Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Reader Pocket battery life

This thing must be topping it's battery up every time I plug it into the USB port to shuffle books around, because I've been using it hours per day every day for the past two weeks that I've had it, and the battery charge indicator hasn't once dropped below full!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 AM   #2
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
I think it's the case, if it works like the 505 or the 600- they recognise a computer's USB port as a valid power source, so it's allowed to recharge the Reader. Handy!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
I think it's the case, if it works like the 505 or the 600- they recognise a computer's USB port as a valid power source, so it's allowed to recharge the Reader. Handy!
Exactly. Sony 600 and 300, whenever in USB mode, charge in parallel to accepting book transfers. You see the charging light switch colors to signal this.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Chimay
Chimay began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I did 3 weeks+ on a charge

I received it fully charged from Sony more than 3 weeks ago and never charged it before yesterday ! Needless to say I'm very happy with my 300 !
Chimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
My 300's battery seems to last forever too. It came fully charged out of the box and I still haven't charged it, other than the five minutes it takes to add some new books. I think Sony is selling themselves short when they say the charge will last two weeks.

The 600's battery seems to go down much quicker because I'm always using all the added features.

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 09-23-2009 at 09:41 AM.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
This thing must be topping it's battery up every time I plug it into the USB port to shuffle books around, because I've been using it hours per day every day for the past two weeks that I've had it, and the battery charge indicator hasn't once dropped below full!
I put all my books on last week, and charged up the device to full. In that week I have Started and finished reading The Two Towers, and the battery is still indicating full.

So, either Sony are making very conservative marketing claims, OR the battery guage is not calibrated properly, and will go from full to empty in a few page turns.

Time will tell.
boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Chimay
Chimay began at the beginning.

I was loosing a quarter of battery life every week, except for the last quarter which lasted about two days. So watch out when there's only one black square.
Chimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
My 300's battery seems to last forever too. It came fully charged out of the box and I still haven't charged it, other than the five minutes it takes to add some new books. I think Sony is selling themselves short when they say the charge will last two weeks.

The 600's battery seems to go down much quicker because I'm always using all the added features.
Which is your favourite the 505, 600 or 300 ?
Or rather which do you use the most ?
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 AM   #9
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
Battery meter

I read a book a day, sometimes two (I'm on a ship offshore) I find the meter goes down a quarter ever 3-4 books I read. I've never let it go below half. My best guess would be about 12-16 books a charge. With my last ebook reader (a Bebook) I once left it sitting on a shelf for 3 weeks, turned on, and when I picked it up it had the same full charge I left it with. So the claims that e-ink does not use any battery except to change pages seems valid to me.

Regards, Daryl
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post
Which is your favourite the 505, 600 or 300 ?
Or rather which do you use the most ?
Tough question. I do a lot of writing so I like to use the 600 to get away from the computer and work on editing with the note-taking feature.

But when it comes to reading ebooks I like to use the 300 because it's so light and comfortable to hold. Plus it's screen is clearer and easier to read at night with a small lamp before I go to bed.

The 505 was my first ebook reader and I loved it but I gave it away to a friend now that I have the 600 to take its place.

In short, I use the 300 most for reading and the 600 more for work.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Tough question. I do a lot of writing so I like to use the 600 to get away from the computer and work on editing with the note-taking feature.

But when it comes to reading ebooks I like to use the 300 because it's so light and comfortable to hold. Plus it's screen is clearer and easier to read at night with a small lamp before I go to bed.

The 505 was my first ebook reader and I loved it but I gave it away to a friend now that I have the 600 to take its place.

In short, I use the 300 most for reading and the 600 more for work.
Thanks, great response !
300com is offline   Reply With Quote