Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #286
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because of the Aura's increased resolution, images come out smaller then they do on a 6" reader. But what I want to know is how easy is it to read/see the images if the images are a map that's on the smallish side?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #287
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Hard to say without an example, but the maps at the statrt of Tad Williams - Shadowmarch f.e. are about 1/2 screensize on the aura, but crisp and clear to read. Didn't tinker with the file yet to upscale the image.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #288
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Images were often too small, even on the Glo. I have decided recently that I am going to always use Sigil to make suitable images full screen with svg tags. I always edit epubs anyway with Sigil to fix margins and line-height; now I am going to add these images to the changes I make. Maps are a prime candidate for this treatment. Should only take a minute or so per image. Of course, if the image's resolution is too low anyway, making it full screen may not help make it more legible. At which point we can blame the publishers for a poor job.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #289
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Images were often too small, even on the Glo. I have decided recently that I am going to always use Sigil to make suitable images full screen with svg tags. I always edit epubs anyway with Sigil to fix margins and line-height; now I am going to add these images to the changes I make. Maps are a prime candidate for this treatment. Should only take a minute or so per image. Of course, if the image's resolution is too low anyway, making it full screen may not help make it more legible. At which point we can blame the publishers for a poor job.
I also like rotating the map for a better fit to the screen.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #290
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Other than saying it is somewhere between 22 and 28, I can't say. I keep meaning to check when I do a reset, but don't remember until to late.
After a factory reset, the only three lines in the Kobo_ereader.conf file are:

[ApplicationPreferences]
CurrentLocale=en_US
EarliestChangeLog=2.4.1

After the setup was completed, there was more in the file but still nothing about font size or line spacing. Those lines appeared after I moved the sliders.

Left me wondering just what 0E1824F1 was and why it was set to true as the first line under [ApplicationPreferences]

Regards,
David
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #291
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I also like rotating the map for a better fit to the screen.
Good point. Do you have to rotate the image file, or is this possible just using the svg attributes?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #292
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I've always found this very strange. In some epubs that I've bought, the map is unreadable. On checking this, the image is often only around 400-500 pixels on the long side.

A new bigger map can readily be found using Google Image Search, and sometimes they're really huge, and of very good quality. I wonder why publishers include such small, unreadable maps in official releases, while the fandom for the books provides maps sometimes up and over 2500 pixels wide.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #293
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Not a map but I've found the maps in my copy of 1491 to be completely unreadable.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1367528480673.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	105272
Oh wait, it is a map after all. Lol.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #294
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Good point. Do you have to rotate the image file, or is this possible just using the svg attributes?
After some odd experiences with using the svg rotate, I've done it externally to the epub. I think the main issue was where to rotate for the transform. That is, transform=rotate(90,xxx,yyy) so I had to supply the correct xxx and yyy values to keep the rotated image in the viewbox.

Regards,
David
Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #295
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Not a map but I've found the maps in my copy of 1491 to be completely unreadable.
Attachment 105272
I have a better solution then to fiddle with low resolution maps that will just blur when you increase the size.

Borrow the pBook from the library and scan the map(s) as a high resolution image and use the scan in place of the low quality map(s).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #296
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a better solution then to fiddle with low resolution maps that will just blur when you increase the size.

Borrow the pBook from the library and scan the map(s) as a high resolution image and use the scan in place of the low quality map(s).
If it's a book that is well known, then you can often easily find bigger maps using Google image search. OK, often they are fan-made maps, but they are often just as good, if not better, than the originals.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #297
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Attachment 105272
On the left, this is supposed to be an Expresso Aura, right? It looks so black it's surprising!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #298
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app

Last edited by Sharkus; 05-03-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #299
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
My mistake, Canuck_in_Japan doesn't have an Espresso Aura.
Quote:
My one complaint with hardware is that black is bad for fingerprints as I suspected.
However, I'm sure I've seen someone saying that the brown one was very dark and had to be put in the light to show brown colours. Or am I making that up?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #300
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
However, I'm sure I've seen someone saying that the brown one was very dark and had to be put in the light to show brown colours. Or am I making that up?
You are not making that up. I have the Espresso and it is very dark. When I opened the box I thought they had shipped to me the Onyx and had to as the girlfriend to confirm the color. Of course I am color blind.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote