Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #1186
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Ooops
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1185

Last edited by knc1; 08-22-2014 at 08:48 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #1187
GriGrim
GriGrim began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 5.4.3
My Kindle's serial number is 9017 [rest of s.n. removed].
Firmware version is 5.4.3.2.

I am trying to install the 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Copy three files from archive. Eject an unplug my Kindle. But "Update Your Kindle" link stays grayed out. When I plug Kindle again, it occurs that *.bin file disappeared.

As I understand from current list of Kindle models my device is suitable for the 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak.
What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-24-2014 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Removed entire serial number for member's safety.
GriGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #1188
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriGrim View Post
My Kindle's serial number is 9017
Firmware version is 5.4.3.2.

I am trying to install the 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Copy three files from archive. Eject an unplug my Kindle. But "Update Your Kindle" link stays grayed out. When I plug Kindle again, it occurs that *.bin file disappeared.

As I understand from current list of Kindle models my device is suitable for the 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak.
What am I doing wrong?
1)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083

2)
Your using the wrong packages, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

Last edited by knc1; 08-24-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #1189
GriGrim
GriGrim began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 5.4.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
First, and very important, do not publish your entire serial number.
Just the first four characters.
What are the risks when publishing entire serial number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your using the wrong packages
Thanks. Success.
GriGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #1190
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriGrim View Post
What are the risks when publishing entire serial number?

Thanks. Success.
Impersonating your Kindle device, giving access to your Amazon account.
So unless you intend to buy books for the entire world, "Don't Do That" (tm).

Hint:
Amazon requires a credit card to be on file.
At least at one time (I haven't checked recently), after your Amazon account is open and you have everything set-up, you can change the credit card on file to one on a closed account.
(It will not be checked until time of purchase - and then everything goes tilt.)

Last edited by knc1; 08-24-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Advert
Old 08-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #1191
zeshonoff2
zeshonoff2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Is there a possibility of this jailbreak at some point being updated to work with 5.4.5.x? And if so, is there an eta of sorts?

Forgive me if this is somewhere else, but I can't seem to find it.
zeshonoff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #1192
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@zeshonoff2: Read the 5.4.5 notice of the first post 'til the end.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #1193
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeshonoff2 View Post
Is there a possibility of this jailbreak at some point being updated to work with 5.4.5.x? And if so, is there an eta of sorts?

Forgive me if this is somewhere else, but I can't seem to find it.
The problem is that the Kindle updater renames the update .bin, and in doing so, has closed the attack vector we used to have. Unless someone comes up with a new way to force the Kindle to execute arbitrary commands...

In other words, no ETA, since there is nothing to work on.

You can still downgrade and jailbreak (as mentioned in the first post). Once jailbroken, the bundled jailbreak bridge will keep you jailbroken even after applying the 5.4.5.x update.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #1194
1drey
1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold

Device: Sony PRS-505 PB360 Opus Sony PRS-350
I've got a question about downgrade procedure.

Do I understand correctly that it is necessary to copy update_5.4.3.2.bit to my reader and immediately after that I have to reboot it with power button?

Sorry for silly question, but I failed to find a step-by-step instruction. Just bought my first Kindle (after owning Sony and Kobo feel a bit disoriented
1drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #1195
knc1
Going Viral

Yup. You got it, that is the full step-by-step set of instructions.
Ref: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=12
Old 09-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #1196
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, on Windows, *NOT* immediately, but yeah, that's the gist of it, see the post by dsmid that knc1 linked to.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 AM   #1197
originalgabriel
originalgabriel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation
Just to verify

I apologize if this has been answered before, but I searched this thread and couldn't find anything definitive.

I have a 1st gen Kindle Paperwhite (currently running the latest 5.4.4.2 software) and am wanting to jailbreak it in order to manage collections via Calibre. I just want to verify that by doing so, I wont lose any existing functionality (Whisper sync, etc.), and that this just allows me to add mods to my eReader.
originalgabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #1198
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@originalgabriel: You're good. Except that collection managing is currently broken with CM on 5.4.4.2 (but will hopefully be fixed soon). It should be working with LibrarianSync, though, although that's very new, so not really battle tested yet .
Old 09-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #1199
originalgabriel
originalgabriel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@originalgabriel: You're good. Except that collection managing is currently broken with CM on 5.4.4.2 (but will hopefully be fixed soon). It should be working with LibrarianSync, though, although that's very new, so not really battle tested yet .
Yeah, I saw that after I posted. Hopefully a workaround is found, my library is getting a bit unruly, and managing collections via the Paper white is tedious.
originalgabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #1200
Brynwall
Enthusiast
Brynwall began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
My Kindle was jailbroken prior to Amazon forcing the update to 5.4.5.1. I installed the jailbreak again [just to see if it would work], and it worked beautifully... I had to re-install KUAL, but I was ecstatic when everything started working correctly again! I jailbreak my PW2 solely for the Cover Mode Screen Saver hack.
Brynwall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch