Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #16
Corinne
Enthusiast
Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
...I'm going to try out the Kindle Previewer first and Adobe editions. I just downloaded them. I may be close to listing my first book on Amazon.

The table of contents went well, I might add. I was quite pleased!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #17
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
No Ruben. My manuscript is a Word Doc.x. No PDF.
It's very rare. If your .docx has all page numbers removed, then, that is no the cause. Does your .docx have a table with numbers or some kind of paragraph with numbers? Maybe is an error originated by the conversion. It's not easy to detect the cause of your issue without seeing your manuscript (the portion where the numbers appear).

Quote:
Thanks for the help! I'm going to look into getting a reader that I can add apps too for both epub and Mobi. This way I can actually see how they will read on an actual reading device...
You are welcome. And regarding a reader, well, with a smartphone (or a tablet) you can deal with .epub and .mobi. For example, a good reader that supports quite well ADE (to test your epub) is PocketBook:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...y.reader&hl=en

And to test .mobi and .kfx files you can install the Kindle app for Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....amazon.kindle
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #18
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Thanks for the help! I'm going to look into getting a reader that I can add apps too for both epub and Mobi. This way I can actually see how they will read on an actual reading device...
Fair warning: Apps on a device do not equal a device itself.

eg. You may get a close approximation by looking at a book using the kindle app on an iphone, but that does not mean it will look the same as an actual kindle. It may be OK, or it may be WAY off.

The only way to get an exact idea of how it looks/performs is testing with the target device(s) and app(s).

Last edited by Turtle91; 06-20-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #19
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...I'm going to try out the Kindle Previewer first and Adobe editions. I just downloaded them.
Yes, do that. But also test your files with readers.

Quote:
I may be close to listing my first book on Amazon.
The table of contents went well, I might add. I was quite pleased!
Well done!
Old 06-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
[. . .]

All page numbers were removed prior. They don't show up in my manuscript, only after conversion...
@Corinne - Have you done a Find in Word looking for '34'?

Up until recently I was doing a lot of DOCX->EPUB calibre conversions using the default settings, afaik calibre ignores any page footers (and page headers), which is where I put page numbers.

Have you tried converting the DOCX to EPUB by means other than calibre conversion. The Sigil editor has a DOCX Import plugin, the calibre EPUB editor has DOCX Import feature, there's also the e-Book Tools Word add-in, among other things it can create an EPUB from within Word itself.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #21
Corinne
Enthusiast
Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Corinne once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I apologize, but it seems my most recent posts from yesterday are missing. I used the Kindle Previewer and found out about enhanced typesetting. I'll download the plugin.

I'm going to eliminate the space in between paragraphs and indent. Perhaps that will somehow eliminate the random numbers showing up!

Thanks again for your patience Ruben and kind regards.

Corinne

Last edited by Corinne; 06-21-2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Found them!
Old 06-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #22
Corinne
Enthusiast

Sorry, I didn't realize I was on a new page. (I think! Using my phone...)

Thanks everyone! I'll heed the helpful suggestions!

Kind regards,

Corinne.

Last edited by Corinne; 06-21-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #23
Corinne
Enthusiast

I spoke too soon. Did well with the manual Toc in epub, but like so many, lost it when converting to mobi. I've read that this question has been answered several times already, however, I still do not understand the answer. As slow as I may be, as this is a new language for me personally, I'm still determined. I've read the manual. I prefer doing the Toc manually. In the instructions, it says to go to preferences - toolbars and menus - select the main toolbar, select edit Toc and apply the changes. I do exactly that, however, it won't let me apply the change. Only the discard tab is clickable, not the apply button.

Thanks again for the patience...

Kind regards,

Corinne.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #24
Corinne
Enthusiast

..I found 'preferences.' The reason I was unable to find it was due to the very simple reason that I wasn't aware that all I needed to do was to expand the Caliber 'interface' or Calibre window or application! Once I did that, a whole new world opened up. It will no doubt be the same once I finally grasp the table of contents. I look forward to it..

Thanks again...

Last edited by Corinne; 06-21-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #25
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
I spoke too soon. Did well with the manual Toc in epub, but like so many, lost it when converting to mobi.
Corinne, you're working in Calibre and are trying to convert the .epub to .mobi (also in Calibre). You must know that the TOC in .epub is not the same in .mobi. An .epub with TOC doesn't imply a .mobi with TOC. In order that the .mobi ebook is with a TOC, you MUST enable some options in Calibre in the conversion dialog. Watch the following picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	394
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	164599

Another option for you is to open your .epub in Sigil, and then to create (with Sigil) a .xhtml TOC file. Watch the following screenshot:

Name:	Image2.png
Views:	291
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	164600

In that screenshot you can see that the .epub is already with a TOC (in the pane to the right) but THAT TOC doesn't work in .mobi. So, you need to create a .xhtml TOC like this (with the command indicated in the previous image):

Name:	Image3.png
Views:	259
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	164601

In the picture you can see both, the .epub TOC and the .xhtml TOC. Once you have generated the TOC and saved the .epub, you can convert it in .mobi with Calibre (or Kindle Previewer, or Kindlegen) and that ebook will have a TOC.

Regards
Rubén
Old 06-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #26
Corinne
Enthusiast

God bless you Ruben. That I understand. Being completely new at this I had no idea I was to highlight the table of contents. Also, I thought that everything would convert over to mobi, including the TOC. Now I know. I guess I was hooked on doing it manually. I'm content to stick with Calibre, and once again I thank you kindly for your patience..

The reason I was unable to locate 'Preferences,' earlier, was because my screen only opened as far as 'Save to Disc.' I was reading 'to locate preferences, look to the far upper right of the toolbar.' But all I saw was Save to Disc. I thought I was truly nuts! Or, I had the wrong version of Calibre. I had no idea it opened further. By a fluke, I opened it further.

Last edited by Corinne; 06-22-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #27
Corinne
Enthusiast

On the other hand, great news! As I was eliminating the space in-between paragraphs in my Word Manuscript, page numbers popped up out of no where. They must have been hidden in the middle of the pages. So, I shrunk my manuscript text all the way and found a couple more and deleted them! I'm happy to share that there are no more numbers showing up in blank spaces. You, and the other gentlemen, were right.

Thank you ....!

Last edited by Corinne; 06-22-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Corinne - fyi, to locate digits in a Word document enter ^# in the 'Find what' box.

It's one the checks I make when I've 'completed' a document; a) to look for unwanted digits, and b) to check numbers for typo's - e.g 2117 instead of 2017.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #29
Corinne
Enthusiast

That's a good idea! You never know what's going to come out of hiding. . I will use it. 'Find' is a great tool.

I have a humble Public Facebook page where I share the books I'm currently working on. No 'likes' or requests required.

Corinne.Kramer.988 @ Facebook...

Kind regards and thanks again...
Old 06-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #30
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
That's a good idea! You never know what's going to come out of hiding. . I will use it. 'Find' is a great tool.

I have a humble Public Facebook page where I share the books I'm currently working on. No 'likes' or requests required.

Corinne.Kramer.988 @ Facebook...

Kind regards and thanks again...
Hi Corinne;

Since you are building your ebooks from Word, and also you want to convert them not only in .epub but in .mobi too, maybe the following link can be useful for you:

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200645680

I apologize if you have already read that page

Rubén