Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
evergreen
evergreen began at the beginning.

Device: iPad2
Issues sideloading AZK to Kindle for iOS

I've used Kindle Preview to generate azk files to sideload to Kindle for iPad. I've been doing this for a couple years now and only recently began having issues. I can still sideload some files, but there are two files that just refuse to sideload. When I try, the app crashes and won't allow me to open pre-existing Kindle for iOS content until I restart the iPad.

Amazon support has been unhelpful and Apple support is as befuddled as I am. I have un- and re-installed Kindle Preview and the Kindle for iOS app, and I have restored my iPad to factory settings, but I just cannot get to the root of the issue.

The folks I contract with have been able to successfully sideload these files. I've run out of troubleshooting ideas and am looking for suggestions.

Thanks!
evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
I've run out of troubleshooting ideas and am looking for suggestions.
It sound like something in your content is triggering a bug in the Kindle app. Since others do not see the same problem it likely depends on additional factors such as iOS version, app version, or possibly other documents in the app's library.

I would suggest removing content a piece at a time from a document that fails and side loading that to try to narrow down what content or formatting within the document triggers the crash. This will likely take a lot of attempts and may not be fruitful if there is a combination of triggers.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2015, 02:06 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@evergreen: Have a look at this post. According to mattmc, you might not be able to sideload an AZK file if the .opf file of the source epub contains the invisible Unicode characters, U+2028 and/or U+2029 (line separator/paragraph separator.)
If the source epub is not an epub3 file, try opening and resaving it with Sigil before converting it with Kindle Previewer. (This'll rewrite the .opf file.)
Alternatively, open the .opf file with a hex editor and search for the hex strings 2028 and 2029 and replace them with 2020 (regular space).
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
evergreen

Thank you jhowell and Doitsu for the suggestions.

I think the issue is with my iTunes. I've swapped azk files with someone else and they're able to sideload the files I generated while I cannot sideload the files they've generated. I'm going to try a fresh install of iTunes (was really hoping not to have to do that).
Old 01-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #5
evergreen

Follow-up

Still have not managed to resolve the sideloading issue with my iPad2. Recently upgraded a phone and received an iPad mini as part of a promotion. The same AZK files that will not sideload to the iPad2 do successfully load to the iPad mini. Still a mystery, but at least I am able to proof the files now.
Advert