so very much for that info!!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Unfortunately, never is probably true. They don't typically support updates to their older models. User inconvenience is not really an incentive. I also noticed recently that Sony has added a warning about the conflict to their FAQs regarding library books. Before you got the error and had to go to a forum like MobileRead to figure out the problem.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
One of the first things I did with my 650 was to download a library book of each type, and go back and forth between them mumbling "It really works!"

Another plus for the 350 is that with PDF books, the "margin cut" feature really helps with Small size readability, saving the formatting; it helps with Epub books, too, depending on the font (Medium is often too big).

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 02-10-2011 at 12:37 PM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
You can also change the brightness and contrast on the new models which also help with PDFs. There's your silver lining, Shopaholic. The library conflict is annoying, but now you have some more reasons to justify a new ereader with your hubby (LOL). The 350 is on sale for $129 in the US through Valentine's Day.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

I know, I know!! I'm going to the US today actually. Alone. No Hubby to say NO!!!

Aaaaaaah!! The temptation is killing me!! LOL But I want a pink one. I know I can buy the silver one and come home and switch it here for the pink one though. hehehehe I'm bad!!

And honey, it's lighter too which is better for my wrist/hands/fingers. (which really is true but he'd just roll his eyes at me) LOL
Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Being able to have both library book formats is one of my favorite things about the 950. I also really like the extra screen real estate for the horrible PDF conversions.... I can finally read at a comfortable font size without having just one or two lines on the next page as I did with my 300.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote