Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #1
devnull
devnull began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question PDF editing: Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 or Boyue Likebook Mimas?

Hi,

I am interested in editing PDFs.
- Highlighting sentences and underlining words with the pen.
- Exporting the result as a new PDF.

In case I purchased an E-Ink reader, I have narrowed down my search to the Boyue Likebook Mimas.

BUT I wonder if I could have the same features in a Tablet (such as Samsung Galaxy Tab S4)

My questions:

- Is there an Android app that allows doing this kind of editions with PDFs?
- Is there an Android app that allows highlighting EPUBs and exporting them?
- Is there an Android app that allows browsing an EPUB cycling through each highlighted sections (in the same way as the Kindle software allows)?
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Hi devnull!

Welcome to the forum.

If you are serious about PDF editing I may suggest you an iPad 6 and a logitech crayon. There are a lot of great PDF applications out there, but I would recommend PDF Expert (about 7-10€ without the in-app purchase that you probably won't need).

Other good apps for note-taking on pdf:

- goodnotes5
- goodreader

all of them are paid applications.

Believe me, I'm the oposite of an apple fanboy, but for PDF editing you won't find any good application on android, probably with the exception of Metamoji Notes, but even this application works best on the iPad.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2019, 06:08 AM   #3
devnull

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Hi devnull!

Welcome to the forum.

If you are serious about PDF editing I may suggest you an iPad 6 and a logitech crayon. There are a lot of great PDF applications out there, but I would recommend PDF Expert (about 7-10€ without the in-app purchase that you probably won't need).

- goodnotes5
- goodreader

Believe me, I'm the oposite of an apple fanboy, but for PDF editing you won't find any good application on android, probably with the exception of Metamoji Notes, but even this application works best on the iPad.
Hi pazos!

Thanks for your welcome and prompt reply.

Actually you might be right. I'm not an Apple fanboy —quite the opposite if you ask me—, but I must admit that the iPad is an awesome product.

Before your advice, I was actually thinking about purchasing an iPad Air 2.

If you advice me to get it for the PDF editing experience, I actually might do. I have just ordered a Boyue Likebook Mimas. I'll be testing it but after reading some more reviews, I doubt its software is optimal for the task AND I have been reading some reviews that the

How about apps for EPUBs and Comics? I don't mind paid ones provided they are good enough.

Thanks again for your help pazos!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
IMO android has greater apps for epub reading (I'm thinking about Librera Pro, Readera, Lithium, MoonReader, Coolreader, KOReader...). I personally don't read ebooks on my iPad, because I have an eink reader working with KOReader that does everything I need.

I did test a few (freemium) ipad apps and they're IMO inferior to android ones. Two good alternatives are Marvin3 (but it is in english only) and Kybook3 (but has almost no css settings)

For comics iPad applications are way ahead of Android ones. My favourite is YacReader, which is, again IMO, A-WE-SO-ME

So, to resume: I'm using PDF Expert to read/annotate pdfs, YACReader to read CBZ/CBR comics and a separate device to read ebooks.

If you already bought a Mimas you can try it before purchasing a new ipad because I think it will do it fine with light pdf notation work and you can always install KOReader/Librera/whatever to read other reflowable formats.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
devnull

I received the Mimas 7 hours ago... and I have returned it 1 hour ago. :-)

I did some tests and played with the software, the interface and so on, highlighting PDFs and editing them... I wasn't impressed.

Considering I'll be using it to read comics too, being able to enjoy them in full colour is a definite plus, obviously. So I think I'm going to get the iPad Air 2019.

As you suggest me, I'll be using PDF Expert and YACReader. In order to read EPUBs I think I'm actually going to convert them to PDF via Calibre, for I really love being able to edit and doodle the books I'm reading.

My only question now: do you know if PDF Expert is able to read & EDIT Adobe Digital Editions DRM ebooks?

Thanks! :-)
Advert
Old 06-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #6
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
On Android I can recommend Squib, I use it for annotating pdfs occasionally and also for displaying my slides in classes at university (on Galaxy Tab S3).

I also use an Android eInk devices for notes, the Onyx Boox Note, also very happy with that, although it's quite expensive.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Hi devnull!

Welcome to the forum.

- goodnotes5
- goodreader

I use "GoodReader" on my iPad Pro and it really is one of those rare apps that's worth buying an iPad for alone. It has excellent annotation capabilities and allows you to export the annotated PDF as a new document. Highly recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
devnull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I use "GoodReader" on my iPad Pro and it really is one of those rare apps that's worth buying an iPad for alone. It has excellent annotation capabilities and allows you to export the annotated PDF as a new document. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the advice HarryT, I'll try that!

Tags
boyue, boyue likebook mimas, likebook, mimas, samsung galaxy