Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Haggard, H Rider: Child Of Storm. V1. 2 Sep 2012

Sir Henry Rider Haggard, KBE (22 June 1856 – 14 May 1925) was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and a founder of the Lost World literary genre. He was also involved in agricultural reform around the British Empire. His stories, situated at the lighter end of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential.

Excerpt
Mr. Allan Quatermain's story of the wicked and fascinating Mameena, a kind of Zulu Helen, has, it should be stated, a broad foundation in historical fact. Leaving Mameena and her wiles on one side, the tale of the struggle between the Princes Cetewayo and Umbelazi for succession to the throne of Zululand is true.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: epub Child Of Storm.epub (596.6 KB, 655 views)
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Charlie,

Are the three H Rider Haggard stories you just published updates to the versions in your wonderful Anthology volumes? If so, are there any plans to incorporate them into the Anthology volumes?
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I wasn't aware that Charlie had done any Haggard Anthology volumes. It was me who did the 16-volume Haggard anthologies. This (and other) books in my volumes are fully proof-read; Charlie's are not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Charlie, I appreciate all the hard work you do in producing the huge number of books you put out.

I don't want to stop you from doing this, but when there are already versions of the book already on this site in a particular format, what benefit if there in adding a second version?

Have you been adding something new? If so what is it? Otherwise I don't understand your reasoning for putting it out.

This book is an example of that, Harry's already put out the Haggard books and they are fully proof-read and in excellent order. So what would make me want you download your version over Harry's?
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
I prefer individual books over omnibus or anthology collections. My reason to say Thank You, crutledge.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMole View Post
I prefer individual books over omnibus or anthology collections. My reason to say Thank You, crutledge.
I totally agree.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The versions that HarryT putout are proofed. So why not just use ePupSplit (Calibre plugin) to create individual eBooks from the Omnibus editions?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The versions that HarryT putout are proofed. So why not just use ePupSplit (Calibre plugin) to create individual eBooks from the Omnibus editions?
I obviously don't know the meaning of "proofed." I have talked to some of the original producers and proofing has been done, in some cases by multiple persons. Differences occur when the original scans are converted with a "scan to text" tool. The scans are photographs of the original pages. The scans are compared to the text conversion and the text is corrected.

I also locate the original scans and extract the original illustrations to include in the ebook. These images are cleamed up and properly sized.This is especially lacking in PG and PGAus books. I also extract the original "Title Page" and use it.

I have not sought out the original printed versions to check the scanned version. Spell checks show up mostly variations in spelling and dialog. These same variations show in the scans of the documents. I do not change these. In addition, there is no ensurance that the print edition is absolutely correct and the scans were made of the original.

I do make a search of MR using https://www.mobileread.com/forums/search.php for author and title. If it comes up empy then I proceed.

Over time, I have gathered and/or developed a set of tools which allows me to handle these books rapidly. I do not expect the reader to have to do anything but download and enjoy the book. Calibre and its operation may be beyond hie/her knowledge.

I have told Harry before and I will repeat it now.

HARRY, YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO DELETE ANY EBOOK POSTED BY ME THAT YOU FEEL REPEATS ANY EBOOK YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY POSTED.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I obviously don't know the meaning of "proofed." I have talked to some of the original producers and proofing has been done, in some cases by multiple persons. Differences occur when the original scans are converted with a "scan to text" tool. The scans are photographs of the original pages. The scans are compared to the text conversion and the text is corrected.

I also locate the original scans and extract the original illustrations to include in the ebook. These images are cleamed up and properly sized.This is especially lacking in PG and PGAus books. I also extract the original "Title Page" and use it.

I have not sought out the original printed versions to check the scanned version. Spell checks show up mostly variations in spelling and dialog. These same variations show in the scans of the documents. I do not change these. In addition, there is no ensurance that the print edition is absolutely correct and the scans were made of the original.

I do make a search of MR using https://www.mobileread.com/forums/search.php for author and title. If it comes up empy then I proceed.

Over time, I have gathered and/or developed a set of tools which allows me to handle these books rapidly. I do not expect the reader to have to do anything but download and enjoy the book. Calibre and its operation may be beyond hie/her knowledge.

I have told Harry before and I will repeat it now.

HARRY, YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO DELETE ANY EBOOK POSTED BY ME THAT YOU FEEL REPEATS ANY EBOOK YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY POSTED.
Thank you very much for the explanation, I now have a better understanding of what you do.

I wasn't trying to be negative towards your books, I just wanted to better understand why you produced the duplicate books.

I'm sorry if I caused any offence, none was intended.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wasn't aware that Charlie had done any Haggard Anthology volumes. It was me who did the 16-volume Haggard anthologies. This (and other) books in my volumes are fully proof-read; Charlie's are not.
My apologies Harry ... managed to confuse myself on the producer of the Anthologies. Seems to happen more as I get older!

I didn't mean to trigger a war by becoming confused about the producer of the Anthologies and feel that both HarryT and CRutledge perform invaluable services to our community. For those services I thank them both profusely.

Now can we go back to reading from their hard work?

Last edited by frquixote; 09-03-2012 at 10:23 PM.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #11
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Over time, I have gathered and/or developed a set of tools which allows me to handle these books rapidly.
I admire both the quality and quantity of the book you produce, Charlie. Or concerning the latter, "flabbergasted", would be more the mot juste.
Is there any chance of you revealing just how you manage to do it?
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
I admire both the quality and quantity of the book you produce, Charlie. Or concerning the latter, "flabbergasted", would be more the mot juste.
Is there any chance of you revealing just how you manage to do it?
I'm 76 years old and can't get around much. My day has started at about 0300 for many years (30 years in the military and another 15 as a software engineer) and ends about 2000 hrs. So I have lots of time.

With the tools I have gathered and developed over time a great deal of the work is almost automared. Formating ebooks is my hobby and something I very much enjoy. I also get to read lots of great books. It keeps my mind active. Depending on the books, I may do two or three in a day while some may take 2 or 3 days.

It's just a matter of keeping at it.