Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #271
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Because that site never gets anything right. Avoid it.
Oh goodereader gets it right sometimes — even a broken clock is right twice a day. But, seriously, sometimes goodereader steals from the right sources.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #272
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
I was in Walmart this morning and saw the "ads" they have as you walk into the store had one with what looked like an ereader and a phone with a "Walmart Books" app open on it.
Maybe I'll head down to the local Walmart and see if there are any eReader-shaped spaces in the Electronics Department.
Advert
Old 08-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #273
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
I was in Walmart this morning and saw the "ads" they have as you walk into the store had one with what looked like an ereader and a phone with a "Walmart Books" app open on it.
They were setting up a display at a Walmart near me. I've posted a picture of it (what there was up so far) in the Walmart thread in the Kobo forum.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-21-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: replaced "sitting" with "setting" ... ugh.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:33 AM   #274
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Okay, I went back to the one Walmart that has the eBook display so far (I had to pick my kid up from work). Two other nearby Walmarts didn't have anything set up yet ... so I'm guessing this is going to be a staged roll-out.

There's clamps to hold two eReaders, so you will be able to try them out in the store (no Aura on display yet). The two card slots for the Readers are currently just Auras. The price is $99 and it looks like that's not a sale price. So that means if they go on sale they might be pretty cheap. There's also a hanger spot (I've been saying "slot") for a $30 case.

There are slots for a little over 60 eBook and/or Audiobook title cards. Prices currently ranged from $2.99 to $26.99. A lot of duplicate titles at this point. There's also 18 slots for the gift cards ... eBook gift cards come in increments of $10, $25 and $50. Audiobook subscriptions come in increments of about (a little less) $30, $60 and $120, for three month, six month and one year subscriptions. There's also some kind of Audiobook "Extra" card. Not sure what it's for. Under the "holder" where the actual Auras will be displayed there's a label that describes the features of the Aura and then, underneath, it says "Check out our full line of eReaders on Walmart.com/Ebooks.

I guess that's about it. I've got some pictures I might add in the morning (if there's any interest).

EDIT: Looking at the pictures, it appears the clamp on the right is bigger than the one on the left. So maybe they are going to display something else there (maybe just a random tablet, because the label under this side's clamp said something about the Walmart eBook apps — if you zoom in you can read the label).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_235847.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	165747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_235857.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	715.5 KB
ID:	165748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_235951.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	780.7 KB
ID:	165749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180821_000225.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	165751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_235917.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	749.5 KB
ID:	165752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_235932.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	825.8 KB
ID:	165753   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_235902.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	761.6 KB
ID:	165754  

Last edited by rcentros; 08-21-2018 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 08-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #275
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Thanks rcentros , looks like Walmart will have the kobos soon.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #276
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Thanks rcentros , looks like Walmart will have the kobos soon.
I thought it would be all up and running by now. Looks like this particular store is a "front runner." This Walmart is in North Richland Hills, TX, by the way – in case someone lives in this area.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #277
btsao
btsao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, kobo, nook
Has anyone checked out the Walmart/overdrive site? Interesting...

https://walmart.overdrive.com/
btsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #278
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsao View Post

It wouldn't change my life much, but if Walmart is only selling the Aura 2 and they are flogging Overdrive, it would be cool if Kobo brought the direct Overdrive lending from the Aura ONE to the Aura 2 and maybe all other models as well.

It would make a good first impression.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #279
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It wouldn't change my life much, but if Walmart is only selling the Aura 2 and they are flogging Overdrive, it would be cool if Kobo brought the direct Overdrive lending from the Aura ONE to the Aura 2 and maybe all other models as well.

It would make a good first impression.
It's been done! — well, not for the original Aura, but for all the current models. Check out the Kobo 4.10 firmware thread.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #280
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It's been done! — well, not for the original Aura, but for all the current models. Check out the Kobo 4.10 firmware thread.
Shows how on the ball I am

I tend to only update the firmware when something goes wrong. Then again, I own an original Aura, so I guess I wouldn't see it anyway.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #281
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

First Kobo now showing up on Walmart ... clicking the title doesn't take you to page where you can actually buy it, though.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_...hProductResult
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clara.png
Views:	285
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	165776  
Old 08-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #282
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsao View Post

it's a corporate library
https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...ith-overdrive/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:32 PM   #283
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Shows how on the ball I am

I tend to only update the firmware when something goes wrong. Then again, I own an original Aura, so I guess I wouldn't see it anyway.
Well, I think we can excuse you this time as the news hit probably 20 minutes before you posted. (I might be exaggerating a bit.)
Old 08-22-2018, 03:15 AM   #284
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Well, I guess it's only going to be 1,000 stores that have Kobo displays ... (there will be 3,500 that offer book cards).

Quote:
Access to Kobo’s eReaders online and in-store – Starting today, customers can choose from a variety of Kobo eReaders on Walmart.com. In 1,000 stores, we will offer the Kobo Aura starting later this week.
https://news.walmart.com/2018/08/22/...iption-for-999

But at least you can get free 2 day shipping (or store pickup) so it's not terrible.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-22-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:00 AM   #285
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I don't want another one now, but I'm happy I probably won't have to order from Canada anymore. I see they have all the current models and the Kobo covers.

https://www.walmart.com/cp/kobo-erea...sories/3252253

Anybody have any experience with buying stuff from Walmart's website?
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote