Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #2461
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by c33v33 View Post
I'm having the same issue. Same Kindle PW3, same serial, same firmware.
"same firmware" - Do you mean the same version number with exactly the same (Build ID) ?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #2462
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Testing 5.8.9.0.1 firmware version for JB

Download the file attached to post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...70&postcount=1

Its name as posted is:
main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
and it must remain the same name, no extensions added, no extensions removed, never opened by any PC software (that includes any 'virus scanners' that might be keeping you safe from the real world).
  • Turn on Kindle
  • Connect Kindle-to-PC USB cord
  • Open the Kindle storage if it did not auto-open
  • Copy the file you downloaded to the topmost level of visible USB storage.
    It should show up along side of the /documents folder (directory), it should still have exactly the same name, be exactly the same size (to the byte identical).
  • Here is the actual size and its md5sum if you have the means to test those:
    Code:
    knc1:jail-break-work> ls -l main*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 knc1 users 592 Aug 12 11:15 main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
    knc1:jail-break-work> md5sum main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
    8d4ef0528bc1d72576b890a72840780a  main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
  • At the vary top of visible USB storage, along side of /documents and main-htmlviewer.tar.gz make a file named: html_demos
    All lower case, no extension, contents do not matter, only the name and location matters.
    If something helpfully added an extension to that name, remove the extension.
    The filename must be exactly:
    html_demos
    (sometimes in Windows it helps to name it (or re-name it)):
    html_demos.
    NOTE THE PERIOD above, it will not be included in the filename but it lets Windows know that you really wanted a missing extension field.
  • Safely remove the Kindle device.
  • Remove the USB cable (both ends or at least the Kindle end of it).
On the Kindle:
  • go to the 'home' page
  • open the search bar
  • enter, exactly:
    ;installHtml
    The semi-colon is part of the command, only the 'H' is upper case
    press the 'Enter' key on the keyboard (not the backspace key, the 'Enter' key - they are very close together).
  • Watch the screen
    The application manager, the X11 display and the Kindle system framework will be restarted.
    Each of those **should** make a noticeable change on the screen.

OK, you got all of that?
Now you can relax and get a little bit sloppy -

Hook the Kindle back up to the PC, see if the file named: html_demos is still at the top of visible USB storage where you put it.

Now move to the /documents folder
Do you see a document with the name:
You are Jailbroken.txt
in that folder?

Good - it all worked.

If not, report here -
include details of anything different than what I have written above.

Last edited by knc1; 08-12-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #2463
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
@Dcxx has said before that he has already updated to 5.8.10. Again, this will only work on 5.8.9.0.1 fresh out of the box.

@c33v33 is reporting that it is not working for him, but he has done a "reset", possibley as preparation for the downdgrade method.

@c33v33, can you try what knc1 has said here in post 2462? If it still does not work, you should be able to continue with the full process, steps 1-8, if you are on PW# G090G1. But I would be nice to have you provide the feedback knc1 is asking for.

Last edited by coplate; 08-12-2017 at 03:47 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #2464
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
@Dcxx has said before that he has already updated to 5.8.10.
- - - -
S/He is not getting off that easy.
The update should not have changed anything on visible USB storage.
It the file is still there from went the attempt was made, I would still like it checked.

One problem with this site is, we only hear of the failures, we do not hear of the 'silent success' stories.

But so far, all failure reports have been Windows 10.
At the moment, too few to be a certain sign of anything.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #2465
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
S/He is not getting off that easy.
The update should not have changed anything on visible USB storage.
It the file is still there from went the attempt was made, I would still like it checked.

One problem with this site is, we only hear of the failures, we do not hear of the 'silent success' stories.

But so far, all failure reports have been Windows 10.
At the moment, too few to be a certain sign of anything.
For @c33v33's issue:

I just re-installed 5.7.4, and did a reset afterwards. I was not able to run ';installHtml' after that. This obviously doesn't test 5.8.9.0.1 but it gives us a hint.

