Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #91
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by betoncio View Post
I had an iPod Touch once, when it first came out, and i figured out how to use as a flash memory, but it was a pin in the ass to do every time i want to download something from the device, so i changed the ipod for something with a simple plug and play option. I think its gonna be the same with the iPad.
I'd be very surprised if the iPad isn't jailbroken within 24 hours of it being available. Then you can access it via the USB connection like a mass storage device.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #92
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'd be very surprised if the iPad isn't jailbroken within 24 hours of it being available. Then you can access it via the USB connection like a mass storage device.

BOb
I wouldn't be surprised either, but given that Apple refers to jailbreakers as terrorists and can ban them, I'm not sure I'd want to rely on jailbreaking for core functionality.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #93
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I wouldn't be surprised either, but given that Apple refers to jailbreakers as terrorists and can ban them, I'm not sure I'd want to rely on jailbreaking for core functionality.
Yes, terrorists... gods forbid wanting to put an app on your device that is not in the apple store... or being able to change the background and icons on your device. Certainly that is equivalent to killing thousands of innocent people.

I really don't know how apple can "ban" you. What does that mean any way? They won't take your money anymore?

BOb
Old 03-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #94
betoncio
betoncio began at the beginning.

Device: a81
What i want to say is that u have to hack the device to use it as a mass storage device, i dont like that very much, i like a device that does everything i want without messing with hacks or cracks, i mean, if u have to modify the device, then the company behind it is doing something wrong
betoncio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #95
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, terrorists... gods forbid wanting to put an app on your device that is not in the apple store... or being able to change the background and icons on your device. Certainly that is equivalent to killing thousands of innocent people.

I really don't know how apple can "ban" you
. What does that mean any way? They won't take your money anymore?

BOb
Must have to do with a device's ID signature in association with owner information. But as you say how sure is Apple that such banned person cannot find an alternate route?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #96
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
I read somewhere that version 4 of the iPhone software is almost ready for release. The most interesting thing so far about it is the spec allows for some of the storage capacity to be seen as a standard USB volume like a memory stick or hard drive.

So these problems may not be around for too much longer.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #97
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkzombie View Post
I read somewhere that version 4 of the iPhone software is almost ready for release. The most interesting thing so far about it is the spec allows for some of the storage capacity to be seen as a standard USB volume like a memory stick or hard drive.

Is that what that means? I heard that in the iPhone OS each app is sandboxed so you can't access data that another app stored. So, for example you can have to reader apps that both access the same ebook files.

BOb
Old 03-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #98
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Given Apple are selling the iWork suite for the iPad I think people will find it less useful if they cannot connect to another computer and transfer their document. It will be interesting to see if documents can be printed directly from the device.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #99
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:

I doubt that there will be a 4.0 release until Apple releases a new model iPhone.

It's unlikely that there will be a disk mode like the iPods have as each app is sandboxed so how would it access a general storage area?
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #100
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Plenty of people rely on it though, and in a few months time, there will be plenty of options me thinks.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #101
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I doubt that there will be a 4.0 release until Apple releases a new model iPhone.

It's unlikely that there will be a disk mode like the iPods have as each app is sandboxed so how would it access a general storage area?
I agree that there will be a simultaneous phone and v4 software launch.

As to your other point, only some applications will need to be re-written, Quickoffice would be an example maybe Safari for opening html book files for example. I would not be unhappy if safari did not do this though. Other applications like the OED or any number of games do not need this.

Without knowing how it will be implemented I suspect something like the disc use slider for iPod shuffles, where you decide how much is used for data and music.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #102
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:

The most recent upgrade of Iphone software has allowed my Iphone to monut as an external drive with two folders, one is for photos and the other PDF. Howver it is not possible to transfer documents to the iphone. But it does raise the possibility of transfer becoming possible at some point.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #103
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
The most recent upgrade of Iphone software has allowed my Iphone to monut as an external drive with two folders, one is for photos and the other PDF. Howver it is not possible to transfer documents to the iphone. But it does raise the possibility of transfer becoming possible at some point.
I shall have to upgrade my touch and see what happens.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #104
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Say, I thought that it was already established that there would be USB mounting on the desktop of the iPad and direct printing from it.

So those are moot issues.

I think people are looking for excuses to NOT buy it!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #105
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
I think people are looking for excuses to NOT buy it!
No, a lot of us just have no interest in it. Well, 'no interest' is incorrect. I have an idle curiosity about it. I mean it is impossible to avoid and not be affected by, all the hype being tossed about.

But at this point, to me, it seems too large to be a truely portable device and too crippled to be considered a small computer. I'm content to wait and see how the early adopters start to use it. I'll let them figure out what it is good at and then I'll decide if I need it or not.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote