Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #136
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
The Notion Ink tablet with it's pixel QI screen probably comes the closest to what you list there, but it recently got delayed.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #137
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Here is my iPad review. I currently own the Sony 505, the kindle 2, the kindle dx and now the iPad for reference.

The iPad is amazing and exceeds my expectations. I prefer to use it as my personal web browser over my MacBook pro (too large on my lap on the recliner) and my desktop (I only want to sit at my desk when I'm working).

The two best features are the display and the touch UI. I can not describe to you how amazing the display is. You must touch and try this device yourself.

I love using it as a reader and have read several stories on the kindle app. By the way, it bodes well that a new release just came out today for the kindle app which fixed some bugs on the iPad.

I also have found that I love the marvel comics app. I haven't read comics in years, but tried it thinking i wouldn't like it. Well, i found a comic that interested me, Undead Marvel Heroes, and spent about a hour or so, reading the complete series of five episodes. I am addicted. The graphics are so beautiful on the iPad you won't believe it. And reading in the special frame by frame mode is delightful.

The problems.

I am in Vegas right now. I brought it down to the pool to read. In direct daylight it was almost unreadable. It will not replace my kindle for outside reading. There's lots of cases when i like to read outside, so it definitely won't be the only reader i own. It is i think the best reader when I am in the house though.

Also, when by the pool, i started to play a game that had high contrast, implode xl. Within about 10 minutes, the iPad shut down with a overheating warning. It is only 70 outside, but very sunny and the sun warmed it up quick. Forget about using this in the sun. A hour later though i moved to the shade and had a delightful experience with it though.

Overall, i highly recommend it, but it has its limits. I will mostly use it in the house or the hotel room. It's not something like my phone that i will take everywhere. Also, i will keep a kindle around for any outside reading. Therefore, I'll continue to buy books from amazon so i can use it on both devices.

I love my iPad and to take it away from me you'll have to pry it away from my cold, dead hands. By the way, I typed this review on my iPad while on my hotel bed and i am touch-typing on the virtual keyboard. I believe i can type pretty fast on this keyboard and am getting better with more practice. I am just so glad that my typing skills aren't wasted on the device.

Last edited by sfernald; 04-08-2010 at 08:36 PM.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #138
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Ipad sounds good and I have one ordered, but it is, by all accounts, way to heavy to hold with one hand and needs to be "propped" on something for lengthy reading.
That's true of most hard cover or large format books... which are they type of ebooks I would read with the iPad or an iPad like device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
The Notion Ink tablet with it's pixel QI screen probably comes the closest to what you list there, but it recently got delayed.
Once again... why do we always feel non-released machines will be better and solve all the problems. The jury will be out until end users get them in their hands.

BTW: No device is going to be perfect and meet all your needs. This is why of the two vehicles we have, one is a mini van and one is a sedan. They both excel at different jobs.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #139
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
iasnt google docs on the web, is it flash?

Google Docs is a web application, it doesn't use flash though. It uses JavaScript and HTML only. If the browser in iPad doesn't run Google Docs then its just... shitty.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #140
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Once again... why do we always feel non-released machines will be better and solve all the problems. The jury will be out until end users get them in their hands.

BTW: No device is going to be perfect and meet all your needs. This is why of the two vehicles we have, one is a mini van and one is a sedan. They both excel at different jobs.

BOb
I was just pointing out that was what had the best chance at meeting the list of things he wanted.

I get not waiting for ever to buy a device as there's always something better just around the corner.

But it's also silly to just rush into early adopting new tech--especially new categories of tech like these new tablets that aren't full PCs.

I really want one, but I want one that fits my needs pretty well. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I'm not going to go drop $600+ on an iPad when there will be something that fits my needs a good bit better (and probably at less cost) 6 months to a year down the road.

It's not something I need right this second. I can wait for something with a tad bit larger screen, a real file management system etc.

The iPad is a great media consumption device. But it's lacking for use in business, research etc. as it's not really meant to be a productivity tool. You can get by with it. But for $600+ I want to do more than just get by so I'll wait and see what comes out, what they improve in the 2nd gen model etc.

I don't care about reflective screens like Pixel QI, but the other guy did so if he wants that he should keep an eye on the Adam and other tablets using it rather than early adopting something that doesn't match his needs.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 04-09-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #141
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
Google Docs is a web application, it doesn't use flash though. It uses JavaScript and HTML only. If the browser in iPad doesn't run Google Docs then its just... shitty.
I hadn't noticed the lack of ability to edit. I looked at my docs and saw them and didn't try to edit. I bet they come out with a fix. Gmail is FANTASTIC on the iPad.

Lee

Last edited by leebase; 04-09-2010 at 03:16 PM.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #142
perversity
Enthusiast
perversity began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I'm an Apple "fanboy" by all definitions of the "word". I've have 5 iPods, on my fourth Mac, and use lots of Apple software, like Logic, FinalCut, iWork...
I really wanted to buy the iPad and went to the store with cash in pocket, but when I played with one at bestbuy I was less than impressed. I see how the average consumer would fawn at such a device, but really it's just a really crappy computer put in a fasionable case that sells for 5 times what I would pay for it. It's heavy, the glare on the screen is tremendous, and it's just plain goofy looking. The curved back makes putting it down and using it a non-option. I look at my Macbook Pro as a super decked out toolbox, filled with great tools with sharp edges. I look at the iPad as a toybox, filled fingerpaints, chinese toys painted with lead and candy that rots the teeth.
I really miss the days when Apple seemed to focus it's resources on creative professionals, and I think the iPhone was the beginning of the end of a great thing.

I do realize I'm in the minority here, so there's no need for everyone to point out that I'm "wrong"
perversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #143
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by perversity View Post
The curved back makes putting it down and using it a non-option.
I will say getting a case--which is a necessity IMO especially if you're going to take it places, solves that problem as then the back is flat.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #144
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by perversity View Post
I really miss the days when Apple seemed to focus it's resources on creative professionals, and I think the iPhone was the beginning of the end of a great thing.
This is especially true as the iPhone 4 license cuts flash out as a potential language for development. Adobe was working on a conversion routine for CS that would allow mac developers to develop flash, and then convert the code into something that would run on the iPhone without having to dip into other languages themselves. For no reason other than spite, Apple took that tool away by forcing developers to use only approved languages for apps. Converted apps will be rejected for violating the license.

In fairness, Apple's desktop/laptop market control under the old regime was very, very limited. They prospered by having great margins, not great penetration. Their marketshare under the control-freak iPhone regime is impressive and nowhere near a ceiling (we'll have to wait and see what happens as they show up on more carriers per region). Sadly, not only have they become convinced that centralized control is the wave of the future, they've persuaded a lot of others too. Windows Phone 7 basically kicked the older, very open Windows Mobile environment to the curb and put Zunies with iPhone envy in charge of the store. With mobile environments locking down like crazy, one wonders how long desktop environments will remain open and adaptable to a variety of specific uses, rather than locked down to whatever the limits of the mass market demand.

As big and overpowerful as Google as is, their interests coincide with more open access, and they make great efforts to offer perks to niche power users of all different stripes in all of their products, even while serving mostly mass market users. I can't imagine how frightening the computing landscape would look right now without at least one powerful company having that type of culture.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #145
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Whilst I am very PRO apple one of the reasons I can be is taht there are alternatives!

I would be very dissapointed if the kind of control and limits that Apple putout were the standar or even the only way.

however at the moment it isnt and my Apple devices work perfectly for what I need them for, so I'm more than happy.

Im also happy with my linux server and my other devices with a variety of different 'systems' in place from completly locked down like my TV or Xbox to completely open like my Linux server.

I would also be dissapointed if open was the ONLY choice.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #146
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I would also be dissapointed if open was the ONLY choice.
Me too. I wouldn't go near an iPhone type OS, but I often recommend it to people. Same thing with closed system proprietary readers like Kindle, which took its cues from the Apple's music ecosphere a tech generation ago. I don't want it, but I know people who can benefit from it and won't even notice the restrictions.

So long as there is a reasonable amount of choice, I'm happy for others to have theirs. However, with Palm and WinMo both going from open environments to closed, I have felt my options restricting, and I wonder if that momentum towards restrictions will ever subside and the market will even out.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #147
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I have been reading books on it... seems fine to me.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:57 PM   #148
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I will be getting an iPad as soon as it's out. I am an avid ebook reader -- and my device is the iPhone. I was SHOCKED at how readable books (text) were on such a small screen, and an lcd one at that. I cannot stand to read books on a PC even with an lcd screen. But for some reason, I do not tire when reading on the iphone. The small size of the screen may actually be a benefit.

I don't have a kindle but I do have actual books. I prefer reading on my iphone to reading actual books. I read indoors in low light far more than outdoors in bright sun light.

Will the iPad be good for long form reading? I do not know. I'm sure eInk will be preferred by lots of people. Horses for courses and all that. I do expect that reading magazines and web content will be MUCH nicer on the iPad than my small screened iphone. I'm really excited by what Wired has been showing as a prototype interface for their magazine.

I like that the iphone is small, comfortable to hold. I'm not sure I'll use my iPad for reading books even when I get it (other than to try it out).

I don't think there is going to be a "universal truth" with regard to the reading experience. Some will think it fine, others will not find it acceptable.

The iPad doesn't have to be "as good" or "the best" book reader. It need merely be "good enough" -- as it does SO much more than a kindle. It is for those other reasons that I'm getting one. And it is the "more than good enough" reading on my iphone that makes me not even WANT an eInk device any more.

Lee
Oldie but goodie. I think I’m on my 8th iPad. I do read books on them. The new iPad Mini is my favorite form factor to date. The iPhone X is fat better than the iPhone I started reading on....but I still prefer the iPad mini for most reading.

Never did get an eInk device
Old 07-07-2019, 12:30 AM   #149
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Me too. When my contract completes in the next month or so, I'm going back to a normal phone and keeping my iPhone as an "ipod touch". Just don't want to pay that $30/mo data fee anymore.

Lee
Lol! I never went back to an old phone. There era of unlimited data eventually arrived
Old 07-07-2019, 12:45 AM   #150
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Oldie but goodie. I think I’m on my 8th iPad. I do read books on them. The new iPad Mini is my favorite form factor to date. The iPhone X is fat better than the iPhone I started reading on....but I still prefer the iPad mini for most reading.

Never did get an eInk device
This thread has been dead for almost a decade
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote