Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #61
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Using FW 4.15.12920 immediately produced the highlighting problem again. For every book I tried. (Attached one of them) Did not yet encountered the page problem yet, but previously that happened after a day of usage.
Attached Files
File Type: epub scrambled.epub (377.5 KB, 166 views)
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #62
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Using FW 4.15.12920 immediately produced the highlighting problem again. For every book I tried. (Attached one of them) Did not yet encountered the page problem yet, but previously that happened after a day of usage.
1st Observation: I can immediately replicate the issues

2nd Observation: Completely regenerating a new TOC fixes it, so David's guess was right on.

I will continue to see if I can identify what, exactly, about the Toc is causing the Kobo to loose it's ..... lunch.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #63
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
2nd Observation: Completely regenerating a new TOC fixes it, so David's guess was right on.
There are 6 options to regenerate the TOC: which one did you use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toc.png
Views:	196
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	171916  
Old 06-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #64
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Okay, wow, the conditions to replicate this are a little exotic.

First, you need 2 TOC entries that point the same file. In the sample file provided, you can see an example in the first Chapter:

<navPoint id="num_3" playOrder="3">
<navLabel>
<text>WXAJAX CGASHKR 10</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="Text/Section002.htm"/>
<navPoint id="num_4" playOrder="4">
<navLabel>
<text>JTV</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="Text/Section002.htm#u45555f1e-69fc-48ec-bef8-8b9f79f176a2"/>
</navPoint>

(Note, It doesn't matter if the two entries are nested or not.)

Then, you have try to save a position that is significantly after the position of the TOC position ID, (but still in the same file), either by highlighting, or exiting the book (ie, trying to save your current page.) The text immediately following the ID is ok, but the text approx 2 pages after will not save in the database.

PS: Have you ever tried the KoboTouch Extended Driver in Calibre? I know some people prefer the more technically accurate formatting of pure epub, but trying to test this was a great reminder to me how terrible the performace of epub reader is compared to Kepub.. especially when it comes to Highlighting and footnotes.

Last edited by rashkae; 06-14-2019 at 11:13 AM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #65
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
PS: Have you ever tried the KoboTouch Extended Driver in Calibre?
Yes I did about 2 years ago. I was not impressed by the margin layout of the resulting kepub, and you had to use an kobo_extra.css, so I decided not to go that way. It might be improved at the moment, though. I've not checked it out lately, because until the latest FW there was no need.
Footnotes are indeed horrible in kobo for epubs.
Advert
Old 06-16-2019, 02:06 AM   #66
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Okay, wow, the conditions to replicate this are a little exotic.

First, you need 2 TOC entries that point the same file. In the sample file provided, you can see an example in the first Chapter:

<navPoint id="num_3" playOrder="3">
<navLabel>
<text>WXAJAX CGASHKR 10</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="Text/Section002.htm"/>
<navPoint id="num_4" playOrder="4">
<navLabel>
<text>JTV</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="Text/Section002.htm#u45555f1e-69fc-48ec-bef8-8b9f79f176a2"/>
</navPoint>

(Note, It doesn't matter if the two entries are nested or not.)

Then, you have try to save a position that is significantly after the position of the TOC position ID, (but still in the same file), either by highlighting, or exiting the book (ie, trying to save your current page.) The text immediately following the ID is ok, but the text approx 2 pages after will not save in the database.
That's what I missed. I tested early in the chapters where everything works. Going to the end of the chapter, it had the problem. And with a little testing, it appears that anywhere in the first 25 paragraphs, everything is OK. Somewhere after that, the problems occurs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #67
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I found another bug where I lose my current reading position in a epub.
Kobo Glo HD.
How to reproduce: While reading epub, close the sleep cover. Wait until it shuts down completely as per Power Saving settings. When I reopen it, I'm back to page 1.
Because of that and the french canadian keyboard bug, I'm back to the previous firmware version.
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo1984 View Post
I found another bug where I lose my current reading position in a epub.
Kobo Glo HD.
How to reproduce: While reading epub, close the sleep cover. Wait until it shuts down completely as per Power Saving settings. When I reopen it, I'm back to page 1.
That's almost definitely another way to reproduce the problem we've been discussing. Or it is an issue with the database.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #69
lel24
lel24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Does anyone know what this is about?

http://api.kobobooks.com/1.0/ReleaseNotes/119

Also, aren't the beta program and kobo insiders two different things? As a few other members have pointed out, the beta affiliate could be actually used for beta software soon. (I think this probably isn't the case though).
lel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #70
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lel24 View Post

Also, aren't the beta program and kobo insiders two different things? As a few other members have pointed out, the beta affiliate could be actually used for beta software soon. (I think this probably isn't the case though).
It may or may not have to do with the X-Kobo-Accept-Preview header which is sent in the HTTP request by the firmware under some cases.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #71
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I noticed they seem to have fixed the bug where the pop-up for the lighting adjustment didn't reflect the current brightness.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #72
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lel24 View Post

It's basically a placeholder Kobo is using with the beta firmware releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
It may or may not have to do with the X-Kobo-Accept-Preview header which is sent in the HTTP request by the firmware under some cases.
The header is needed, plus other things. Adding the header won't get the beta firmware. But, it might block releases from being downloaded.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #73
MeiGuddet
MeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura (Mark 5)
Issue with the backlight

Sorry if this was mentioned before, but I didn't find it in the previous posts.
My reader is a Kobo Aura 1st generation which is running a patched firmware 4.15.12920. When switching the Kobo on, the backlight is always on, but the backlight icon is not shown. In order to switch the light off I need to press the button 2 times: first to show the backlight icon (and also light gets a bit more brighter) and then a second press which turns the light off. Did anybody else notice this? And is there a fix for this?
MeiGuddet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #74
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeiGuddet View Post
Sorry if this was mentioned before, but I didn't find it in the previous posts.
My reader is a Kobo Aura 1st generation which is running a patched firmware 4.15.12920. When switching the Kobo on, the backlight is always on, but the backlight icon is not shown. In order to switch the light off I need to press the button 2 times: first to show the backlight icon (and also light gets a bit more brighter) and then a second press which turns the light off. Did anybody else notice this? And is there a fix for this?
I have access to two of the Kobo Aura 1st gen machines running 4.15.12920 and neither one has this issue. Neither machine is patched though, what patches do you have installed?
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #75
MeiGuddet
MeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura (Mark 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I have access to two of the Kobo Aura 1st gen machines running 4.15.12920 and neither one has this issue. Neither machine is patched though, what patches do you have installed?
These are my patches:
Code:
  src/nickel.yaml:
    Custom menubar - reduce height by 33%: yes
    Custom reading footer style: yes
    Custom synopsis/details line spacing: yes
    Custom synopsis/font size: yes
    Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area: yes
    Fix reading stats/author name cut off when series is showing: yes
    Increase the cover size in library: yes
    Increase the view details container size: yes
    Only Reading and My Books: yes