I wonder how many people with problems already did that step 2, while preparing not seeing the message about skipping it.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #2466
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
For @c33v33's issue:

I just re-installed 5.7.4, and did a reset afterwards. I was not able to run ';installHtml' after that. This obviously doesn't test 5.8.9.0.1 but it gives us a hint.

I wonder how many people with problems already did that step 2, while preparing not seeing the message about skipping it.
Did you mean factory 5.7.4?

Let me think about this:
*) You posted that it should only work on new-out-of-box 5.8.9.0.1
*) You and others (me?) have posted that new-out-of-box (anything) does not need to be reset.
So it seems likely that the people who are having success are not using 'reset' before hand.

This is a case where it would be really nice if people with success stories would register and make reports of their success.

= = = = =

This forum is built on top of Wiki software.
Just like Wiki pages, the owner (and moderators) can roll back posts to an earlier version.

I would really like to hear from some more people, good or bad.
But I can roll back the first post to what it contained before I added any mention of 5.8.9.0.1
Old 08-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #2467
coplate
Guru

also

I really wish we could figure out a way to force touch only devices it into fastboot or usb downloaded mode like the old ones that had a button.

I'm not familiar with the repair process of devices like this, but if third party refurbishers ( or whomever gets the contract to refubish them ) are able to re-install official first boot firmware, they have to have a way to get it installed. So I wonder if they have real hardware kits that hook up to the labelled "usb boot" pins on the motherboard, or they do it another way.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #2468
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
also

I really wish we could figure out a way to force touch only devices it into fastboot or usb downloaded mode like the old ones that had a button.

I'm not familiar with the repair process of devices like this, but if third party refurbishers ( or whomever gets the contract to refubish them ) are able to re-install official first boot firmware, they have to have a way to get it installed. So I wonder if they have real hardware kits that hook up to the labelled "usb boot" pins on the motherboard, or they do it another way.
All it takes is switching to the Diags system and
exit fastboot
at least according to the menu.
I haven't tried it myself.

You know these touch screen Kindles have been out for many years -
But you might be surprised how many people don't know how to take a screenshot.

I have been wondering if there is a 'magic touch' to switch them to 'diags' on the next boot.
(set bootmode diags)

Something like that might explain the situation with the Oasis - they KNOW they will never need serial port access to the device.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #2469
c33v33
c33v33 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Download the file attached to post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...70&postcount=1

Its name as posted is:
main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
and it must remain the same name, no extensions added, no extensions removed, never opened by any PC software (that includes any 'virus scanners' that might be keeping you safe from the real world).
  • Turn on Kindle
  • Connect Kindle-to-PC USB cord
  • Open the Kindle storage if it did not auto-open
  • Copy the file you downloaded to the topmost level of visible USB storage.
    It should show up along side of the /documents folder (directory), it should still have exactly the same name, be exactly the same size (to the byte identical).
  • Here is the actual size and its md5sum if you have the means to test those:
    Code:
    knc1:jail-break-work> ls -l main*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 knc1 users 592 Aug 12 11:15 main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
    knc1:jail-break-work> md5sum main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
    8d4ef0528bc1d72576b890a72840780a  main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
  • At the vary top of visible USB storage, along side of /documents and main-htmlviewer.tar.gz make a file named: html_demos
    All lower case, no extension, contents do not matter, only the name and location matters.
    If something helpfully added an extension to that name, remove the extension.
    The filename must be exactly:
    html_demos
    (sometimes in Windows it helps to name it (or re-name it)):
    html_demos.
    NOTE THE PERIOD above, it will not be included in the filename but it lets Windows know that you really wanted a missing extension field.
  • Safely remove the Kindle device.
  • Remove the USB cable (both ends or at least the Kindle end of it).
On the Kindle:
  • go to the 'home' page
  • open the search bar
  • enter, exactly:
    ;installHtml
    The semi-colon is part of the command, only the 'H' is upper case
    press the 'Enter' key on the keyboard (not the backspace key, the 'Enter' key - they are very close together).
  • Watch the screen
    The application manager, the X11 display and the Kindle system framework will be restarted.
    Each of those **should** make a noticeable change on the screen.

OK, you got all of that?
Now you can relax and get a little bit sloppy -

Hook the Kindle back up to the PC, see if the file named: html_demos is still at the top of visible USB storage where you put it.

Now move to the /documents folder
Do you see a document with the name:
You are Jailbroken.txt
in that folder?

Good - it all worked.

If not, report here -
include details of anything different than what I have written above.
MD5 of main-htmlviewer.tar.gz is exactly the same. CRC32 of main-htmlviewer.tar is the same. main-htmlviewer.tar.gz was put on root unmodified. I created html_demos (no period or extension) at root. ;installHtml does not do anything (case sensitive). html_demos is still at root after trying command. No You are Jailbroken.txt in /documents.

Build ID is same as Dcxx. I never updated the Kindle. Was bought at a Best Buy in USA. I never performed a device reset.
c33v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #2470
coplate
Guru

Quote:
All it takes is switching to the Diags system and
exit fastboot
at least according to the menu.

I haven't tried it myself.

You know these touch screen Kindles have been out for many years -
But you might be surprised how many people don't know how to take a screenshot.

I have been wondering if there is a 'magic touch' to switch them to 'diags' on the next boot.
(set bootmode diags)

Something like that might explain the situation with the Oasis - they KNOW they will never need serial port access to the device.
Yeah, I meant without serial I have tried a couple things, about holding the screenshot points, and so far have not found anything. but that may be a failure in imagination.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #2471
coplate
Guru

Quote:
MD5 of main-htmlviewer.tar.gz is exactly the same. CRC32 of main-htmlviewer.tar is the same. main-htmlviewer.tar.gz was put on root unmodified. I created html_demos (no period or extension) at root. ;installHtml does not do anything (case sensitive). html_demos is still at root after trying command. No You are Jailbroken.txt in /documents.

Build ID is same as Dcxx. I never updated the Kindle. Was bought at a Best Buy in USA. I never performed a device reset.
I re-read your message, you were quoting Dcxx who did the reset. so you have not. thank you for getting the data.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #2472
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

It all sounds carefully done, thanks a lot.

That combination of things I wrote up gives indications of the script's progress at several points.
Yours never executed.

= = = =

Are you still on 5.8.9.0.1?
If you are, would you be willing to install the factory 5.8.9.0.1 update package?
It should be 'harmless' but you can never tell about even signed packages obtained through unofficial channels.

If interested, PM me, I'll give you a link to the package download.

And yes, this 5.8.9.0.1 DOES have the script included - I have it open in front of me, it is really in there.

Last edited by knc1; 08-12-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:09 AM   #2473
Dcxx
Dcxx began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 5.8.10 (3202090019)
Quote:
Is drive F: the Kindle's USB storage?
The entire point is to test the file as it is, on the Kindle's USB storage in the exact place the Kindle will be looking for it.

The one that failed should still be on your Kindle, since the command failing does not remove it.
THAT is the one to test, exactly where it sits, immediately before unplugging the Kindle from your computer and then using the main searchbar command.
Yes. F is the Kindle.
But as was said above keep in mind my kindle is now in 5.8.10.
I still replicated the same conditions I had when failing to JB on 5.8.9.0.1 (same computer 7 entreprise and chrome version).

I'm leaving on a one week vacation, folks. Thanks for the help! I'll try to provide more info when I'm back (no computer).

Last edited by Dcxx; 08-13-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Dcxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #2474
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT2, PW2
Well, I just gave up with the tries to manually change Hex Values of Kindle updates.

I think I'll just try finding "magic touches" to launch fastboot.
nicolasmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #2475
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmart View Post
Well, I just gave up with the tries to manually change Hex Values of Kindle updates.

I think I'll just try finding "magic touches" to launch fastboot.
Which device and with what version firmware will you be experimenting with?

What is your general plan?
Read through the software?
Run the software under emulation?
Just poke at the screen?

OH -
and since this thread is intended for the maintenance of this jail break, not about discovering something new - -
why don't you start your own thread?
Threads are cheap here.