Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Will renaming the file change the name that displays on the Aa menu?
Yep...
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Will renaming the file change the name that displays on the Aa menu?
No. That's based on the name in the fonts. So if you rename the fonts, you will have Charis SIL Modified and Charis SIL Compact in your font menu.

Do text with KF8 as that is where you will see the biggest differences.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Any license notes with this one?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Any license notes with this one?
Nope.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nope.
So can this font be considered FOSS?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
Thanks so much for this font; it is a lifesaver!
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #22
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did change the names. One set is Charis SIL Modified and the other is Charis SIL Compact. Yes, I am allowed to do what I am doing and legally so.
Unfortunately, you interpretation is not quite in line with the License FAQ. I'm not saying this to be nitpicking. I think this is *great* work for e-readers, and would love to see this package widely distributed. If someone wanted to do it 'right,' there are a few licensing loose ends that need to be tidied up.

I'm am basing this from the OFL FAQ, found here:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=OFL

Not legal advice, and I'm not a lawyer.

Quote:
Users who install derivatives (Modified Versions) on their systems should not see any of the original Reserved Font Names in their font menus, for example. Again, this is to ensure that users are not confused and do not mistake one font for another and so expect features only another derivative or the Original Version can actually offer.

5.4 Am I not allowed to use any part of the Reserved Font Names?
You may not use individual words from the Reserved Font Names, but you would be allowed to use parts of words, as long as you do not use any word from the Reserved Font Names entirely. We do not recommend using parts of words because of potential confusion, but it is allowed. For example, if "Foobar" was a Reserved Font Name, you would be allowed to use "Foo" or "bar", although we would not recommend it.
So, if I'm reading that correctly, this font should be renamed entirely, (and a copy of the OFL license included with the distribution
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:07 AM   #23
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
I really like this font, but on my Kobo Aura H2o, the text gets cut off at the top and bottom of the screen when reading kebubs. Is there a way to fix it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 via Tapatalk
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:10 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
I really like this font, but on my Kobo Aura H2o, the text gets cut off at the top and bottom of the screen when reading kebubs. Is there a way to fix it?
I'd suggest asking on the Kobo forum. You're much more likely to get an answer there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:14 AM   #25
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number9 View Post

Perhaps adjusting line spacing on the device may help you.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #26
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Perhaps adjusting line spacing on the device may help you.
Tried that, of course, but unfortunately not. I'll check in the Kobo thread. 👍😊

Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #27
kleinjar
Connoisseur
kleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: none
wonky bold rendering

I'm really loving this font JSwolf, but I've found the rendering of bold letters to be wonky at smaller sizes on my paperwhite. Any chance of a fix? im using the latest charis sil modified, i believe.

Photo attached. The wonky bold text is in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1264
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	149849  
kleinjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinjar View Post
I'm really loving this font JSwolf, but I've found the rendering of bold letters to be wonky at smaller sizes on my paperwhite. Any chance of a fix? im using the latest charis sil modified, i believe.

Photo attached. The wonky bold text is in the middle.
I'm currently working on modifying the newest version of Charis SIL. It will have some kerning as well as all the features the current modified version has. I hope to have a test version ready early this week. There will not be an updated smallcaps version just yet.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Jon, as mentioned in post #22 above, the current name violates the licence terms of the font. If you're modifying the font, perhaps this would be a good opportunity to change the name entirely?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Jon, as mentioned in post #22 above, the current name violates the licence terms of the font. If you're modifying the font, perhaps this would be a good opportunity to change the name entirely?
What would you suggest for a new name?