Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-14-2018, 03:47 AM   #541
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Cqman had installed a 1.8.3 firmware version and in that version the password/pin settings was activated, how you can see the screenshot on this page . I don't know how he got that version of the firmware (with Pin settings activated), but on 1.9 firmware the password/Pin settings is one more time deactivated.
On Android 4 was easy to unpack the firmware (here a tutorial), edit the boot.img file and flash it one more time. On Android 6 it's more complicated, because now Onyx use a upk format and it's more difficult to handle itt. Booxtor said a couple of weeks ago an extended version (with password settings activated) of the last firmware will be available soon. Onyx Note is a great device, but without a minimal privacy protection It's difficult to use it with confidential Information
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:08 AM   #542
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Is it possible to use a usb flash stick/drive with Note instead of the missing external memory card?
I completely ran out of the internal flash memory.
It would be very very helpful if it is possible.

I guess, I need a USB OTG cable or an OTG enabled usb c stick.
Hopefully, with an angled - not straight - usb-c connector at the end. To avoid inadvertently damaging the usb port on the Note.

Oh, at least the default Neo player allows to rotate the page upside down - so the usb port is at the top - great!

And the Note may have to be rooted. Are there any news about rooting Note? Or is it still a lottery?

It seems that on Max 2 OTG works without rooting but an external power has to be supplied to the usb memory stick.
Hopefully, at least the same with Note. But the solution gets less compact.

BTW, it would work instead of the missing password/pin - you could keep the sensitive data on it.

Last edited by parkher; 08-11-2018 at 04:03 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #543
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
It seems that on Max 2 OTG works without rooting but an external power has to be supplied to the usb memory stick.
Hopefully, at least the same with Note. But the solution gets less compact.

BTW, it would work instead of the missing password/pin - you could keep the sensitive data on it.
You could try some wi-fi memory stick, wi-fi HD, wi-fi enclosure etc. with a password protected network.

Last edited by Marinolino; 08-11-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #544
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess, it is a solution worth considering. But I'd rather have a cable hanging from the top of my upside down Note. I never switch wi-fi on on any of my e-readers, so I didin't even think of it. Thanks.

Perhaps it is possible to open up the Note and to connect 5 v to the usb port internally.
If I understand correctly that that what is missing.
There surely must be some pins with 5 v inside it. That would allow to add a compact right angled usb c otg stick (if they already exist - such micro usb stics - do) instead of a cable.

Last edited by parkher; 08-11-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #545
parkher
Evangelist

So Note's user manuals for both 1.8.3 and for 1.90 show 13 pre-installed apps.
And also the manual says the pre-installed apps cannot be removed.
So, with 1.8.3 I had 12, not 13.
With 1.9.0 - only 11. And then the number went down to 10. And then down to 9. Then it again increased to 10. Interesting.
Currently missing are:
• Monitor (perhaps applicable for Max 2 only, but the user manual is for BOOX Note, not Max 2)
• Read statistics
• Search
I don't remember trying to remove those apps, although I removed many apps I installed myself.
Advert
Old 08-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #546
gat
gat began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800sg
Boox note 10.3 is available again on Amazon... be sure to check on the special offers down the page... they are giving free cover, screen protector and adapter... and discounted stylus.
Just placed my order.
gat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #547
parkher
Evangelist

Speaking of the screen protector, anybody tried with it? I accidentally have 3 of them, but I also have the cover. I think you need either the cover or the protector but not both, because the flexible screen cannot be broken but can be scratched.

The cover - heavy but no additional layer.
The protector - an additional layer that must decrease contrast and add some distortions.
So far, I am using the cover. I am so happy Note has no light distribution layer, so I am reluctant to add another layer instead.

Last edited by parkher; 08-16-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #548
wherahiko
Enthusiast
wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle PW 3
Quote:
Speaking of the screen protector, anybody tried with it? [...] I also have the cover. I think you need either the cover or the protector but not both, because the flexible screen cannot be broken but can be scratched.
I have one, but haven't tried to put it on yet. I have heard that is difficult to get right. If anyone has any tips, or can link to a video explanation, I would be grateful.

In the meantime, I am reluctant to use the stylus to much in case I scratch the screen. I agree that the cover makes the Note considerably heavier. (It also switches off the Note every time I fold it backwards.) Using the screen protector but not the cover seems like an attractive option.

Parkher, are you finding the screen gets scratched if you write on it without the screen protector? Or is it ok?
wherahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:16 AM   #549
parkher
Evangelist

I haven't noticed any scratches yet. I don't use the stylus much, but I tried to press it hard to test the different thickness it then produces.
I hope it is not supposed to cause any scratches without the protector.

But my Note does not go to sleep if the cover is folded back. Never happens.
Something different about my Note or its cover, perhaps the magnets are weaker.
I got it only recently, maybe they improved something.

So I got three screen protectors. I ordered one with the reader, just in case. I got a red message that it was the last one in stock. But somehow they sent me two instead of one, and yet another one was included with the reader itself - I haven't seen mentioned anywhere that the screen protector is included. It was in the box of the reader itself, without the sleeve like the separate ones. That included screen protector - perhaps it is a hint that it should be used? Perhaps they began including it with the reader when they saw that the screen gets frequently scratched without it?

As to how to attach it, there is something written in the product description:

Some installation tips :
- It's very important to install in a dust-free environment to avoid particles between your screen protector and screen.
- Thoroughly clean your screen.
- Use the dust-absorber to adsorb dusts in the screen. - Peel a small piece of the layer labeled "1" and adjust it carefully at the screen.
- in order to avoid air bubbles flatten the attached part of the protector slowly at the screen surface.

Last edited by parkher; 08-17-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #550
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Personally, I consider both the cover and the screen protector necessary for the Note if you are going to be traveling about with it. The cover helps protect the Note from other objects in a bag pressing against the screen and potentially damaging it. The protector protects the screen from scratches when using the stylus.

When the Note first came out, a number of people commented about scratches on their screens from using the stylus. This was similar to the same issue with the Max2. Consequently, Onyx apparently started including a free screen protector with new purchases of the Note.

Because it is a large surface area, and because of the recessed screen, applying the screen protector can be difficult. Some people have gone to places like Mobile Outfitters to have it applied by professionals and have reported good results.

I applied mine myself. My first attempt was a disaster. Luckily, I had bought several of the protectors anticipating this. My second try went better. Just a few bubbles from tiny specks of dust. Guess the room I was doing it in was dustier than I imagined. I considered trying again, but then thought better. The little bubbles don't affect reading, writing or drawing on the screen. I can live with a few small bubbles and will keep my final screen protector for when I eventually have to replace it.

Below is a link to a YouTube video which another user posted about how to apply the screen protector. Best of luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-96y2YbQ1NQ
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #551
parkher
Evangelist

Question Mark, thanks.

"better apply screen protector as soon as you get your devices" - too late
My environment is very dusty

What about this - if I throw away the stylus, then I probably don't need the screen protector. I used stylus only to try it, I don't need it at all otherwise. I am now sorry I ever used it, although I don't see scratches.

But the screen is dirty and with fingerprints. I wonder, how to clean the screen (when it is without the protector). Is it OK to use the same spray I use on other readers with the glass screens? The same that is used for computer monitors or eyeglasses or optical lenses (alcohol-free AR formula)? Or the plastic screen might not like it? So far I was afraid to use it. If I clean it while dry - that itself may cause scratches.

Last edited by parkher; 08-17-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #552
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
"better apply screen protector as soon as you get your devices" - too late
My environment is very dusty
I didn't apply a screen protector right away either as there wasn't one initially available when I got mine. However, I have one on now which will hopefully save it going forward.

One user mentioned applying the screen protector in the bathroom after having run the shower for a while. Apparently the humidity can help to reduce the amount of dust circulating in the air. I didn't do that, but next time I will definitely give it a try.

Quote:
What about this - if I throw away the stylus, then I probably don't need the screen protector. I used stylus only to try it, I don't need it at all otherwise. I am now sorry I ever used it, although I don't see scratches.
The stylus can be very handy even if you do not intend to write a lot. For example, when I am reading in Chinese and attempt to select a character to look up in the dictionary, it will often select several characters. It can be next to impossible to select the individual character I am interested in using just my finger. When I use the stylus, it is very easy to do.

You could try approaching a professional operation such as Mobile Outfitters to see what they would charge to apply your screen protector since you already have it. It might be a very minimal charge.

Or since you already have it. you have nothing to lose, apart from a bit of time, by attempting to apply it yourself. It will either be satisfactory or it won't. If it isn't, you simply take it off. No harm done.

I would definitely hold onto the stylus whether or not you intend to use it much. Having options is better than not having them.

Personally, I would also be inclined to have a screen protector installed on the device even if I weren't intending to use the stylus much as it appears that the surface is more susceptible to scratching than glass surfaces.

Quote:
But the screen is dirty and with fingerprints. I wonder, how to clean the screen (when it is without the protector). Is it OK to use the same spray I use on other readers with the glass screens?
I have never used a spray on any of my other readers or tablets. I find one of those micro fibre cloths is usually sufficient. I would be very careful about applying any chemical solution to a plastic screen.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #553
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Below is a link to a YouTube video which another user posted about how to apply the screen protector. Best of luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-96y2YbQ1NQ
Hello,
Have you an idea of what is the type of the with ribbon, it's not a classic 'scotch' because it is not very adhesive.

Thanks for the link.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #554
parkher
Evangelist

Also the instruction says: Use the dust-absorber to absorb dust from the screen.

So this tape is probably the above mentioned dust-absorber.
In some videos you can clearly hear that a "cellotape" or "cello tape" or "Sellotape" is used.
Sellotape is a brand name, and cellotape is a generic name of a cellophane tape (a cellulose-based transparent adhesive tape). So, I guess, any such tape you might use when wrapping your Christmas gifts, etc.

There are more videos although not Note-specific. This video even has comments from a professional protector installer. How to remove dust particles after installing the protector:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvrgTT6GSPk

This one shows a shower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB3BQVqlXm0

A good idea to fix at the side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8SYR9133TA

In two places for a large screen, so this is our case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=Nx_7ad4takY

Removing dust particles and bubles afterwards (somewhat similar to the 1st one):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=Nus18lH4SkU

The last three videos seem to show a special dust absorbing tape instead of a generic cellotape.

There are many more videos on Youtube, not sure if I got the best ones.

Last edited by parkher; 08-19-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #555
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I have never used a spray on any of my other readers or tablets. I find one of those micro fibre cloths is usually sufficient. I would be very careful about applying any chemical solution to a plastic screen.
Maybe not directly on the reader but on the cloth instead. It is recommended to use a wet cloth on a dirty screen - otherwise you may scratch the screen even with the microfibre cloth if abrasive dust particles are trapped underneath it. But with what to make it wet? How to remove greasy fingerprints? I hope that this special spray is ok, otherwise what? Distilled water with soap? What soap? Without soap? Would it be enough?

I am afraid even to begin cleaning the screen because then I might notice that I already made some scratches with that stupid stylus. I used it just to try a new thing, without any need.
BTW, just to select a letter on the screen, it should be ok to use stylus without any danger of a scratch. Just to tap a letter, not moving the tip at all when it touches the screen.

Last edited by parkher; 08-19-2018 at 08:50 AM.