Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
My Oasis has one dead LED

I only just noticed tonight, after using it for three weeks! I'm planning to return it and buy another one. I never thought this would happen to me, I've always been so lucky with the lighting on my kindles. Wish I could upload a photo from my iPad. It's really obvious between brightness 4 and 7.

I mean, this is not just a matter of opinion, I can see the LED is missing, so that is a faulty device.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Replacement arriving on Sunday. I'll upload a photo of the missing LED tomorrow from my computer.

I love my Oasis (after wrestling with the size and angularity of it), so I'm upset to have to send it back, but I can't unsee the missing light now.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:30 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Replacement arriving on Sunday. I'll upload a photo of the missing LED tomorrow from my computer.

I love my Oasis (after wrestling with the size and angularity of it), so I'm upset to have to send it back, but I can't unsee the missing light now.

Put a piece of masking tape over the spot!

Let us know when your new one arrives.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
Pjama
Guru

Here are pics as promised. I don't think tape would help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4073.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	160644   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	160645  
Old 12-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That second image is a bit too dark to make out much detail.

(What's the name of the book you're reading?)

-- Thanks.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That second image is a bit too dark to make out much detail.

(What's the name of the book you're reading?)

-- Thanks.
Yes, both photos are poor (iPad last thing at night), but you should be able to see the creeping black shadow on the right hand side of the dark image where the LED is missing.

Towards Zero by Agatha Christie - comfort reading.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #7
Pjama
Guru

Here are a couple more pics. I'm wondering how I could have failed to notice this for the past three weeks! It's glaringly obvious today, even in daylight.

So, do you think it's possible that reading it in the bath has caused one of the LEDs to blow?

I've never had a Kindle LED die on me before, has anyone here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	160647   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	160648  
Old 12-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, both photos are poor (iPad last thing at night), but you should be able to see the creeping black shadow on the right hand side of the dark image where the LED is missing.

Towards Zero by Agatha Christie - comfort reading.

Yes, that creeping black shadow seems very bad, in my opinion.

Which unit are those photos from?
Old 12-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
Pjama
Guru

Kindle Oasis 9th gen wifi and 3G, 32GB.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Here are a couple more pics. I'm wondering how I could have failed to notice this for the past three weeks! It's glaringly obvious today, even in daylight.

So, do you think it's possible that reading it in the bath has caused one of the LEDs to blow?

I've never had a Kindle LED die on me before, has anyone here?
Absolutely. There is no electronic device that is waterproof or intended for underwater use. Only way you can get away with it is with an airtight case. And even an airtight case cannot keep electronics submerged forever - eventually the seals will break.

From your instructions that came with the Oasis:

Quote:
Water Protection
Your Kindle has been tested to withstand brief accidental immersion in water under certain conditions. However, your Kindle is not intended for underwater use and may experience temporary effects from exposure to water. ...
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I’m actually somewhat impressed that losing an LED had such a small effect. I would have expected it to be even more annoying.

But glad you are getting it replaced.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
That is very noticeable Pjama. Glad you are getting a replacement for that.

So far I haven't had a light die yet. We have the PW1, its my husbands so I don't use it, Voyage, O1 and now the O2.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #13
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
"Water Protection
Your Kindle has been tested to withstand brief accidental immersion in water under certain conditions. However, your Kindle is not intended for underwater use and may experience temporary effects from exposure to water. ..."

Quite, DuckieTigger, but blowing an LED is not a 'temporary effect'. Anyway, I'll not use the new one in the bath as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I’m actually somewhat impressed that losing an LED had such a small effect. I would have expected it to be even more annoying.

But glad you are getting it replaced.
Well, it does have 12 of them, I think, so it is the effect of just losing 1/12 of the illumination. I can see clearly where each LED is, and can count down that it is number 7 that has blown.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
That is very noticeable Pjama. Glad you are getting a replacement for that.

So far I haven't had a light die yet. We have the PW1, its my husbands so I don't use it, Voyage, O1 and now the O2.
Me neither, until now, and we have a lot of PWs, and a Voyage (which has been well-used for over three years). I suppose they must die at some point though. I wonder what their expected lifespan is - greater than that of the battery, I expect.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #15
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Definitely need a replacement for that unit. Good thing you got the ball rolling already.

I haven't had a dead LED on a Kindle device but I had a huge problem with the Paperwhite 2 when it came out. On the first two units I had there was something wrong with one of the film layers that the light disperses through that caused "sparkling" and areas where the light just shone through like a flashlight through a piece of paper with a pinhole in it. This made reading at night hilarious.

Super annoying. Super bad QC. And then I didn't end up keeping a good unit when I got it because the PW screen is so dang fuzzy and indistinct even at the later 300 PPI that I just couldn't read comfortably on it.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote