Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Cheapest tablet that will play videos

I'm considering joining a gym, and when I use the cardio machines I like to watch movies. The last time I joined, I watched movies on my palm T/X, but it is long gone. At home, I have the tv and a dvd player, but I'd like a portable option.

My requirements:

Cheap
Play AVI or MP4 video files
Cheap
7"
Cheap
Bluetooth would be a bonus, but not necessary

I won't be using the tablet for anything else.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
ZBoater
Gadgeteer Extraordinaire
ZBoater began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, Nexus 7, iPad 3
Nexus 7
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Kobo Arc 16 gb for $199. Will be released in November.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/19/k...ands-on-video/

After this review was released, Kobo decided to double the storage on the base model and offer 16GB for $199, 32GB for $249 and 64 gb for $299. Runs on ICS and Kobo has confirmed it will be updated to Jelly Bean in a few months.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-09-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Wrong link! Corrected to right one...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
princysharma1990
princysharma1990 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think Samsung Galaxy tabs are cheaper and provides much more features in much less prices.
princysharma1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by princysharma1990 View Post
I think Samsung Galaxy tabs are cheaper and provides much more features in much less prices.
Nah. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7 inch) is $250 (MSRP) for a 1GHz dual-core CPU, 1 GB RAM, 8GB storage (though with a microSD slot), and a 1024x600 screen. In terms of features and specifications, it is outclassed by the similarly-priced Google Nexus 7 (16 gig storage at that price, but no microSD slot, and a quad-core CPU) and the upcoming, and far cheaper, Kobo Arc ($200 for a 1.5GHz dual-core, 1 GB RAM, 16GB storage, and 1280x800 screen - at $250, you'll get 32GB storage, making it a far better deal, despite the lack of microSD slot, than the Tab at either price point)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Drop by your local BigLots and pick up a Polaroid PMID701i for $80. 7" ICS tablet... has a microSD slot, video out, and can play Netflix and with MX Player virtually all video formats. I have one (just to tinker around with) and it makes a nice simply player.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Drop by your local BigLots and pick up a Polaroid PMID701i for $80. 7" ICS tablet... has a microSD slot, video out, and can play Netflix and with MX Player virtually all video formats. I have one (just to tinker around with) and it makes a nice simply player.
This might work! Thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
This might work! Thanks!
Indeed. One of the cheap off-brand tablets. Biglots often has them for even cheaper than that.

That's definitely the route for someone who put 'cheap' on their list three times and 'good' not once.

$199 Nexus? $250 Galaxy?...please. Might as well suggest an iPad.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Indeed. One of the cheap off-brand tablets. Biglots often has them for even cheaper than that.

That's definitely the route for someone who put 'cheap' on their list three times and 'good' not once.

$199 Nexus? $250 Galaxy?...please. Might as well suggest an iPad.
Beware of battery life. These cheap no-name Chinese Android tablets often have extremely poor battery life. Better battery life and better screen is what you're paying for with the Nexus, Galaxy Tab, etc.

Depends what you need, of course. If a 1h video playing life is adequate for your needs, that's great.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Might be able to pick up a used 1st gen Kindle Fire for a reasonable price, would be much better than a lot of the generic no-name devices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Rich_D
Fanatic

If I go this route, the tablet will be tossed in a gym bag and handled roughly. I just need it for 30-60 minutes of distraction a couple times a week. Like I stated in my first post, I don't need anything else but video. $60-$80 is perfect.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Let us know if you get one. I've never actually tried one of those cheapies in person, and I'd like to hear how it works for you.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'd rather have the rumored $99 Nexus....I'm ready to order.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't really know anything about this seller, but someone just mentioned them to me as a source for cheaper tablets. Thought I'd pass it along...
http://www.lightinthebox.com/c/android-tablets_4781
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Personally I'd go for a Nexus or Samsung as you know they have the horsepower for any video file out there, another factor is the Samsung's already come with all the needed codecs.

I imagine a lot of video on the cheap knockoffs would end up a stuttery mess or like a slideshow.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote