Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
If your buying habits result in you tending to see higher levels of discount then good for you, but your anecdotal evidence in no way merits such a definitive claim as you have chosen to make.
I can only talk about the books that I buy, which are primarily backlist crime, SF, and fantasy, and what I stated is perfectly true for those. Obviously I don't know what books that I never look at cost. It may well be that someone who mainly buys "bestsellers" will have a different experience.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #32
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But it's not "a few examples", Crowl. I buy a lot of ebooks, and I honestly cannot recall EVER having paid as much for the ebook as I would have done for the paperback. Yes, sometimes 3rd party sellers can appear to be cheaper, but that's before you add the £2.80 postage cost. It really is the case that, in the UK at least, ebooks on average cost around half the price of paperbacks.

Harry, about 2008 I guess, perhaps earlier, I was paying full hardcover price for ebook versions of a then popular Mil SF series called Starfist. This was on release date of each new book. If I recall correctly, this was around the US$30 mark.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #33
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can only talk about the books that I buy, which are primarily backlist crime, SF, and fantasy, and what I stated is perfectly true for those. Obviously I don't know what books that I never look at cost. It may well be that someone who mainly buys "bestsellers" will have a different experience.
My purchases tend to be mainly SF and Fantasy too and it is not perfectly true for them at all, you get some around that level but nowhere near most of them no matter how many times you try to inflate your anecdote into an actual fact.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not "inflating" anything, and it's rather impolite of you to suggest that I'm somehow being dishonest. I am reporting the TRUTH of my personal book-buying experience.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #35
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
My purchases tend to be mainly SF and Fantasy too and it is not perfectly true for them at all, you get some around that level but nowhere near most of them no matter how many times you try to inflate your anecdote into an actual fact.
I buy new sf and fantasy books mostly and from amazon.com since I am in Sweden. And the Kindle book is always cheaper after correction for difference in VAT). Are you saying that for you the Kindle book is more expensive? Kan you give some titles in that case since I thought Germany also bought from amazon.com.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #36
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I buy new sf and fantasy books mostly and from amazon.com since I am in Sweden. And the Kindle book is always cheaper after correction for difference in VAT). Are you saying that for you the Kindle book is more expensive? Kan you give some titles in that case since I thought Germany also bought from amazon.com.
I have never suggested that the ebooks are not pretty much always cheaper, my dispute was over the unequivocal statement of anecdotal evidence of how big that discount was as an absolute fact rather just personal (and very lucky) experience:

"It really is the case that, in the UK at least, ebooks on average cost around half the price of paperbacks."

Excluding sales and special timed offers that would skew the figures, I would estimate that the typical discount for me would tend to be something more like 20%.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #37
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it also has to do with the actual books themselves. A lot of PD books are either free or only cost .99 for example, but a more recent book or one that is popular will cost the buyer more than the PD titles. A lot of collections of an older author's work (Like Bram Stoker for example) will cost you .99 or more depending on the seller even though his works are in the PD. I imagine the Delphi collection of his works costs more than that as well though I don't know why. More a charge for their time putting the collection together and editing it perhaps? Some ebooks do cost about what the paper version costs though. Some cost even more. For example "Book in a Month" by Victoria Lynn Schmidt costs you $9.78 in paper but it costs $11.99 in ebook now. You would expect it to be the other way round.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #38
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollei View Post
e-books cost the same, sometimes higher than printed books. e-books should be cheaper since it cost less and almost no cost, once the e-book is produced.
I keep seeing this, but for me, it's not true. At least not in the Netherlands. Very often, a paperback will cost €9.99, while the e-book will cost €6.49. That's about 1/3rd cheaper. I've seen price differences of up to 50%

I'm not even counting Kobo codes; they often reduce the ebooks's price to less than €2. (Granted, I've never had the opportunity to use a code anywhere else besides Kobo, and diesel-ebooks.)

The last option to reduce the price is to shop in the UK or US, which will lower the price even more as long as the Euro is worth more than the pound or dollar.

In the last three years, I've bought over 750 ebooks. I would not have done that had I been still buying paper books.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #39
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I keep seeing this, but for me, it's not true. At least not in the Netherlands. Very often, a paperback will cost €9.99, while the e-book will cost €6.49. That's about 1/3rd cheaper. I've seen price differences of up to 50%

I'm not even counting Kobo codes; they often reduce the ebooks's price to less than €2. (Granted, I've never had the opportunity to use a code anywhere else besides Kobo, and diesel-ebooks.)

The last option to reduce the price is to shop in the UK or US, which will lower the price even more as long as the Euro is worth more than the pound or dollar.

In the last three years, I've bought over 750 ebooks. I would not have done that had I been still buying paper books.
It varies from country to country. I don't know where rollei is from but in Canada I'm not surprised by the comment. A quick check today of Ken Follett's latest book "Edge of Eternity" shows the hardcover available at multiple stores for $21.00 but the ebook is listed on both Amazon and Kobo as $21.99. The first book in the series "Fall of Giants" is readily available at $10.44 in paperback but the ebook is $10.99 at both Amazon and Kobo. (This is ignoring the fact you can get the discounted original hardcover for $4.99 in the Indigo bargain bin).
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #40
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

I have learned from this thread that e-books are cheaper than p-books in other countries.

In Canada, e-books are either more expensive or costs the same as p-books. I have posted examples earlier in the thread. Of course, this is relating to bestsellers and popular books.

The Kobo codes will not help as those codes will not work on books by Simon & Schuster, Random House, Penguin etc
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote