Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-15-2017, 02:16 AM   #76
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I would like to see them give the option to remove the book title while reading. I don't see the point of having that on every page.
Kobo does the same thing. I don't get it. Amazon doesn't do this.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:53 AM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
You are reading kepub on your Kobo. if you read ePub, you won't get a header.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:43 AM   #78
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
Like I said, there is an issue that when eject the Nook from a computer, the USB mode does not turn off on the Nook.
I have had problems that may be related to this. The PC tells me that the NOOK has been safely ejected, but sometimes the NOOKs shelves are lost, sometimes some of the book cover icons disappear, and on a couple of occasions the NOOK stopped recognizing the side-loaded books entirely. THAT was no fun; I had to do an erase-and-deregister both times; then start from scratch with my side-loading. Giant PITA!!!!

I find I've been able to avoid these negative effects by leaving the NOOK plugged into the PC for some time after properly ejecting it. But it's a guess as to how long it should be left plugged in for safe closure of the USB mode. In an abundance of caution I've been letting it stay connected for half an hour after ejecting. That's probably overkill, but who knows?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #79
plainbriny
plainbriny began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Nook Glowlight 3
Got my glowlight 3 today, updated to the latest beta and working well, got one big partition to put plenty of stuff, perhaps epub with embedded fonts.

Not as snappy as my kindle, but this is android, I can accept that.
I really like the long-press n button to turn on/off light function, very handy, especially when you're in complete darkness.

One disadvantage however is the lack of support other than western language, Google has released Noto Sans/Serif fonts that support almost all languages in the world, should be able to incorporate into nook.

Another issue is that after the update, I try to root it but failed, no permission with adb, has anyone encounter this problem?
plainbriny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #80
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, Nook Glowlight 3
You know, reading the complaints/suggestions on here, I really wish the Nook guys would check MobileRead. Non-partitioned memory, dumping the book-title header, the greyed out dictionary. All of these recommendations could have been made before the Glowlight 3 was even released.

We might not be the 'average' customer. But we are the ones that buy multiple devices/every device from a manufacturer and evangelize about different e-readers. And the stuff that gets complained about here will be the stuff that gets tagged in device reviews down the road.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #81
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You know, reading the complaints/suggestions on here, I really wish the Nook guys would check MobileRead. Non-partitioned memory, dumping the book-title header, the greyed out dictionary. All of these recommendations could have been made before the Glowlight 3 was even released.
I LOVE the book title being shown in the header portion of the display. You'll have to fight me over that one.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #82
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I LOVE the book title being shown in the header portion of the display. You'll have to fight me over that one.
Do you forget what book you are reading?

What if it wasn't displayed at all times, but when you tap the center of the screen to access settings it was displayed?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #83
rkjnsn
rkjnsn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
The Developers at B&N said they hoped this would be the last beta before they released it to the public.

If you know of any "issues" please respond and I will forward them to the Developers.

Actually, this may be an opportunity to ask them to fix/correct most any issues. So, if you have any suggestions, please respond, ASAP.
Aside from the darkening the light chapter headers (already mentioned), I would really like to be able to set my own sleep image.
rkjnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #84
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkjnsn View Post
Aside from the darkening the light chapter headers (already mentioned), I would really like to be able to set my own sleep image.
x2

Older models did this. Shouldn't be that difficult.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #85
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are reading kepub on your Kobo. if you read ePub, you won't get a header.
... and have to put up with my books not syncing to my phone, not having chapter progress, and dreadful typography.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:12 PM   #86
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kobo Touch, Kindle KB, 4, Touch & 8, most Sonys
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
The Nook Simple Touch doesn't do this either. It's a "feature" Barnes & Noble has actually added for some inexplicable reason.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #87
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I just think it should be optional.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #88
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkjnsn View Post
And/Or, optionally, have it set the book's cover.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #89
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Do you forget what book you are reading?
No, I like the presentation much better that way (they simply cribbed this from printed books which almost always have the title printed at the top of one page or another, and sometimes the chapter name as well). I really take presentation seriously as I am a firm believer that it can either make a reading experience memorable or kill it.

Quote:
I just think it should be optional.
Optional is good.

Quote:
And/Or, optionally, have it set the book's cover.
I really wish you could set the book titles as the sleep display. I haven't had that on an e-reader since my Kobo Wifi...
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #90
tiltowait
Zealot

The sleep images (I won't call them "screensavers") are kind of funny in how much of a difference they make in my enjoyment of a device. I'd have a hard time ditching Kobo simply because it shows the cover of the current book you're reading. I don't know why it's such a big deal.